584,865 active members*
5,058 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Walter Grinder Controller help

Hi all, I have some questions about a Helitronic R-Model and its controller. I have no idea where to start looking so i decided to post here. I have a Computer running windows NT with the Walter Windows Mode 500 NT software controlling the machine. The computer took a crap today but luckily i had an old power supply and was able to fix it. But since this computer is old and could fail i was wondering what my options are to upgrade the computer system. I contacted Walter Grinder Inc(they sold/built the machine) to see what i can do, they quoted me a lot of money to come out and upgrade the machine to run windows XPandTool Studio. I was wondering if i can do that myself without upgrading the machine's controller. Best case scenario for me would be to get a windows 7computer, install the necessary software to control the machine, and keep it as simple as possible for the operator.

Some details of the machine are: Built July 2001, 450 volts, 3 phase, 60Hz, Largest motor amps is 31, KVA 25. I dont know the model of the controller itself, i couldnt find any markings to identify it.

Is installing a Windows 7or XP with new software a possibility with the old controller. Someone told my colleague that the controller is too old for the new software, but that was a long time ago and he has no details beyond that.
    Any help, ideas, suggestions, would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks for the time

Re: Walter Grinder Controller help

Why not simply clone the hard drive, and get new hardware, and build a computer to run the same way that you are running now?

Quote Originally Posted by ifixcnc View Post
    Why not simply clone the hard drive, and get new hardware, and build a computer to run the same way that you are running now?
    That is an option but i would be worried about the Windows NT operating system not supporting new hardware and their drivers. I would need a couple serial ports and i am not sure if they would communicate with the cards being the OS is so old.

I would built an old style computer with New Old Stock parts.