585,996 active members*
3,901 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Dyna Mechtronics > Finally got a dm3000 and looking to convert to mach 3
Page 3 of 4 1234

Finally got a dm3000 and looking to convert to mach 3

I do have the script I believe. So does MRM.
    The speed will be controlled by a single pulse per rev encoder and Mach.
    IIRC there is a brake on the stock spindle motor that must be energized to release. As shown on your schematic. I use a Bardac 1600i and it doesn't use the tach signal. I think I have the brake wired to the contactor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A lazy man does it twice.

Re: Finally got a dm3000 and looking to convert to mach 3

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	driver.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	226.7 KB 
ID:	307536Thank you! I'm very thankful you might still have that macro because I'm not familiar at all with writing my own. I've attached a picture of the line driver I had to purchase. It simply plugs into the dg4s spindle driver as an encoder. I need to hook up the a and b channel but I'm not seeing anything in the schematics

Are you still running the original spindle motor? An SEM?

Btw I just posted the tool change macro on its own thread just for those who might need it. You will have to copy and paste it, change its extension and install it in the Mach3 folder.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Are you still running the original spindle motor? An SEM?

Btw I just posted the tool change macro on its own thread just for those who might need it. You will have to copy and paste it, change its extension and install it in the Mach3 folder.

I can't thank you enough! Yes I am still using the original spindle motor sem. I can get specs on it later on if you need

It should be the same one I have. Yours isnt the H model is it?

In my case there are 3 small cables marked B (brake), T (Tach), and another on mine with a broken marker but I believe it is an encoder of some kind.
    A large cable marked A which contains the A+, A- & AS markings. I have the A+ connected to the A1 and the A- to the A2 of the Bardac. AS goes to a chassis ground.

The small cables T & ? (the broken marker) are not connected to anything. The B cable is connected to the 120v input of the drive, this disengages the brake as long as there is power to the drive.

I am not using any of the original encoders on the spindle or motor. I will eventually use a 1 signal per rev encoder or switch of some kind. I was able to control the spindle speeds just fine but it wasnt being verified thru Mach so threading would have been an issue.

It should be the same one I have. Yours isnt the H model is it?

In my case there are 3 small cables marked B (brake), T (Tach), and another on mine with a broken marker but I believe it is an encoder of some kind.
    A large cable marked A which contains the A+, A- & AS markings. I have the A+ connected to the A1 and the A- to the A2 of the Bardac. AS goes to a chassis ground.

The small cables T & ? (the broken marker) are not connected to anything. The B cable is connected to the 120v input of the drive, this disengages the brake as long as there is power to the drive.

I am not using any of the original encoders on the spindle or motor. I will eventually use a 1 signal per rev encoder or switch of some kind. I was able to control the spindle speeds just fine but it wasnt being verified thru Mach so threading would have been an issue.
    Mine isn't the "h" model just a regular dm3000 as far as I know. I will try and hooking it up the way you just explained and see how it goes. As for threading , on my old cnc lathe I was able to wire up the c3 index pulse board and it read the rpm allowing me to thread . I still have the board so hopefully I'll be able to get it all working and communicating with each other

The c3 or similar sensor would work great.
    What are you hooking the motor up to? That little driver is only for the encoder isnt it?

The c3 or similar sensor would work great.
    What are you hooking the motor up to? That little driver is only for the encoder isnt it?
    Are you referring to the differential line driver? That gets plugged into the servo driver (dg4s)

Does the servo driver take the place of the Bardac?

Does the servo driver take the place of the Bardac?
    From what I understand yes.

I was unable to luck out and get a hold of a bardac at a decent price and after searching the web I've stumbled across a couple sites where people used the dg4s. I attached the pdf manual for the driver. Just waiting on the differential driver to be delivered so I can try and hook it up. Sadly my wires weren't labeled with anything. The only thing I have to go off of in the black cable coming out of the box on the servo motor. The cable has 8 smaller wires in it along with the little schematic on the back of the cover.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DG4S_series_manual.pdf  

You have 1 single trunk with 8 conductors? Mine is 3 different sets of what appears to be 2 conductor shielded and 1 larger SO cord 3 conductor which contains the A+, A- & AS wires. I have never opened the motor to see if it was rewired. I dont believe it was though. How about a pic? Mine also has wire markers on each wire.

Thick white to Arm1, thick black to Arm2 thick green to chassis ground if motor spins wrong direction, reverse Arm1 and Arm2.

Here are some pictures quick of what kind of wires I'm dealing with.

Mine is different. However I am betting the White, Black and Green are the motor wiring.

Did you twist the other pairs together? Mine has 3 additional pair and yours only 2. Nothing like consistency with the same model is there?

Mine is different. However I am betting the White, Black and Green are the motor wiring.

Did you twist the other pairs together? Mine has 3 additional pair and yours only 2. Nothing like consistency with the same model is there?
    They were all braided like that when I stripped the cable . Here's a picture of the wires going to the motor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160102_142115.jpg  

I may have a different way to wire this up, instead of using the differential line driver I can use the original heds-6310 but Ill have to try and trace it back. The original heds along with the original index both get plugged to a small board. From there I can see another plug that would more than likely go to the original spindle board. Luckily for me I did take several pictures prior to removing the old electronics and I found that a- is brown, a+ is red, as is green, neg is thick white and pos is thick red. I've also attached a picture I've found on an encoder. No idea if its from a 6310 or not but its something to think about, Tomorrow i'll take a closer look at all this and hopefully it will all come together

Did you reuse some of the original eletronics for the spindle like shown in the picture? The more I think about this stupid spindle the more I stress myself out. This may be out of my league
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160213_130708.jpg  

I did not reuse those parts. I still have them but used the Bardac instead mostly because it was over my head too ;-)

Well today I worked on it for about 4 hours and it got me nowhere. Very frustrating to say the least. Now I kept thinking but not too sure if this will but see what you think.

The dg4s needs to have an encoder in order to work , it could be the heds or the differential line driver they supplied me with. According to the encoder spec picture I showed, it says it has channel a aND channel b. Would I be able to wire the heds to the differential driver which would convert it to the a+ a- b+ b-

Page 3 of 4 1234