585,973 active members*
4,193 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

SHARE YOUR SUB ROUTINES

Hi Folks

Please share your knowledge on sub routines.

I am a beginner on this subject and am keen to learn more.

I start the ball rolling with this video:

Cheers keen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOmy1fv8xDE

Re: SHARE YOUR SUB ROUTINES

I have a calling program that makes use of GOTO commands, variables, "IF" conditions, and subroutines (separate subroutine files, but I imagine it would work with subroutines within the same file as well). The purpose of the program is to mill the same parts at many positions in a grid (it can also just do a line of parts and I'd guess it could be adapted for a rotary table).

I posted the code and a pretty exhaustive explanation over here... (post #2)
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...etter-way.html

It didn't get much of any response over there so maybe it's not as good as I think it is. Maybe it's simply incompatible with Path Pilot (it does use GOTO, which apparently isn't supported by LinuxCNC). The GOTOs do make it a bit confusing, but the code is efficient as far as I can tell (as an untrained hobbyist).

Since I don't have a Path Pilot machine I can't test my macro program with Path Pilot. I also don't use Mach3 any more, so I haven't tested it there either. That makes me wonder if I should be sharing it on this thread. On the other hand, I was introduced to variables by WOTDesigns, who shared some code he used with a Haas (I think). So I figured even my potentially incompatible code would be helpful.

I did a recent video on this:
    https://youtu.be/nh5Cn74naq8

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    warmachinellc.com

I'm still using Mach 3 and after seeing that video, I don't think I'll be switching any time soon.

When I run a sub routine in Mach 3, at the sub routine call the line says M98PXXXX.

At the end of the sub, I tell it M99 and it goes back to the main body of the program.

Then move to the next spot and M98PXXXX again then M99.

Quote Originally Posted by SWATH View Post
    I did a recent video on this:
    https://youtu.be/nh5Cn74naq8

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for that SWATH - The G code language you are using seems quite different from pathpilot.

To save the time trialling, does anyone out there know if it would also work with pathpilot

Keen

Quote Originally Posted by Hirudin View Post
    I have a calling program that makes use of GOTO commands, variables, "IF" conditions, and subroutines (separate subroutine files, but I imagine it would work with subroutines within the same file as well). The purpose of the program is to mill the same parts at many positions in a grid (it can also just do a line of parts and I'd guess it could be adapted for a rotary table).

I posted the code and a pretty exhaustive explanation over here... (post #2)
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...etter-way.html

It didn't get much of any response over there so maybe it's not as good as I think it is. Maybe it's simply incompatible with Path Pilot (it does use GOTO, which apparently isn't supported by LinuxCNC). The GOTOs do make it a bit confusing, but the code is efficient as far as I can tell (as an untrained hobbyist).

Since I don't have a Path Pilot machine I can't test my macro program with Path Pilot. I also don't use Mach3 any more, so I haven't tested it there either. That makes me wonder if I should be sharing it on this thread. On the other hand, I was introduced to variables by WOTDesigns, who shared some code he used with a Haas (I think). So I figured even my potentially incompatible code would be helpful.
    Thanks for that HIRUDIN - Does anyone out there know if this code language would work in pathpilot?

Keen

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    I'm still using Mach 3 and after seeing that video, I don't think I'll be switching any time soon.

When I run a sub routine in Mach 3, at the sub routine call the line says M98PXXXX.

At the end of the sub, I tell it M99 and it goes back to the main body of the program.

Hi Steve. Yes you seem to be using the same code language as in the SWATH video above - does this language work in pathpilot?

Keen

m98/99 will be added to path pilot in the future... (they have already pushed it to a branch on linuxcnc.org for testing.) Thanks Tormach!

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Hi Steve. Yes you seem to be using the same code language as in the SWATH video above - does this language work in pathpilot?

Keen

That is how i do it to

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post

Keen
    I don't know if the M98/99 code will work with Path Pilot. Tormach says they are working in it, but it's not available yet.

I saw the 440 last weekend, and was quite impressed although, Andy was just babying the machine, it's quite capable of removing a lot of material if programmed the right way.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.