585,880 active members*
9,053 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

laser engraving problems shenhui 350

Can anyone help - I have been trying to resolve this for weeks now and nothing seems to sort it

Laser engraver worked perfectly, then Laser tube stopped working and started cracking so replaced it. the laser tube fires now but it will not engrave or cut properly. The laser tube 50w power supply 50 w

I have tried several versions of Laser works and V6 seems to the best one at the moment (even though V8 worked fine before laser tube went wrong). Anyway on V6 laser works send to scan / engrave ABC - and it fills in each letter so not detail - image shown below

Then I cut it and it outlines the letters correctly but very wobbly lines. Plus the laser makes marks when it shouldnt be doing so - as if it cant stop lasering once it is doing a job - I have shown this in the image below.

Any ideas of what it can be would be great - what tests I can do etc - since it is getting very frustrating I cant get it going

Im tyhinkingits a software to hardware problem, but could it be the power supply?

Im running windows 7 32bit and laserworks v6 - i have also tried a couple of v8 versions. It a shenhui 350 laser

Thanks

Re: laser engraving problems shenhui 350

Well, I'd try to download a file to the controller and run it there....ie put on a USB stick and don't use the USB cable to the PC at all.

Next, check your machine grounding...maybe excess power isn't going to ground and showing up as wonky cutting (not an electrician, but checking grounding is always a good idea!)

Unfortunately, I suspect it might be the same after those checks and therefore might be the controller itself, maybe electrical damage?

The only other suggestion might be to hook up a multimeter to the laser output signal and running a larger job or just slowly and see what the signal is doing compared to what you expect... Might eliminate or point to a bad power supply.

Or, just buy a power supply and switch it out....see what happens and keep as spare of nothing changes....then do the same for controller if still wonky. More money, less time, and spare parts
    =good.

Good luck!

Also, why a new thread on this? The last thread still had some questions that you never answered, such as what shows up in the preview view?

Thanks for your message - we have tried most of the things noted and unfortunately no change. The manufacturer thinks it may be due to the power supply not being as strong as the laser tube - unfortunately we do not have a multimeter to check this but do you think this may cause this kind of effect we are getting?

No, not really, not if both are working correctly. But if you don't have an amp meter, putting a properly sized and new power supply is probably a good idea.

ok thank you - do you know anywhere I can purchase a good but reasonable price 50w power supply for a chinese style laser engraver - apart from eBay since I dont trust the power of their parts now?

Still eBay, but I recommend the seller coletech