585,679 active members*
5,164 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach PathPilot™ > Physical Feed Rate Override knob for PCNC 1100

View Poll Results: Would a physical FRO knob be better than controlling the FRO slider with a mouse?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, a physical knob you could hold on to while watching the tool and part would be better

6 100.00%
  • No, Id rather have to look at the screen instead, make sure the cursor is over the slider, etc

0 0%
Page 4 of 5 2345

Re: Physical Feed Rate Override knob for PCNC 1100

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    Hi Mike
    I'm sure you've been following the Vista thread, not only does the supplied software have issues but once they're solved you'll need an update for each new release (as Pete mentioned above). The question is, who will provide this? I also have reservations about distributing modified Tormach files.
    Reversing the pendant direction and generating a beep for the Shuttle button press can be done, but as you've pointed out. updating PathPilot will require that you repeat the changes and presumably installing Pete's code (I don't know exactly what he changes but I can imagine) will probably wipe out your changes again. I'd be interested to know why Tormach didn't implement the beep because it can be made to work and to react immediately to the button press. They appear to have tried it but commented it out - perhaps because their implementation caused unusual delays (is Tormach out there???).
    Copying your changes to a new release can be a pain but a good merge program can help a lot. I use WinMerge on a windows machine. You have to be careful with line endings but WinMerge handles linux files properly, even under windows.
    I'm working on a system to install full pendant like functionality which requires a couple of additional files but requires only 3 additional lines of code in the Tormach files. This can easily be installed with a script and would be compatible with all the versions of PathPilot I've seen so far. It avoids the need to distribute Tormach code and to provide a new version for each update. The test code works great, but my new pendant may take just a little longer
    Step

PS. Volume controls, to mention just one example, generally "slow down" as the volume decreases. Google can provide you with a multitude of examples including https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/g...ometer/gpk/204
    Step- We should team up on a distro. The slogan is "Enabling Your Ideas"... and I take that beyond making a chip. There's a lot to be learned from this platform.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    Hi Mike
    I'm sure you've been following the Vista thread, not only does the supplied software have issues but once they're solved you'll need an update for each new release (as Pete mentioned above). The question is, who will provide this? I also have reservations about distributing modified Tormach files.
    Reversing the pendant direction and generating a beep for the Shuttle button press can be done, but as you've pointed out. updating PathPilot will require that you repeat the changes and presumably installing Pete's code (I don't know exactly what he changes but I can imagine) will probably wipe out your changes again. I'd be interested to know why Tormach didn't implement the beep because it can be made to work and to react immediately to the button press. They appear to have tried it but commented it out - perhaps because their implementation caused unusual delays (is Tormach out there???).
    Copying your changes to a new release can be a pain but a good merge program can help a lot. I use WinMerge on a windows machine. You have to be careful with line endings but WinMerge handles linux files properly, even under windows.
    I'm working on a system to install full pendant like functionality which requires a couple of additional files but requires only 3 additional lines of code in the Tormach files. This can easily be installed with a script and would be compatible with all the versions of PathPilot I've seen so far. It avoids the need to distribute Tormach code and to provide a new version for each update. The test code works great, but my new pendant may take just a little longer
    Step

PS. Volume controls, to mention just one example, generally "slow down" as the volume decreases. Google can provide you with a multitude of examples including https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/g...ometer/gpk/204
    I have one of the Vista pendants, and never really got used to it, I liked the shuttle better, maybe because I was used to it?? I didnt like the overrun on one of the settings either. But there are a lot of the guys that like them.

I have changed my .ini files to what I like, and the table X&Y travels, pretty much got the machine and software like I want it and the new updates are a bit of a pain.

The sound is something I would really like as you would know if the key presses were good without looking at the keyboard.
    The other thing I would like is a center function in the Text/Engrave conversational function for the Y axis.

I knew about the nonlinear VC pots, I had one use for them in a regulated voltage supply back in my radio days, and at the surplus store thats all they seemed to have.
    mike sr

I have so many changes now that I am going to makeup a sheet with a list of all of them and line numbers so that theoretically I can drag out the sheet and put them back in?? just a thought but it should work for a memory jog........

I would like to save my .ini file and print it out, anyone know how??
    mike sr

I had a chance to use the override knobs assembly, worked very nice, I could find the knobs by feel and not take my eyes off the workpiece!
    mike sr

This looks to be a very handy product. Any idea when they will be available to the general public?

Bill
    Joescnc 4x4 R&P Router, Minimill, Minilathe, CNC Foamcutter, laser cutter, Vectric Aspire. http://makermasters.com, http://themakersguide.com

Quote Originally Posted by bgriggs View Post
    This looks to be a very handy product. Any idea when they will be available to the general public?

Bill
    Buildin' more as we speak... Ill shoot ya a PM

Attachment 348856

Quote Originally Posted by petenc View Post
    Buildin' more as we speak... Ill shoot ya a PM

Attachment 348856
    I didnt see them on your website yet Peter.

I used mine extensively today, feedrate and max velocity, I made a new switch housing for the PDB (one off) and of course nothing was quite right ha!! It worked fine without having to look at the control box, thats worth the price of admission alone........

I am going to have to find a better spot for it though as it and the jog shuttle are too close to each other, minor problem.....
    Now to figure a way to keep the coolant off the knobs, another minor problem..
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I didnt see them on your website yet Peter.

I used mine extensively today, feedrate and max velocity, I made a new switch housing for the PDB (one off) and of course nothing was quite right ha!! It worked fine without having to look at the control box, thats worth the price of admission alone........

I am going to have to find a better spot for it though as it and the jog shuttle are too close to each other, minor problem.....
    Now to figure a way to keep the coolant off the knobs, another minor problem..
    Yea.... the website... its work in progress, and hope to get it updated in the next week or two! I put mine on my spindle door, and running production, I have it programmed with the standard settings (start/feedhold/stop and feed/rpm/maxvel) as it seems the most natural just to reach up, bump it to start cycle, and bring in the tool with the maxvel slider. I really want to have another one though to control my dro's w/ the bluetooth keypad, just for the one offs and whenever I am setting up a lot. I know it may sound biased, but it really does exactly what I wanted when I started the project.

That's great your putting it to use!

Pete

I was at Gateway electronics and found a switch thats made to my liking and wont fly apart when the button pops out like the other one did, and I bought two of them just to have a spare..........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0499.jpg  
    mike sr

Have you released the feed override box for sale?

Bill
    Joescnc 4x4 R&P Router, Minimill, Minilathe, CNC Foamcutter, laser cutter, Vectric Aspire. http://makermasters.com, http://themakersguide.com

Bill
    I have one and it is handy especially on a new program!
    mike sr

Have you released the feed override box for sale?

Bill
    I have one of the Ninja boxes and would loose my mind if I had to go back!!!!

https://moonlightprototype.com/
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post

It says "SOLD OUT"

Quote Originally Posted by Steve303 View Post
    It says "SOLD OUT"
    Bummer... I am working out some PP 2.0 performance issues. They aren't playing nice. I will throw them back up on the page once I get everything dialed in. Ask questions if you have any.

Thanks,
    Pete

So you are in the PP2.0 beta program? Are you at liberty to reveal anything about what is new/better/different?

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    So you are in the PP2.0 beta program? Are you at liberty to reveal anything about what is new/better/different?
    Yes, I am. And I will not discuss until they do. In regards to ninjaKnobs, it still works... its just sluggish, and I will come up with the solution.

I know you enjoy development, and you may appreciate that I am working on my own "flavor" of PP (or interface for linuxcnc) for the 1100. Currently, it is all based out of .NET, yes Windows, and I have been fortunate enough to run several different controls (DMG Celos, windows based OSP Thinc, and Haas) to know exactly what I want. The linuxcnc/Tormach controller is currently doing what it does best... steps and controls the machine. The idea is that leaves the interface work to the client computer to do the heavy lifting of Fusion 360, running USB devices such as pendants, tool management direct from fusion, programming during a machining cycle, and more conversational apps that now can directly control the machine. In my mind, nothing would be better than running fusion directly from the control. If you want to chat more PM me, or lemme know and Ill fire up a thread.

Thanks,
    Pete

A vastly improved UI sounds interesting. Why not start a separate thread and perhaps others will chime in with ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post

Same here!

Hey Pete, do you have an ETA on PP 1.9.12 support?
    Tormach PCNC 1100 Series 3 w/ Rapid Turn, Fusion 360

Quote Originally Posted by sharmstr View Post
    Same here!

Hey Pete, do you have an ETA on PP 1.9.12 support?
    Yea! Ill get it going, I missed the update. Thanks for the heads up!

Pete

Hi everyone! I'm using MPG to overide Feedrate with "halui.feed-override.value"

It had problem with UI, the feed rate slider not update when value changed.

How to implement this?

Page 4 of 5 2345