585,663 active members*
2,973 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

TORMACH PROBE OVERLOAD PROTECTOR

Hi Folks.

My Passive Probe thread has taken a new turn into a Probe Stylus protector device that would be quite simple/low cost to make. So I though I should start a new thread to cover the new subject.

At this stage I am not sure if it is a invention of value that can be sold or not, but I thought it would be of interest to some of you and I would be keen to get your feedback.

This device allows the use of a stiff stylus without fear of damaging the probe internals, or of breaking the probe stem.

Cheers Keen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a7NgA6JIIw

Re: TORMACH PROBE OVERLOAD PROTECTOR

I'm thinking a couple neodymium magnets and a location ring. Shouldn't be that hard to get the right values for good break away pressure while retaining good stiffness. The trick is getting the alignment and orientation right when resetting the probe tip. Good luck with the project.

I'm no patent lawyer, but my understanding is that you have at max one year after you discuss your invention with another person to patent it. That is in the US. As for copyright, putting a copyright on a drawing stops someone from copying the drawing, but it doesn't stop someone from copying the object in the drawing. That's, of course, also a layman's understanding of US law so, regardless if I'm right or not, it may not pertain to you at all... unless you choose to market your product in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Duval View Post
    I'm thinking a couple neodymium magnets and a location ring. Shouldn't be that hard to get the right values for good break away pressure while retaining good stiffness. The trick is getting the alignment and orientation right when resetting the probe tip. Good luck with the project.
    Yes that was one of my attempts also - the trouble is fine steel particles seem to appear from out of the ether almost, and are hellishly hard ...actually almost impossible to remove. Well I suppose fine steel particles are present in many workshops - and seem to make a beeline for anything magnetic.

Keen

Glue?

Quote Originally Posted by Hirudin View Post
    I'm no patent lawyer, but my understanding is that you have at max one year after you discuss your invention with another person to patent it. That is in the US. As for copyright, putting a copyright on a drawing stops someone from copying the drawing, but it doesn't stop someone from copying the object in the drawing. That's, of course, also a layman's understanding of US law so, regardless if I'm right or not, it may not pertain to you at all... unless you choose to market your product in the US.
    Hi - IPP is very involved. This is mainly only dating the invention so that it is less likely to be 'reinvented' by a copier and patented as 'novel'. Keen

Glue?
    Ha !...I will have to stop answering each guess otherwise by a process of elimination the design will eventually be uncovered!

I will probably eventually end up by posting the drawings anyway - just though I would keep the possibility alive for a while and get some feedback.

cheers Keen

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Hi - IPP is very involved. This is mainly only dating the invention so that it is less likely to be 'reinvented' by a copier and patented as 'novel'. Keen
    Ah, I like it!

There's no reason you shouldn't profit from physical and mental work.

Does it break away on a vertical over-travel?

When You need a beta tester or are ready to start selling them let me know. I want one ASAP.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Philbobb View Post
    You can pick up fuses for the tips, run about $4.50 from ITP Styli. Part number BI M4 000 07 008 The only way to reset though is to replace it. I have not had the unfortunate incident to test and see if it saves the tip or not.
    Hi Philbobb - As par as I can see the part is a adapter that stands out from the hub by 8mm and has a female M4 thread that accepts the stylus - and this is designed to break instead of the stylus stem - Is that what you are referring to/do I have the right?

keen

Quote Originally Posted by bevinp View Post
    I suspect the method is a nanobot, dumb but strong and clearly camera shy.
    Damn - how did you guess?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by phoneman View Post
    When You need a beta tester or are ready to start selling them let me know. I want one ASAP.

Dave
    Thanks - Keen

You can pick up fuses for the tips, run about $4.50 from ITP Styli. Part number BI M4 000 07 008 The only way to reset though is to replace it. I have not had the unfortunate incident to test and see if it saves the tip or not.
    It breaks in the neck with the hole through it?

Keen,
    I want one now.
    You could run a poll here to test the market.
    OR
    Apply for a patent, and then approach Tormach, Haimer, etc to test their interest to be involved in some manner.

Quote Originally Posted by bevinp View Post
    Keen,
    I want one now.
    You could run a poll here to test the market.
    OR
    Apply for a patent, and then approach Tormach, Haimer, etc to test their interest to be involved in some manner.
    Thanks for your ideas Bevin. I am wary of doing anything on this forum that could be construed in any way as commercial. Someone out there gets me shut down every now and then ....and it can take days to get free again.

I can do without that hassle so I err on the side of caution these days....This forum is just a labour of love.

But I am looking in to your other option. Cheers.

Keen

As I recall, at C.L., two of the critera are that the item be novel and non-obvious.
    Entropy Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Hi Philbobb - As par as I can see the part is a adapter that stands out from the hub by 8mm and has a female M4 thread that accepts the stylus - and this is designed to break instead of the stylus stem - Is that what you are referring to/do I have the right?

keen
    It's designed to break where it threads in. It looks like it should work, but I haven't tested it. Attached photo is the TI M4 030 07 020 styli and BI M4 000 07 008 fuse. $29 for the 20mm long styli with 3mm ruby ball and $4.50 for the 8mm long fuse. I unthreaded it for the picture, it does seat all the way.
    Attachment 295568

If you break the stock ceramic tip, save it. Boil the end to release the glue, ruby or base side, and remove broken stub. Square the break up on the good part and reinsert adding CA glue if needed. Recal and your good. Cry if you want cause your probe is now shorter than everyone elses'.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cer probe.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	295570

DAMN! Just snapped yet another Haimer probe tip to oblivion....UGGGH!!! The keyboard slipped off from the workstation and hit the ground resulting into a RAPID right into my fixture. I soooo hate doing that! My total spent on various probe tips for FY2015 has just swelled to $245...uggh!

I unthreaded it for the picture, it does seat all the way.
    It appears that the break point is at the top of the M4 threaded part. This would be inside the plastic 3-armed part of the probe. If so it would be almost impossible to remove the broken stub. What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    It appears that the break point is at the top of the M4 threaded part. This would be inside the plastic 3-armed part of the probe. If so it would be almost impossible to remove the broken stub. What am I missing?

The hole where it breaks would leave what amounts to a slot to use a small screwdriver in. Just don't use loctite.

Page 1 of 2 12