585,996 active members*
4,725 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Material Technology > Material Machining Solutions > Machining an Epoxy Resin Table Top

Machining an Epoxy Resin Table Top

Hi Group!

Let me make the story as short as possible. Some time ago I went to an auction place and saw this awesome black top table for a ridiculous price, so needless to say I picked it up in a flash thinking I was getting a humongous delrin slab. Errr! Big Mistake! Apparently, what I got is actually an Epoxy Resin Table Top as those found on laboratory tables.

So my question is: Can I still (or better said should I even bother with) machine this material? I read somewhere that to cut it I would need diamond blades and diamond drill bits. I feel the table top is kind of hard, but not that hard. Of course, I am completely oblivious as to what would it take to machine this material.

I would have made an experiment but if it is not worthwhile, I plan on selling the table as it is. Hence, it doesn't make sense to butcher it with a carbide wheel if at the end there is nothing I can do with it.

Thanks for your input!

Re: Machining an Epoxy Resin Table Top

As I understand it, the issue would be if the material is a composite of epoxy and granite, sand, or other rocks and minerals. If so, then you would need the diamond tooling to cut through those materials as the tool passes through the epoxy. However, if the table were really just solid epoxy, you probably wouldn't have any issues.