585,585 active members*
3,767 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unhappy Passive Probe Crash

I think I have possibly found a bug in pathpilot that causes a rapid Z movement when you G0 X0Y0 after probing a boss to find center. I broke a ceramic probe 2 weeks ago using the same process and thought It was a mistake on my end but after getting fairly comfortable with the machine and the probing process it was quite obviously something else when the probe crashed a second time. I have had absolutely no issues on the probe x,y,z page where you can probe each axis individually but seem to have really bad luck with the other scripts. I set up a small piece of aluminum rod in the vice to find the center for a drill op. I then set tool to 99 for probe offsets, killed the spindle switch and jogged the probe the the left side of the rod. I started the circular boss probing which ran through the probing process without any problem. There was no Z movement after the process was over so to check if the offsets were saved correctly I jogged Z an inch over the rod and used G0 X0Y0 to check if the work offsets were correct. Instead of moving to the X,Y work offsets it did a rapid Z move right into the stock and completely smashed the stylus and ripped it right out of the probe. As a matter of fact it moved as if I did a G0 Z0 in the mdi. This really concerns me as I have had moves stop instantly before if the probe is tripped and even have tripped the probe on full rapid moves but not this time.

Am I doing something wrong here or is there some serious bugs in PP still?

Re: Passive Probe Crash

Quote Originally Posted by refc91 View Post
    I think I have possibly found a bug in pathpilot that causes a rapid Z movement when you G0 X0Y0 after probing a boss to find center. I broke a ceramic probe 2 weeks ago using the same process and thought It was a mistake on my end but after getting fairly comfortable with the machine and the probing process it was quite obviously something else when the probe crashed a second time. I have had absolutely no issues on the probe x,y,z page where you can probe each axis individually but seem to have really bad luck with the other scripts. I set up a small piece of aluminum rod in the vice to find the center for a drill op. I then set tool to 99 for probe offsets, killed the spindle switch and jogged the probe the the left side of the rod. I started the circular boss probing which ran through the probing process without any problem. There was no Z movement after the process was over so to check if the offsets were saved correctly I jogged Z an inch over the rod and used G0 X0Y0 to check if the work offsets were correct. Instead of moving to the X,Y work offsets it did a rapid Z move right into the stock and completely smashed the stylus and ripped it right out of the probe. As a matter of fact it moved as if I did a G0 Z0 in the mdi. This really concerns me as I have had moves stop instantly before if the probe is tripped and even have tripped the probe on full rapid moves but not this time.

Am I doing something wrong here or is there some serious bugs in PP still?
    Hi - First question. Have you been using your probe with Pathpilot for long? If it is an early fault then it could be your probe set up or process.

Also, you got a Z move from a X Y command after you had completed a probing routine ...have you/can you repeat that a few times in mid air for safety, to see if you can repeat the fault ?

keen

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Hi - First question. Have you been using your probe with Pathpilot for long? If it is an early fault then it could be your probe set up or process.

Also, you got a Z move from a X Y command after you had completed a probing routine ...have you/can you repeat that a few times in mid air for safety, to see if you can repeat the fault ?

keen
    I have been using Tormach's SPU-40 passive probe for about a few weeks now with no problems setting numerous work offsers since the last tip broke on me during a similar probing routine. I am always very careful to disable the spindle and check travel speeds before running any probe ops. The probe length is set up according to the instructions provided by Tormach within the Probe Setup tab in PathPilot. The tool offsets "99" are correct for the length of the probe with the tts adapter and the diameter of the ruby.

I did try to replicate the Z movement by running the same g0 x0y0 command after the crash but it went to the g54 x,y offset as usual. I can try to replicate this again but my probe is toast. I will contact Tormach tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by refc91 View Post
    I have been using Tormach's SPU-40 passive probe for about a few weeks now with no problems setting numerous work offsers since the last tip broke on me during a similar probing routine. I am always very careful to disable the spindle and check travel speeds before running any probe ops. The probe length is set up according to the instructions provided by Tormach within the Probe Setup tab in PathPilot. The tool offsets "99" are correct for the length of the probe with the tts adapter and the diameter of the ruby.

I did try to replicate the Z movement by running the same g0 x0y0 command after the crash but it went to the g54 x,y offset as usual. I can try to replicate this again but my probe is toast. I will contact Tormach tomorrow.
    OK please let us know how Tormach respond. Keen

What version of PP? IIRC there were problems with probing in earlier ones.