584,850 active members*
4,493 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking > WoodWorking Topics > Custom shaped flapper sanders

Custom shaped flapper sanders

Has anyone tried putting a custom profile on a flapper sanding wheel? I am working out some production steps for a new product I am manufacturing. It would be efficient for our process if we had a custom profile on our flapper sanding wheels. We are doing part of the finishing with a custom-built CNC and I am considering mounting a tool steel cutter edge on the machine so that the flapper wheel can be dressed with the appropriate contour from time to time. The tool steel edge would be rigidly mounted, and the flapper wheel would be in the spindle. We would simply run the flapper wheel over the tool edge to refine the shape. This seems like a fairly straightforward approach and simple to code.

Thoughts and gotchas? Is there a more efficient method?

Thank you!

Re: Custom shaped flapper sanders

I've never done this, but if I wanted to, I'd be tempted to run the flap wheel backwards when cutting the shape. That way, the cloth side would be presented to the steel cutter, not the abrasive side, which would dull it more quickly. Then reverse it when you're actually using it. Be aware, though, that the SFPM will be different (and lower) for the cut-away parts than for the ones that remain long; this might make a difference in the results.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    I've never done this, but if I wanted to, I'd be tempted to run the flap wheel backwards when cutting the shape. That way, the cloth side would be presented to the steel cutter, not the abrasive side, which would dull it more quickly. Then reverse it when you're actually using it. Be aware, though, that the SFPM will be different (and lower) for the cut-away parts than for the ones that remain long; this might make a difference in the results.
    Good points to think about. We could mount a hacksaw blade and run the profile in the YZ plane. Run the shaping toolpath to travel along X as it dresses the wheel. Then we wouldn't have to sharpen and reset a tool. Just change out the blade.