584,829 active members*
5,150 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Mastercam or Gibbs?

Mastercam or Gibbs?

Hi mastercam users I am currently using bobcad v17 to do my cnc programming wich is ok for simple 2d but I would like something a little faster and easier for 2.5d and 3d...

I have used Gibbs in the past and really liked it but I here a lot more about mastercam have any of you mastercamer's used gibbs is one truley better then the other...

What do you guys like, and why.....

Thanks for any help in trying to make a decision......!

The choice really is yours and yours alone. Though I personally never used Gibbs I have seen others use it. It looks like a good software, but so is Mastercam. You may want to concider that more use Mastercam than any other software. I too use BCC V17-21 and now Training on MC V8 and V9.

If you already used Gibbs stay with it unless your looking for more. Then go with MC.

The choice is yours really. Go with what you think will be best for what you make.

Cheers :cheers:
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

mastercam or gibbs
    thems fightin words , could get some good arguements over that question

they both are powerfull softwares , and most people using either or swear by what they use , i beleave this is one that boils down to personal preference,ive played some with both and each has its advantages , and they are quite different softwares

Some of what I find as I am up agaisnt 4 deals with Gibbs and most are leaning toward MC because they like the control and all the options and if you use solids how MC toolpaths work allot easer with Solids.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

If I was you get a Demo from both and see what you like, and see if they each have what you want. Then findout how are they going to support you.
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    If I was you get a Demo from both and see what you like, and see if they each have what you want. Then findout how are they going to support you.
    Thanks cadcam, Gibbs does not offer a demo but they do give a 30 day money back, and I am not sure yet if mastercam has a demo or not I have used gibbs before but only 2d so not sure how good the 2.5d and 3d are.

you said in other post that mastercam is good with 3d solids is it allot easier then the gibbs?

I am also looking into price of both not sure what the MC cost yet but for the full 3d gibbs it is about $13k i am going to google the MC and see where the closest dealer is and if they offer a demo and how much it cost....

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated...... :

Actully gibbs give a 60day money back as I have a customer that is 30 days into and looking to give it back and go with MC, and I have a demo in few hours for another shop in the same place if they like the MC to.

Mastercam has Demo copys you can get from the dealer, I do suggest a demo first from the dealer so you get an Idea how it works.

If you can't find the local Dealer let me know I will find for you.

The Gibbs guys are telling me that mastercam handles the solids better and I have seen.
    Cadcam

As a power user for both MC and VG I can honestly say MC offers more. But you pay for it. Gibbs is really good with really good toopaths, but MC is great with great toolpaths and much MUCH more control of how things work throughout the program, including support.

Gibbs will get the job done. Mastercam will get it done a bit better and usually a bit faster.

I think MC is more expensive, but you are getting extra value with MC and any price difference will be offset once you got rolling with MC.

I'm not bashing Gibbs at all. It's my second fav cam package (of the nearly dozen different ones that I've used) I cut my programming teeth on GibbsNC/CAD/CAM for a mac before they had a windows version, and my first "Programming" job was using Virtual Gibbs from dos.

Bottom line, get a dealer from each place come to your place and do a demo with your parts. Then make your decision.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Thanks Guys,

It Sounds Like Getting Some Demos Is The Way To Go So That Is What I Shall Do.....

I Have A Gibbs Dealer Only About An Hour A Way He Said I Have To Go There For My Gibbs Demo, But It Looks Like New Berlin, Wi Is My Closest Mc Dealer So I Will Give Them A Call And See If They Have A Demo They Can Send....(i Live In Upper Michigan And Not Allot Up Here!)

PP-TG,
    Sounds like the Gibbs Guy up there is not looking to sell software. When I sold and supported Mastercam it took me an hour minimum to get where I was going. I will talk to the Gibbs guy down here in Illinois to see if he has jurisdiction in the UP if you are interested. I use and teach both softwares they are both good but if you just get a demo version in the mail and try to use yourself with no training or anybody to show you how they work you will be double confused. Mastercam has more toolpath and does more but do you need more? Gibbs has a feature called profiler that is quick to pull of 2-d geometry form a solid awesome tool you can do similar in mastercam but not as quick. I agree with Matt on most of what hehad to say. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Cadcam uses both. I don't agree that the solids toolpath are easier in Masercam but that is strictly my opinion. I think you have a dealer for Mastercam in Minnesota or lower Mi the people in Wisconsin are actually from Ilinoisstop at Greenbay I think. See the demo from both dealers and make your mind up . Also make sure you find where are the closest training centers to your location and are they experienced with what you do that is a plus as well. I hear there are some good Mastercam sales and support people in Lower Michigan.
    www.cad2cam.net
    Programmer/ Certified Cam Instructor

Thanks Steve,

I will look into the training and support issues you bring up, you are right there it don't make a hole lot of sense to get demos if i don't know how to use them....(chair) .

I have used the gibbs 2d mill and lathe, I did not have any training on that and i picked it up ok with no training and the place i was running at the time had no one who even new how to turn it on!so they were no help! but the gibbs books were.(i am sure it had lots of features i did not even know about thou).

Earlier when i said i need to go to the gibbs guy it was not because they don't what to make a sale(These guys are actually really good guys bought all my equipment from them so far) but so they could give me a demo of it, they said i could bring a 3d file or they would have one and we could go through programming it together to see how it works. Because they said gibbs does not offer a demo version so they really could not show me much here.

I am not i a big hurry probablly won't be buying for around 6 months only been i buiss. for 1yr. so still having them start up cash flow problems. So I have time to check out both software's....Thanks again,.......:cheers:

Steve is correct I do not use both but have used it a little in the past but my main software has Been MC.

I don't agree that the solids toolpath are easier in Masercam but that is strictly my opinion.
    This is not opionon but the customers that I have been demoing for latly that have bought Gibbs.

I just came from a demo 1hr ago that was a gibbs shop looking at returning there software.
    Gibbs is a good software and yes I perfer MC anyday not just because i sell it but as a programmer for allot of diffrent shops.
    Cadcam

Wink

hi kids ,
    not to ster the pot but as most have said it is personal preferance as both surfcam and mastercam are coparable in price and service, i have used surfcam for years and i would recomend it and they will do a demo almost anyware,these two are great for 3d work and lathe but for 2.5 we use solutionware and it is simple and fast.

good luck in your dicision

hi john,
    I have never used surfcam I should try it out I do not mind your opinion, or trying a different software.
    Cadcam, I too mostly use Mastercam, Don't get me wrong I make most of my living with this software but Gibbscam is a very good solid software as a matter of fact. The people returning Gibbs may not know how to use the solid features properly I'm thinking. So you are up it sounds like, good luck with that sale. That is why I say it is important to be trained on the software by somebody who knows what it is all about and what you are doing at your company. I hear you are very good at what you do out there in California.
    www.cad2cam.net
    Programmer/ Certified Cam Instructor

he people returning Gibbs may not know how to use the solid features properly I'm thinking.
    I agree in some cases this is very true.

hat is why I say it is important to be trained on the software by somebody who knows what it is all about and what you are doing at your company.
    This is a Huge deal with any software.
    Cadcam