584,857 active members*
4,585 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Gecko G540 Outputs acting crazy!

Question Gecko G540 Outputs acting crazy!

I have a g540 12v power supply(dedicated for 2 ssr and trying to get Mach to control router and vac system on/off. I know g540 is feeding ground and + 12v coming from pwr supply to relay. I have attached pics of my config in Mach. There are two problems, first pin 5(output) on g540 always low(sending ground to relay) pin 6 never low. I have changed to pins 14,16, and 17 in Mach with no change. M3 M4 and M5 commands do nothing, that is to say the pins never change from low to high or high to low from the gecko. I have racked my brain on this for 2 days and am completely puzzled. If anyone has any advice please help, thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20151030_231846.jpg  

Re: Gecko G540 Outputs acting crazy!

Highcountrywnc,

Pins 17 and 1 are G540 outputs, they are set to pin 16 in the image you posted.

See second image for correct settings.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Set spindle outputs to 1 & 2
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Post Re: Gecko G540 Outputs acting crazy!

Make sure Flood and Mist are disabled.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FMC.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
    Make sure Flood and Mist are disabled.
    i tried 14 16 and 17, but i will try again.

Thanks for the advice

jalessi you are tha man! I must have entered something in correctly before but it works now.

Thanks!
    Jonathon

Jonathon,

Happy to be able to help, have a most awesome weekend!

Jeff...

new question(sub question really) if I were going to operate a vac and a router how would i go about that seeing as when m3 turns on router (cw) as a safety precaution i guess mach diables that output when m4 command is issued it seems

Jonathon,

More than one solid state relay can be attached to a output, adding an additional relay to the clockwise spindle output would be fine for the vacuum.

I have my router setup that way, so the vacuum system runs when the spindle is energized clockwise.

The spindle has never been run counterclockwise and the router has been around for over twenty years.

Jeff...

Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
    Jonathon,

More than one solid state relay can be attached to a output, adding an additional relay to the clockwise spindle output would be fine for the vacuum.

I have my router setup that way, so the vacuum system runs when the spindle is energized clockwise.

The spindle has never been run counterclockwise and the router has been around for over twenty years.

Jeff...
    Thanks jeff

Jonathon and Jeff,

One quick thing to note about the outputs: If you are controlling more than one relay with an output please be sure that the total current draw does not exceed 1A. That is the rating for the outputs and as long as you are below that then you are golden. We have tested them up to 2A so it is a soft limit, but something that should be avoided if possible.
    Marcus Freimanis
    www.geckodrive.com

Marcus,

Yes I am completely aware of the output current specs, that's why I stated Solid State Relay in my reply to Jonathan.

Correct me if I am wrong however most Solid State Relay's draw 20ma or less.

Hopefully future thread viewers will read the complete thread before implementing a second relay.

Jeff...

Jeff,

That is correct. I just wanted to put that one caveat out there for anyone that may be viewing this thread in the future. Happy milling!
    Marcus Freimanis
    www.geckodrive.com

Quote Originally Posted by CoAMarcus View Post
    Jeff,

for anyone that may be viewing this thread in the future. Happy milling!
    ^^^^^Speaking of future, This saved me^^^^ (3 days of troubleshooting later)