585,951 active members*
3,987 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Servo motors and the difficulty of setting up

Question Servo motors and the difficulty of setting up

I am building a large CNC with ATC, vacuum table, Etc. And Reading, Servo motors seem to be a better choice for a build of this size. The problem is a know almost nothing about there wiring and the program they are used in. I have built a CNC in the past that used steppers and ran off of Mach 3 with no problems. But servos seem to be far more complicated. I guess what I am asking is,

I. Are Servos a better choice for a $20,000 build?
    2. Where is the best place to find information on setup?
    3. Where is the best place to get them?
    4. Do you have to us a gearbox when connecting to your machine?
    5. Can servos be used in Mach 3?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, I'm at a stand still at this point.

Re: Servo motors and the difficulty of setting up

Quote Originally Posted by Rileigh View Post
    I am building a large CNC with ATC, vacuum table, Etc. And Reading, Servo motors seem to be a better choice for a build of this size. The problem is a know almost nothing about there wiring and the program they are used in. I have built a CNC in the past that used steppers and ran off of Mach 3 with no problems. But servos seem to be far more complicated. I guess what I am asking is,

I. Are Servos a better choice for a $20,000 build?
    2. Where is the best place to find information on setup?
    3. Where is the best place to get them?
    4. Do you have to us a gearbox when connecting to your machine?
    5. Can servos be used in Mach 3?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, I'm at a stand still at this point.
    Are servos a better choice for your build?

Yes AC servos would be a good choice for your build

Where is the best place to find information on setup? Where is the best place to get them?

All at the same place DMM | AC SERVO DRIVE | AC SERVO MOTOR | ROTARY ENCODER

Do you have to use a gearbox when connecting to your machine?

This will depend on what, in most cases your Ballscrew pitch and load will determine, if you need to have any gearing, and what size servo motor you will need

Can servos be used in Mach 3? Yes Mach3 or any other cnc control packages can run Servos

How easy is this servo package to set up, easier than doing the stepper system you did
    Mactec54

[QUOTE=mactec54;1779696]Are servos a better choice for your build?

Yes AC servos would be a good choice for your build

Where is the best place to find information on setup? Where is the best place to get them?

All at the same place DMM | AC SERVO DRIVE | AC SERVO MOTOR | ROTARY ENCODER

Thank for the response, I guess my other question would be is setup and tuning in mach be the same.

How large of motors would I need in order to not require gearbox on each axis. THE gantry will be similar to a laguna smart shop 2.

Rileigh

Similar setting/setup in Mach 3 as what you did for your steppers,That's a big machine, you will be using rack & pinion on your X axes for a machine that size, 750w to 1Kw for the X axes 750w for the Y & Z axes, this is the norm for a machine like this, some use 1Kw on all three axes, which is fine, and not much cost difference, it all will depend on the weight of your Gantry

You will need gearing when you use a Rack & Pinion, depending on Pinion size 5:1 would be normal,some use up to 10:1, if your Y axes is Rack & Pinion also, you will need gearing there as well, Z axes with a Ball screw, usually can be 1:1
    Mactec54

Thank you so much I finally got it.

I was looking at automation direct for the gear box, they look pricy as expected. Do you know of any other sources to buy them.