585,760 active members*
4,019 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Storing a K2 Out in the Shed..

Hey guys, I was wondering if it is a bad idea to store a machine such as a K2 CNC router out in a shed. I don't have any leaks or anything, but the machine would certainly be subjected to temperature fluctuations, etc.

Any advice you can give would be appreciated, thanks!

It's just my oppinion but anything I leave in my garage rusts real quick due to the humidity. Take a look at any tools you may have hanging around in there. If they are rusted, I'm afraid your baby will rust also (rails, router, bits).

Your location determines if you'll have trouble with rusting in the shed (Seattle is worse than Phoenix) I have several machines in the shed. In summer, during that real humid time, I run a small window AC unit a couple hours a day to dry the air. After that, a spritzing with LPS-3 stops rusting the rest of the year. Some folks heat the shed just a bit during cool humid weather. The key is to keep your machine surfaces above the dew point - dry the air, or heat the room.

Karl

As stated above, the router needs to be in a dry location with low humidity, and in cooler climates, some heat in the Winter. My router steel linear rails have some serious discoloration and some rust spots due to the fact that I had it in a dry place covered with plastic. Also the stainless shafts have numerous small rust spots. I sprayed all metal parts with silicone spray when stored.

The combination of humidity and varying temperatures allowed condensation to form on the inside of the plastic cover on the metal parts. I did not check on it, or use it at all for about eight months. It was not in good condition.

Hope this helps you make a decision.
    Jerry

hmm

I'll probably go with my original plan and keep it out in the shed. It sounds like as long as I keep everything oiled it would be all right. The only thing that gets rust spots on it in my shed is the platter for my bandsaw...I think this thing must be made out some pretty crappy metal as it was a pretty cheap bandsaw.

Keeping a CNC in the house would probably be a pretty steep uphill battle with the wife...FAR easier to keep it outside & keep it oiled..

My K2's out in a garage, and here in the UK it tends to be pretty wet, and fairly cold in the winter.

The recommended grease has a temperature window that is way beyond what most temperate climates are likely to experience, so from that point of view it should be fine. I also make sure everything's well greased, and the machine is stored with a cloth cover. I don't think I'd recommend plastic, unless you thought there was a risk of water coming from the roof.

I've not had any condensation problems, though the garage has so many drafts it means the temperature inside is rarely different to that outside.

All that said, I did have a Gecko drive die on me last week. K2 have been good about it, and are sending a replacement. My PC reports it's about 53F on boot up at the moment, and the control box is in a large cabinet with the PC, so the temperature will rise. Whether it died because of that I don't know - I'd think it unlikely.