585,744 active members*
4,522 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unhappy CO2 Laser tube 60 W doesn't cut

Hi ! i'm just bought a laser machine, with a CO2 Laser tube 60 W, and need to cut pieces of wood about 5mm thick , the problem is that the laser does not cut , I'm working with RDWorks for the design and control of the machine, i don't know what's wrong, my friend said that the tube probably does not have enough power to cut (60 w ) I attached some images of the cutting configuration to see if is this the problem..

Re: CO2 Laser tube 60 W doesn't cut

So first thing is I find the power setting should be min max at the same setting - otherwise it just does the lower value. The I would post more info of what you can achieve. 15mm/s for a 60 at 50% power seems a bit low but I don't cut wood (and mine is 130w). So if you are cutting it at all (and just not through), lower the speed or do multiple passes. Also hook up a multimeter to the outgoing terminal or return leg (ie NOT High Voltage side) and ready the MA used vs the rated working range - you may be able to up the power. Often "60w machines" are the max possible, but the tubes are rated 40w (really they are 40w machines) - you should be able to tell by the length of the tube and some research if no stickers are present.
    In case anyone is wondering, I'm the twin of the other gfacer on cnczone...

hi, 60W CO2 laser tube really does not have enough power for cutting wood, if cutting wood, above 100W will be better. but that also depend on the machine, if you care about the tubes, within the warranty, you can contact the seller to confirm.

Hi friend,

We saw parameters. What kind of wood 5mm do you want to cut by 60W?

We think you can try to change min. power 85 max. power 90. speed 8mm/s or 5mm/s.

15mm/s speed is a bit fast, 55-80% power is a bit small for 60W laser tube cutting 5mm wood.

Any questions, you can contact me.

Best Regards

Lucy
    Consure Laser
    Web.:http://www.jncslaser.com/ Email: [email protected] Whatspp: +86-18254116182
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jncslaser Skype: consurelaser

I cut 6 to 13 mm white pine or red cedar (not plywood) all the time with my ULS 50 watt machine. I could cut 5 mm red cedar with my 40 watt Chinese machine. Check your mirror and optic alignment. Your tube is running on 20,000 volts DC, the only meter you can use if you know how is a mA (1,000 amp ) in series with the return or negative lead of the tube. If you hook it up wrong its burnt out or exploding meter and if you have it in your hand.... a dead you.
    PS When cutting wood with a 40-60 watt laser, think high power, slow speed.

I cut 5mm all day long on my 60 watt laser 12% speed 65% power. I would as suggested make sure everything is clean, mirrors lens ect then check mirror alignment, and make sure your in focus for the lens you are using.

Hi ! thank u for ur answers, i tried with min 80 -100 power and max 80 -100 power range with 5-10 mm/s speed range and did not work , the kind of the wood that i need to cut is plywood about 5 mm thick, i suppose that the machine should cut without any problems with this configurations but it only burns the piece 1,5 - 2 mm in depth approximately , anyway u told me that i should check the laser alignment, i will do this finding a tutorial, and if u can bring me a tutorial how to do this it would be great.
    PD: minazhang if I can not solve the problem , I'll have to take your advice , I will change the tube with a another with higher power

Check the alignment. Lots of tutorials out there. Also make sure your lens is in the right direction. It will still cut upside down but not as well.

And post a picture.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
    In case anyone is wondering, I'm the twin of the other gfacer on cnczone...

Attachment 297088

follow this tutorial to alinge mirrors

Make sure you are focusing correctly. Whatever the lens manufacturer recommends.
    And the make sure you are focusing that distance to the lens and not just the nosecone.
    (50mm lens is from lens to surface of your work) If you are focusing that from the nosecone
    it will be way way off.

Also make sure your lens is not upside down. How many times have we seen that ?
    The bump or rise should face up and look at the laser beam coming in.
    The flatter side or dented side should be facing the table.

Upside down and in focus will still work but to a lesser degree.

Gozzie

Hi friend,

Please try 3mm/s speed, 95% power. Please firstly, make sure your laser path is correct. Try it. If could not cut by this parameter. So, have to change big power tube.

60W is good at engraving. If cut, it could not cut thick materials. 80W 100W 120W better for cutting.

Here is our Laser Machine Complete User Video, in the end, have manual to guide you how to adjust laser path alignment.

https://youtu.be/glhaw3dVNps

Hope that could help you.

Best Regards

Lucy (consure laser)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	??????final.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	198.5 KB 
ID:	297336
    Web.:http://www.jncslaser.com/ Email: [email protected] Whatspp: +86-18254116182
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jncslaser Skype: consurelaser

Hi ! thanks for ur help i have been solved this problem, the alignment was good, i just needed to bring the noze tip laser, to the work panel closer, the distance now is 3 cm aproximately and it makes the laser thin and cuts perfectly with low power (60 - 80) and speed 15 mm/s, I am very grateful to you for your help and I will post any issue again cause i'm a big noob :rainfro:

So you were out of focus like I mention back in post #5 Glad your up and running.:banana::banana::banana: