585,956 active members*
4,332 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

1989 Hurco Km3P retrofit

I have an 89 Hurco KM3P with a toasty dual axis board. All else is good, but I cant seem to find a replacement board. I have wanted to do a retrofit for some time and this seemed like a good opportunity. I would like to use mach3 for the control software. I definitely want to maintain my current servos, encoders and servo amps if possible. I know mach3 doesn't directly incorporate encoder feedback, but I have heard of people doing it. What hardware do I need to make this build possible.
    my servos are electrocraft E26-2
    Encoders are BEI Motion systems E25BG-4R-1000-ABZ-7406R-LED-SC-S
    Servo amps are Rantronis /CMC
    I would like this to be a build thread, I have minimal (if any) electrical/electronics understanding and have yet to find a retrofit thread I could understand. so this will be a step by step.
    If anyone needs KM3P parts,PM me. all electronics are going on ebay.
    thanks
    -Alex

Re: 1989 Hurco Km3P retrofit

LinuxCNC will allow you to choose the loop (incorporate feedback), is free, stable and has wizards for setup.
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Hi,

I have a Hurco KM3P with some errors on the Z axis. I suspect it's the Personality Board, but i'm not sure. The machine is running ok, but when i run a drilling program, as soon as the drill touches the material, i get an overload error message on the Z axis. Is there a way to cancel the overload sensor (if there is such a sensor)? I know how to use the right parameters so that i don't overload the machine, so i don't need the overload indicator. Can it be canceled somehow? Otherwise i have to scrap the machine, but it's a good machine and there has to be a way to make the machine ignore this overload message and go on with the drilling.

If there is a certain board that i have to change, maybe you have it, since you are retrofitting your machine.
    Thanks.

Shane Martin has allot of experience with the older Hurcos. He did a complete newer board retrofit on our 1980 MB2 years ago and it worked flawless. Contact him and he can sure help you with any of your technical questions, or replacement parts.
    Hurco Autobend servo Amplifier Board Repair, At Martin CNC
    Pic Engraving Software Products
    http://www.picengrave.com

Thanks for the reply. I'll contact him.