584,860 active members*
5,399 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > Yet another mini lathe CNC conversion

Yet another mini lathe CNC conversion

This mini lathe is branded by Proma (a Czech toolmaker), but it is a pretty standard SIEG lathe.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Proma.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	474907

I purchased it couple of years ago and since then I was implementing my CNC conversion on the weekends (with long pauses for running other projects between the steps). In this blog I’m going to describe conversion solutions I used step by step.

Re: Yet another mini lathe CNC conversion

I would like to extend my gratitude and appreciation to the members of CNC Zone Mini Lathe forum, whose posts gave me a lot of ideas and strongly influenced engineering decisions of this conversion. Though I did not directly replicate any of published conversions, I used your experience shared in this forum. Especially I would like to thank Simon C for his thread “7x14 cnc conversion”.

Quote Originally Posted by IgorA View Post
    I would like to extend my gratitude and appreciation to the members of CNC Zone Mini Lathe forum, whose posts gave me a lot of ideas and strongly influenced engineering decisions of this conversion. Though I did not directly replicate any of published conversions, I used your experience shared in this forum. Especially I would like to thank Simon C for his thread “7x14 cnc conversion”.
    Now in a couple of years the project is finished - I milled another lathe plate and changed X-axis speed ratio to 1:1 - see the photo. Now I have stable CNC turning and threading with different rates. It was a lot of fun to do this project

Name:	IMG_0134.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	405116

Now in a couple of years the project is finished - I milled another lathe plate and changed X-axis speed ratio to 1:1 - see the photo. Now I have stable CNC turning and threading with different rates. It was a lot of fun to do this project

Name:	IMG_0134.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	405116
    Im just now coming across this thread . It is 7 years old but I sure could use some of your ideas would you be interested in sharing /selling your plans for the conversion like drawings , blueprints , wiring diagrams ? Just thought I would ask because this is one of the best 7x conversions WELL DONE sir !!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you, I would definitely be glad to share some of the drawings and program code I used in the project, but unfortunately I do not have a full set - many simple parts were created "as is", without any documentation. I'll look in my archives and publish what I have in the next few days.

Frankly speaking, if I would start this project today, I would definitely go other ways in some decisions - the main mistake I've done was trying to use drive and electronics of the original design. It would be much simpler and functional to drop the original electronics and spindle drive and replace it with a powerful stepper drive - there are Nema 34 motors with virtually same size and power as the original DC drive. The control scheme would me trivial in this case, as well as the significant increase in functionality could be achieved.

Thank you, I would definitely be glad to share some of the drawings and program code I used in the project, but unfortunately I do not have a full set - many simple parts were created "as is", without any documentation. I'll look in my archives and publish what I have in the next few days.

Frankly speaking, if I would start this project today, I would definitely go other ways in some decisions - the main mistake I've done was trying to use drive and electronics of the original design. It would be much simpler and functional to drop the original electronics and spindle drive and replace it with a powerful stepper drive - there are Nema 34 motors with virtually same size and power as the original DC drive. The control scheme would me trivial in this case, as well as the significant increase in functionality could be achieved.
    Yes thank you any notes or suggestions would be appreciated and I agree 100 percent with the spindle the electronics are a bit out of date on these type/style "mini lathes ". I am looking forward to seeing the material you are able to share I like the style of your machine and again great job

Quote Originally Posted by Michael82 View Post
    Yes thank you any notes or suggestions would be appreciated and I agree 100 percent with the spindle the electronics are a bit out of date on these type/style "mini lathes ". I am looking forward to seeing the material you are able to share I like the style of your machine and again great job
    Well, to start with here are DXF files for the X-axis holder. 12 mm for the top horizontal plate and 10 mm for the main vertical plate. Depths.txt shows depths of deepenings in the vertical plate (in mm's).

Well, to start with here are DXF files for the X-axis holder. 12 mm for the top horizontal plate and 10 mm for the main vertical plate. Depths.txt shows depths of deepenings in the vertical plate (in mm's).
    Wonderful yes this is perfect to start with thank you