585,708 active members*
3,895 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mazak SQT18MS/ LNS Quickload

We just bought a mid 90's SQT18MS with a Quickload bar feeder. I need help on the mcodes to tell the barfeeder to push and retract. The top cut program was left in the machine at purchase and I have no documentation on what M codes activate the bar feed.
    I am also having difficulty remembering the the set up in the transfer. I have the program part finished however getting it set up with the Z offsets is a little fuzzy to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John

Mazak/LNS Quickload

Hello John,
    Give LNS America a call at 513-528-5674 ans ask for Terry Preston or Fred DeBord. They are in the Service/Technical department and have forgotten more about barfeeders than I know.

Ray

The FMB we just installed on an Okuma Heritage did not use an m code for advancing a bar. Instead, the bar advanced when the collet opened w/ an M83.

Hello John
    The codes i have listed for bar feed on a Mazak is M68 and M69 however if you have a T-Plus control all you need is M06 and M07 (chuck open and close) at least that's how our bar feeds work.

"I am also having difficulty remembering the the set up in the transfer"

Are you referring to setting up the sub spindle? I manage 3 mazaks, 2 of then are SQT15 MS and have many parts that utilize the sub spindle. I"ll be happy to help!

Steve

Newby/ Steve

Hi Steve,
    I finally have the transfer complete, however I am struggling with the programming the features on the second side of my part. According to what I think is right the face of the part should be the OAL length of my part and I have to work backwards. I had my part programmed this way but everything was off about a 1/4". I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any suggestions?

John

Hi John
    Where is the tool located in relation to the part? Is it to the left of the part or is it over the part?
    Are you starting with "EDGE BAK"? Your starting point of Z should be "-" the length of the part coming off the main spindle, the ending point of Z should be "-" the OAL of the part. If you are holding the part in the main spindle by a 1/4", then this needs to be machined off to get to your final OAL. At least this is how I get things to work the way I want.

EXAMPLE: EDG BAK
    STARTING PT X :1.5 STARTING PT Z:-4.5 END PT X:0 END PT Z:-4.25
    From there, your starting point of Z for all other processes would be 4.25 (without the negative sign).
    Hope this helps.
    Steve

Steve,
    I tried using the edge bak and finished the program. For some reason my tools are about 1/4" away from the face of the part. Is there a Z offset that I'm supposed to be setting? How would I go about doing that? All my tools are touched off by the tooleye. I can get my parts to run if I cheat, but I don't want to do that! Once I have this nailed down I'll have about 50 million more questions so please be patient with me.

John

John
    Sounds like you have to change the Z setting for the sub spindle. This is done in the SetUp window. Use the soft key under "Transfer" and you will see a DRO and also the setup information for the transfer. Cursor to the Z offset for the setup #, probably 1, and "increment input" the amount you need to get to the face of the part. Be sure to write down the existing number,just in case something happens. I usually write down the amount I change it by also.
    Then just offset this setting more or less to get where you need to be. You can get it right to the tenth!

Steve

Steve,
    I see what your talking about on the transfer page. Am I supposed to set the Z offset at the initial setup? I am doing 3 transfer moves.
    1) Moves sub spindle to position (Tranfer Bar/B1 transfer position)
    2) Pulls out the bar to for the next part (Transfer Bar/B2 transfer position)
    Cutoff
    3) Moves sub spindle back to position(Tranfer Move)

On move #2 the Z offset was automatically filled in when I set the transfer position.

On move #3 the Z offset was automatically set when I set the move. Is this the Z offset I need to modify? If so, do I do it like I do on the main spindle.

John

PM me and we'll see if we can get this figured out
    Steve

John
    Have to run to the bank then get a well deserved beer. Been one of those days!

John
    You have to edit the move #3 Z offset. Also, are you adding a SEP, single, head 2 after the move?

Steve

Steve,
    Im drinking my beer as I'm typing this! My week has been pretty sucessful with your input. I'm going to try the Z offset like you say. I had the feeling I was forgetting something. Its been over three years since I've played with one of these toys. I have 4 Haas controls(3 mills, 1 lathe), 1 Fadal(mill), 8 Fanuc(5 mills, 3 lathes) and one Mazatrol that I'm responsible for. All I can say is that I'm always busy.

John

Steve,

That was the ticket! Now everything makes sense. Thank you for your help. I may need to pick your brain soon so be ready! Thanks again.

John

John
    Your welcome! Happy to be of help.
    Steve