584,798 active members*
4,388 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > G-Code Programing > STEP-NC as an alternate to G-Code possible?

Exclamation STEP-NC as an alternate to G-Code possible?

Hi all! First post here. Really excited to see such a huge community on CNC.

I am a masters student and have been included in a project to build a CNC which runs on STEP-NC. The ultimate aim of the project is to achieve a basic feed-rate optimization while running on STEP-NC. I am relatively new to CNC machining and as such have a number of questions. I will be grateful to anyone who could help out in answering the following questions:

1. I know that feed rates are hard-set into the G-code conventionally. Is it possible to vary the feedrates dynamically based on some sensor inputs while the machining process is going on? Or does it always require an operator to stop the machining process in between, change the feed rate manually and then resume the machining process?
    2. Has anyone worked with STEP-NC format in the past? What is your take on the same?
    3. Steptools ( STEP Tools, Inc. - STEP and STEP-NC Software for e-manufacturing ) has done a lot of work on STEP-NC. Anybody ever used their ST-Developer tools?
    4. I am also looking for information on Canonical Machining Command (CMC) functions. Apparently they are meant to be commands which can be universally accepted by CNC controllers. The reason for this is that I have found a toolkit to convert a STEP-NC file to CMCs directly( https://code.google.com/p/iso-14649-toolkit/ ). But I don't know whether these CMCs can be used to drive a CNC machine.

Any information on these questions will be really helpful. Kindly condone my lack of knowledge on the subject, in case I asked any naive questions.

Regards

Re: STEP-NC as an alternate to G-Code possible?

Seams like you should follow this topic, its likely heading the same way
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...ml#post1854508

Quote Originally Posted by Angrish View Post
    Hi all! First post here. Really excited to see such a huge community on CNC.

I am a masters student and have been included in a project to build a CNC which runs on STEP-NC. The ultimate aim of the project is to achieve a basic feed-rate optimization while running on STEP-NC. I am relatively new to CNC machining and as such have a number of questions. I will be grateful to anyone who could help out in answering the following questions:

1. I know that feed rates are hard-set into the G-code conventionally. Is it possible to vary the feedrates dynamically based on some sensor inputs while the machining process is going on? Or does it always require an operator to stop the machining process in between, change the feed rate manually and then resume the machining process?
    2. Has anyone worked with STEP-NC format in the past? What is your take on the same?
    3. Steptools ( STEP Tools, Inc. - STEP and STEP-NC Software for e-manufacturing ) has done a lot of work on STEP-NC. Anybody ever used their ST-Developer tools?
    4. I am also looking for information on Canonical Machining Command (CMC) functions. Apparently they are meant to be commands which can be universally accepted by CNC controllers. The reason for this is that I have found a toolkit to convert a STEP-NC file to CMCs directly( https://code.google.com/p/iso-14649-toolkit/ ). But I don't know whether these CMCs can be used to drive a CNC machine.

Any information on these questions will be really helpful. Kindly condone my lack of knowledge on the subject, in case I asked any naive questions.

Regards

Re: STEP-NC as an alternate to G-Code possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Angrish View Post
    I think most CNCs have the ability to dynamically alter their feed rate. On a Haas, for example, you can set an upper limit for spindle load, and set the control to adjust the feed to stay under this limit. I would imagine most controls have a similar ability.