585,902 active members*
4,016 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Learning Delcam High Speed Software

Learning Delcam High Speed Software

My employer is considering purchasing a high speed machining center. He was advised to use Delcam software to progam it with. Currently, we use Surfcam 3 axis software. My question is, how difficult can I expect the jump from Surfcam to Delcam? Our company builds custom plastic injection molds.

HSM Fact or Fiction

Hi Hoss64. welcome to the world of rapid metal removal, your boss is in for a big shock. does he know how much he will have to spend on tooling, gone are those HHS & ripper cutters. welcome to the world of solid cardide & varying coatings.
    To preserve these tools and get the best possible life our of them you need a CAM solution that has specific routines for HSM, i do not believe you are looking in the right direction. Using WorkNC & NC Speed, you get the best posible toolpaths, and a toolpath optimiser to understand where there is a need for feed changes, both up and down where the stock will allow.
    Any one can HSM, even your smart cam, just change the feeed rates upwards by 300%. The real difference is having a CAM system that understands the the cutter MUST stop in contact all the time, or approaches and change directions must ALL be in the sweeping "S". Knowlege of remaining material is essential, both for roughing & finishing.
    Being in the world of metal cutting for near on 2 decades, Sescoi have a great deal of experience, and users who will testify to that. Ask your local Sescoi office for a list of local users!!!!

www.foregonesolutions.co.uk
    don't just take our word for it.

thanks for the information, Tony. Money isn't the issue with HSM for him. He's mainly concerned with lack of productivity while trying to learn the ins and outs of the software. I'll take a look and the brand you mentioned.

Delcam may advertise a lot, but what are your actual requirements. In addition to HSM, do you have need for 3x and 5x, do you have need for complex interference checking, do you want to take advantage of advanced CNC control functions (what kind of machine will you use)?

It is best to ask broader questions before jumping in on one software.

I am glad to see Tony really likes his software for HSM and 5axis.
    I fell my software is vary strong in both places along with 3 axis and 2 axis.

Mastercam X2 handles all this Well.

Delcam is a strong mold tool as I found the turn around I can not tell you.
    As I have done all my Mold Makeing using MC for over 15 years.

Good luck you are for sure making from my side a better move from Surfcam to Delcam.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Glad to see that my comments stirred things up. but the last comment anout MC for mould design, prompted me to say, if you want to design moulds or progression die's, you should look to CimatronE, may be a little more expensive than the budget cad's of the world. but for the serious manufacturer there is none better.
    Check out the specifications on www.foregonesolutions.co.uk or go directly to www.cimatron.co.uk
    But still on the matter of HSM. WorkNC has over 40 different types of machining methods and the PostProcessors are included, there is something in there for everybody (especialy a good trocoidal method, which only kicks in if the material to cut exceeds a specific criteria)

Smile

Well so far, I can do most with one software I do need to put the mold plus add-on for Electrode and cavity splitting.

Wow!! Over 40 different types of machining methods, that is allot so we have over 60. I am not here to compete Salesman to Salesman I am suggesting from a tool makers suggestion as I have been a mold maker For wax investment ,Plastic , Die cast and rortomolds.

Just causes I cannot resist are posts are included too.
    ((especialy a good trocoidal method, which only kicks in if the material to cut exceeds a specific criteria)) Oh and yes, we have this in are 2d to 3axis along with are HSM paths to.

Hoss64, Good luck and I hope some one that uses Delcam comes in and actually answers your question. Sense Tony and I have now hijacked this posting.

PS Happy New Year Tony & Hoss64
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Well we agrree, and thank you for the lively discussion, we should leave this to others, you all also have a good 2007:cheers: .
    What forum should we tackle next, electrodes, mould (mold for those in USA), plunge roughing....... bye

Not sure Tony you look around and then send me an invite
    Cadcam