585,712 active members*
4,139 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Laser cutter tripping house safety switch

Hi Everyone, I have a 60w eBay laser cutter which has been working quite well for about 8 months but…

Now when I turn it on it trips the houses safety switch (laser not cutting, just turning it on) this was happening on occasion during cutting which I thought was a circuit overload.

I had my electrician come out and look at it and plugged it in to a non-grounded power point and said it looked like a 50volt earth leek and that in this situation they usually run a dedicated circuit and not put it on the safety switch but it is ok as the breaker will catch it if there is a problem. I am not really that enthusiastic about this as safety switches are there for a reason and I would rather not end up with a nasty shock however low the risk is.

My brother is a retired electrician and has said I should probably put it on its own circuit with its own safety switch that way it should be fine but that I need to have someone look at the earth leek as that needs to be fixed.
    I have also contacted the eBay seller and well he is being less than helpful which I am not surprised about.

I would like to get it fixed but it seems to be too non-standard for most electricians that I have come across, has anyone else had the same or similar issues I am happy to spend time or/and money fixing the issue I just don’t know who I can get to troubleshoot it?? I am in Sydney (Australia) any help experience or idears would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Taderz

Re: Laser cutter tripping house safety switch

Did you get this fixed?