584,808 active members*
5,242 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Omni CNC > Omni 1530 ordered and ongoing log of the process
Page 1 of 7 123

Omni 1530 ordered and ongoing log of the process

Hi All,

OK after lots of questions and poking around here we finally put our money down for a Omni 1530 (really 1631 fingers crossed) ATC router.

I want to document the purchase as best I can to help others. I do not know yet if I will have any pitfalls but if and when I do have them I will try and post them. I will not use this forum to mediate any issues other than as a last venting.

I am going into this knowing:

1) I will get what I pay for. So when I can buy this router at about 1/2 price from a restickered importer then I know that I am in the right range. I have compared suppliers but I have not haggled because if I get a better price I know I will get a worse machine.
    2) I know it will not be ready to go out of the box. hopefully its close but it will not be where I need it to be and I expect I will need to do a fair bit of legwork to get it going properly. This is a given.
    3) I know documentation will be minimal or non existant so I have researched the controls etc before committing. I expect the machine and anything else is a bonus.
    4) I know to ask for pictures, and to be specific.
    5) I know not to pay attention to the posted shipping costs.
    6) I know there are things I don't yet know and I am on the lookout for them as we go through the process.

Anyhow I thought I would start by posting my PO to Omni and their PI back. Mine is relatively detailed, theirs is only somewhat but they should be referring to the same end machine.

I wanted to do this as I really had no idea how to write up a PO for this (really more a detailed spec sheet but anyhow) so this is my go at it. I'm going to reserve a few of the early posts for updates.
    In case anyone is wondering, I'm the twin of the other gfacer on cnczone...

Re: Omni 1530 ordered and ongoing log of the process

here is the PO - sorry some of the formatting might be off.

I did not just fire this off. I sent a draft first and got a proforma invoice (PI) back and then back and forth until I had the changes needed and the PI did not conflict with this (even though the level of detail on the PI is a lot less). BTW - as for the models of the drives and motors - as long as they are comparable I'll be fine. The spindle I'll be sticky on as I wanted a ceramic ceramic bearings HSD spindle as both my brother and I run 15 year old HSD's with ceramics and they still work great. I did ensure we agreed that this model was available and suitable first.

I think the biggest 'oddity' for Omni is the insistence on UL listed components and wiring labels. Let's just say we've had issues and it the wires aren't labeled UL it is a big potential problem under a worse case scenario (inspection). That added about 5% to the price.

Surrey Plasticworks Ltd.

October 14th, 2015
    Purchase Order:

Working/cutting area: 1600mm (MINIMUM) x 3100mm (MINIMUM) x 300mm

Frame/Gantry: 8mm steel minimum, heat treated after welding for stress relief, painted. Frame with adjustable feet on frame for leveling. Machined at mating surfaces, shims of suitable metal material where required.

Controller: Syntec 6MD with Ethernet connection provided with english manual and technical support contacts. With hand wheel mpg control.

Working Voltage: 220v 3phase with Ground

Motor Drives/Motors: Yaskawa 1000w (SGDV-7R6A01A) drives and Yaskawa 850w motors (SGMGV-09ADC61). 2 motors on X axis, 1 motor on Y and 1 motor on Z axis.

Cabling/relays/switches: All cabling with shielded wires labeled on the sheathing of the wire with UL or CSA listings. All components,wiring, motors, relays and switches to be CSA or UL listed and labeled on the exterior of the part/wire.
    Omron E-stops on both sides of the gantry and control.
    Schneider Main switch on cabinet
    All components are grounded.

Motor Reduction: Belt Reduction

Drive: `Taiwan brand Helical Rack and Pinion for x/y and German sourced ballscrew on Z
    Rails: Hiwin 30mm (HGH 30CA) Linear Bearings on all rails
    Metal/Rubber Wipers on all bearings.
    Automatic oil lubrication of all bearings.

ATC: Carousel type 8 slots ISO 30 - auto tool calibration sensor

Spindle: HSD model es929-H6161H0822 (No substitutions)

VFD: Delta 11KW with english manual

Table: Phenolic vacuum table without T slot - 8 zone

Dust Hood: Gcode controlled with air cylinder.

Relays: Please provide one relay for UL/CSA listed 70A/220v 3 phase relay (vacuum pump) wired to and controlled by the controller via button and G code.

Spares parts:
    4 x spare pinion gears
    12 spare linear bearings
    2 sets of reduction belts

Price: Sorry - you'll have to negotiate that yourself...

Payment:
    30% via wire transfer on confirmation of purchase order conditions and confirmed pricing
    20% via wire transfer on receipt of pictures of components, before installation. Specifically:
    • Servo motors and drives (with model and serial # visable)
    • relays and switches (with CSA/UL listing visible)
    • wiring to be used (with CSA/UL listing visible)
    • Spindle to be mounted (with model and serial # visable)
    • hiwin bearings

25% via wire transfer on receipt of build pictures/video showing specifically:
    Detailed photos of
    • Assembly,
    • machined surface on parts that will be bolted together
    • Metal shims used where needed
    • Interior of Cabinet,
    • Overall Wiring layout
    • Ground termination point
    • CSA/UL labeling on wiring
    • Servo drives and connections.
    • Transformers
    • 70 amp/220v relay
    • Exterior of cabinet
    • Syntec controller
    • Portable MPG controller
    • Linear motion system
    • Details of belt drive system
    • Bearings and rails
    • Close up of Rack and pinion
    • Table
    • Size of table working area.
    • Plumbing of vacuum table
    • location of limit switches
    • ATC
    • Spindle model and serial number
    • ATC carousel
    • Confirmation of proper working voltage.

Video of test run with tool change, auto touch off, dust boot retracted on our machine (marked as such in the video). Confirmation of 1600mm x 3100mm working size on the table. Confirmation of square cuts on sample material.

25% via wire transfer on completion of loading into container with photos of pre shipping greasing and packing.

Delivery:
    Machine to be ready for shipping within 35 days of order placement.

Other terms:

Surrey Plasticworks has the right to engage 3rd party inspection firms to check production before the goods leave China and before final payment is made.

No additional accessories/features will be paid for without prior authorization.

OK so here is the PI as it is now (just prior to deposit)

Note that the deposits do not match - I still plan on my schedule - even if just to get the pictures I need. Again - I've deleted pricing. I will only say I've seen chinese made, NA stickered and marketed machines for at $41000USD to $60000 CAD range that compare and this is a healthy markup for them from what I have agreed to. Not an unfair one - if you asked me to ship, store, display and support these machines I'd want that kind of margin too.

For shipping - I'll try and consolidate that here in this post.

Right now I have a shipping broker arm of a customs broker working on it and a shipping broker alone. Right now it is looking like a crate (LCL) will be about $2500CAD - for close to all in but you just have to roll with it on shipping - whereas a full 20' container would be more like $4k CAD.

So I am leaning LCL. but I'll edit this post as I get more details.

I had budgeted 3,000USD so I'm in the ballpark I expected.

I'll reserve this post and the next couple for some component shots and build photos etc.

Reserved for additional build photos.

Got a PM from other purchaser of an Omni 1530 (different specs but same base machine) coming to my local area a few weeks ahead of mine. Hopefully I get a chance to see it. As the purchaser wanted to PM me, I'll leave out any names but still a pretty crazy coincidence. His build time seems to have run about 8-9 weeks - about where I thought mine would be in reality though I was hoping for a bit faster. That will put my machine in house in January sometime.

PS - I now see CNCzone doesn't seem to allow later editing - which is really unfortunate - so those build posts will have to just come in order.

[i will get in touch with you first part of the week , being we are about 20 min away , I PM you because when I replied it did not go? [/I]

No worries Rusty, just didn't want to post anything specific you might not have wanted. But I'm at your service if you need a hand on the unload.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RUSTY2 View Post

I know they are giving us the standard set of 20 bits , with me being I have two spindles it is 40. Do you have a suggestion of any bits other then the ones that come with the units . I am new to routers? thanx Brian
    We use Onsrud bits - they are available from a variety of sources. I usually get them from the consumables dept of Multicam as they are close to me and seem to order from Onsrud frequently (and carrier some stock too). We've tired some ebay bits too with some success in the right uses. They are cheap but they don't leave as nice an edge finish.

G

Delete - duplicate post

So parts have started to arrive. I stated in my PO that I wanted pics of parts/wiring before installation so I could verify UL listings. This is mainly in case someone says we need to get it certified in Canada after importing. We want it 'close' so that it might pass a casual inspection and would not need much done to get an actual sticker of the full unit.

So far we have confirmed the servo motors and servo packs are OK (though the UL is only stamped on the servo packs), the power supply is stamped for UL too. The main switch and relay are not however and so we are working through that (as its a main element for needing UL in our opinion). Still these are minor compared to the motor/drives so I think we'll be OK.

Still waiting on UL wiring and the spindle and now the corrected relays and switch.

Anyhow, hopefully next week we pass the first hurdle of ensuring we have the right components.

I've also tried to download the product catalogs as I go so I have them on file just in case of future service needs and to confirm what I am getting.

So far so good though.

Quote Originally Posted by djcregan View Post
    Hi
    I saw your post, I'm in the UK.

I was promised a 30 day manufacturing time from order, I placed it through Alibaba. It took twice that long with little or no explanation.
    [/I]

If I get it loaded in 45-60 days after order - it will be about the expected time. Hoping for 30 (as they said to me too) but no one actually seems to get one in 30. I know it will be done when its done. This is an upgrade so the exact timing is not as important.

Be sure to post some unload pics and your experience setting up. They are invaluable on these forums. Thanks, G

Just got my BOL leaving on the 10th then 18 days for delivery to Vancouver. I just checked I placed the order Aug.25

Quote Originally Posted by RUSTY2 View Post
    Just got my BOL leaving on the 10th then 18 days for delivery to Vancouver. I just checked I placed the order Aug.25
    How much is shipping for you (if you arranged from here)? Or are you just having them ship to Vancouver and then dealing with port fees?

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

I am looking after port fee's here, I used A&A Custom Brokers in the past great to deal with .

Ok so another ten days and only the VFD has been added to the approved list. Still waiting for wiring and the spindle. At this point I am a little disappointed that components are still not in for approval but such is life.

Apparently they should be in this week - or at least one of them - we'll see. So far the only issue - still not resolved but I haven't pushed it either - is the main switches/relays. At this rate looks like it will ship late in Dec (and based on Rusty2's timeline). Oh well I was dreaming of having it in December to set it up but I'm sure my family will appreciate it coming in January!

Some pics - The schneider and relay are the non UL which need replacing for the schneider I did research to confirm it was only CE listed.

Attachment 296614Attachment 296616Attachment 296618Attachment 296620Attachment 296622Attachment 296624Attachment 296628Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-20151103_100839.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	296630

Still waiting on Spindle/wiring/relays for pre build approval (which did not arrive on either Wednesday or 'the weekend' as I was told but I do not consider these guesses promises). Frustrating but I know it comes with the territory. On the plus side, the frame is at least underway concurrently. Some frame pics...

Attachment 297260Click image for larger version. 

Name:	omni table.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	297262

At the end of Sept Jack sent me the pics of the frame as well Attachment 297280Attachment 297282 Then there was a 7 day holiday then I got the next batch of pics on the 18th of Oct. ( App two working weeks)Attachment 297284 Just to give you some type of time line , not sure if it different on your build

Ok so the spindle is in... but not 100% sure it is the right one. HSD is a little heavy on variations of models and a little light on specs and how to read details (ie tell from the sticker, what you are getting).

So the spindle spec'd and in the PI was an HSD 929 10hp with ceramic top and bottom bearings. The detailed model number was h6161h0822. The start of that seems to be pretty generic as there are lots of h6161 models. The h0822 seems to be the key. The problem is that Hsd's spec stickers that outline the performance curve are based on the motor and not the bearings so they use the same sticker for a bunch of variations. There is a little sticker above that looks like the detailed model number but it is nothing like what was spec'd and there is not information to prove this is an actual model number, much less the details of its construction and parts. As you can see the model looks to be h6161h1144 but its hard to say. There is a sticker that says ceramic (or Keramik) but so what - its just a sticker.

Attachment 297630Attachment 297632

I have sent the picture to HSD to see if they can approve it and asked Jack to 1) confirm what the ordered and 2) provide more back up and documentation re the model # or the actually spindle imported.

So right now it is not approved - which should mean it is NOT on the machine, but yet they also send a photo of it mounted. I've now told them the spindle is not approved and should not be mounted to the machine. I'm still about 75% sure the spindle is OK but as this was a 'no substitutions' part of the PO I will make triple sure it is right. The spindle I should not was chosen before the PO based on what Jack said they could get (I asked if they could get the model spec'd and he said "yes, it is confirmed".

Attachment 297634

In other news, the cabinet is started (though they still have no UL wiring in so mainly its just components. And the right switches seem to be in with UL labeling.

Attachment 297636

Page 1 of 7 123