584,805 active members*
4,987 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

SX3 EMI Filter

The white smoke got out of the EMI filter on my Syil SX3 mill and the spindle no longer works. I didn't think I was pushing the machine too hard but I guess I could have overstepped the 8A rating on the filter and I'm hoping that nothing else too sinister is going on.

Is this filter actually required?
    Does anybody know if I can get a replacement in Australia?

Picture here: https://goo.gl/photos/XH5h2EuVeSioUudF9

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Re: SX3 EMI Filter

Hello moc,

Presently own one of this machines and have had issues in the past with the spindle electronics to the tune of replacing 3 spindle boards. Hopefully this will be my last replacement but not holding my breath.

Although my machine didn't come with the EMI filter, this filter is just to suppress noise picked up from external sources through the AC line, IMHO it does not provide much protection against catastrophic events. This is why it probably fried due to an event in your spindle board, lets hope not. You should be able to bypass the filter without any issues to the machine operation, before that I would check the main board to see if the fuse still intact. You may have the all dreaded main board burn out, I presently have two boards like that. Just hang in there it is not rocket science but a bit of electronics knowledge may be helpful.

Cheers!! from way under (from your point of view).
    Carlos

Thank you for the reply Carlos.

I had a good look at the spindle board and there are no obvious signs that something has gone wrong there. The fuse is OK.

I'm concerned that it's still OK because the filter fried before the spindle board did and if I bypass the filter then the true problem will present itself and fry the spindle board instead. The filters are cheap but will take a couple of weeks to get to Australia. If they inadvertently offer protection for the more expensive spindle board then perhaps I'm better off waiting for it.

So I guess my options are:
    1) Bypass the filter hoping that it was the cause of the problem and all will be well
    2) Bypass the filter and if it wasn't the cause but a casualty then I might fry the spindle board
    3) Wait for the new (cheap) filter, plug it in and see if it fries again.

Do you know what caused your spindle boards to burn out?

I was pushing the machine a little harder than I ever have before things started going bad. I was using a 16mm rougher taking 1.75mm cuts 7.5mm deep at about 600mm/minute. The machine seemed to cope with it OK. The markings on the filter would indicate that it is only rated to 8 amps so I'm hoping I just exceed that and fried it.

moc,

I do agree that waiting for a new EMI filter is the best approach to your problem, if indeed it provided protection to the spindle board then i would not muck around with it.

I remember that I was also running my spindle way up there in speed before it ran away and ended up having to replace the spindle board. The design of these boards let a lot to be desire to say the least. Hopefully you still have a good working board since the fuse is still intact, This is one indication that the board didn't draw the worst case current.

Hope you get your mill up and running and do not have to spend more on a new spindle board.

Cheers!!
    Carlos

Happy days.

I needed to make some parts and couldn't wait for the new EMI filter so I took a chance at bypassing it and I'm happy to report all is well.

I did find a loose connection on one of the leads on the power switch (retaining screw had worked loose) which potential would have caused some power issues that I suspect the EMI filter couldn't deal with. I will fit the new filter when it arrives as it just may have saved my spindle board.

Thanks for your help Carlos