584,817 active members*
4,754 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > CNC Wood Router Project Log > 5 Axis CNC Plastic Cutting Router "The CutaRouterer"
Page 6 of 6 456

Re: 5 Axis CNC Plastic Cutting Router "The CutaRouterer"

So I never made that video that I promise. Sorry about that. But I thought I'd stop work for a second to upload the Cipher file so that people can try use it if they want or just use it for reference if they're making their own. You can download it here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...jYtVlhiOE15dlk

It's a script written in Python, you go to the bottom of the script and change
    - the working directories to the Gcode you want to convert,
    - the name you want the converted file to be,
    - the location you want the new converted file to be saved to
    - the tool length offset ('toolOffset' is the distance from the center of rotation to nose of spindle, 'toolLength' is the addition length of the spindle nose to the tool tip. This way you just have to measure the tool length when you change tools and plug that length into the toolLength variable)
    - tool diameter
    - your machine's rapid speed (this converter never uses G00, it just knows when G00 was given and sets feedrate in G01 to your machine's rapid rate, otherwise it goes jerky when the tool retracts (no constant velocity in G00)
    - turn on the 'tilting' boolean if you're converting a 3 axis path to a 5 axis path (IMPORTANT! If you're using 'tilting', the 3 axis path MUST have an axial offset equal to the radius of your ball-nose tool. You set this in your CAM program before post processing, then you bring that Gcode into Cipher)

This program, I think is pretty unique and powerful. I've never seen anything that can convert standard 3 axis paths into 5 axis paths. This will only work for a bi-rotary head style machine like mine where the C axis is parallel to Z, and B is parallel to Y when everything is at 0.
    I also have a version that lets you simulate 5 axis program in 3D with the Blender modelling program, but that's much more technical to set up and I have more bugs in that one.

I MAY still take the time to make a good explanation video, but it's not high on my priorities right now. Maybe if enough people ask me I'll do it.

GOOD

Hi Christian, sounds interesting. Would love to see a video of this.
    Regards
    martin
    Martin G

Quote Originally Posted by marting View Post
    Hi Christian, sounds interesting. Would love to see a video of this.
    Regards
    martin
    Thanks for making me realise that I haven't shared the video on here yet. I did make it already. I understand it's still a damn lot to take in and make it actually work for yourself even if you had the exact same setup as me. But he's the video anyway, enjoy:

Hey, I'm thinking about putting Cipher in a website as with a more graphical interface. Do you guys think that would be a) worth my time and money setting up? b) A worthwhile contribution to the CNC community?

Hi Christian,I think it would be interesting to do so as this would be clearer for all viewers, however weather if it's worth your time is entirely up to how much the system meets your requirements, as every setup is an entire story of its own.
    Regards

Good job ChristianLL, but how about writing your kinematics as plugin for Mach, something like this guy is showing in his THREAD.

Hi Christian,I think it would be interesting to do so as this would be clearer for all viewers, however weather if it's worth your time is entirely up to how much the system meets your requirements, as every setup is an entire story of its own.
    Regards
    It would definitely take some extra work and cleaning up to make it suitable for wider use. Such as support for different setups such as head/head vs head/table style 5 axis machines. I also want to write a 6 axis version for machines like the Zimmerman FZ100 6 axis machine. So I would enjoy hosting a website that offers these tools to people for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomax View Post
    Good job ChristianLL, but how about writing your kinematics as plugin for Mach, something like this guy is showing in his THREAD.
    That's a good question. My main reason simply because I don't know how to write plugins for Mach and am not too interested in learning. Another reason is that if I write it for Mach, then it can only be used with Mach. And with the poor support and slow SLOW development of Mach4, I don't want my programs being exclusive to Mach.

Hi Christian,
    I understand that writing plugins is a challenge for people such as us and that would be a hurdle, however as long as the CAM software is stable and reliable (such as Mach 3) it doesn't really matter if the plugin works only with one software, because you will only be working with one after all and also once you get more confident of its reliability, you wouldn't trade it with anything else, well at least this is my experience. Maybe doing a joint venture with someone who is fluent with programming / writing plugins and you test them would be an alternative? Also it doesn't need to be absolutely free, as I understand that time spent on a project is time taken away from something else, hence needs to be compensated for.

I do hope that this has been somehow helpful as I too am building a CNC which eventually hope to convert into 5 axis, although I do not have immediate plans for it, so having said that it is not of major importance. However I would be willing to pay for the plugins (and what ever would be needed) to upgrade it.
    Regards
    Martin G

Quote Originally Posted by Tomax View Post
    Hi Christian,
    I understand that writing plugins is a challenge for people such as us and that would be a hurdle, however as long as the CAM software is stable and reliable (such as Mach 3) it doesn't really matter if the plugin works only with one software, because you will only be working with one after all and also once you get more confident of its reliability, you wouldn't trade it with anything else, well at least this is my experience. Maybe doing a joint venture with someone who is fluent with programming / writing plugins and you test them would be an alternative? Also it doesn't need to be absolutely free, as I understand that time spent on a project is time taken away from something else, hence needs to be compensated for.

I do hope that this has been somehow helpful as I too am building a CNC which eventually hope to convert into 5 axis, although I do not have immediate plans for it, so having said that it is not of major importance. However I would be willing to pay for the plugins (and what ever would be needed) to upgrade it.
    Regards

I would only make the program on the website such that people can upload their gcode and have it converted to have the correct values for functions like RTCP. With this type of setup, it would be easy for me to add support for other controllers with their own specific gcode standards. If I make it a plugin for Mach3, then I'm completely tied into that and no one else can use it. If I don't have to, I won't charge money for people to use this. I want it to be my free contribution to helping move this DIY CNC world along to become better and better while being affordable. Also, I could run ads on the website to make a little bit of money to compensate time anyway.

I do appreciate your input. Thank you.

your noted in post 90 ....Here I'm fine tuning the rotary axes so that the spindle is concentric with the C axis, as well as finding 0 degrees on both axes.

Can you provide a video on how this done.. step..s used... what this software or hardware tuned pls explain etc?

Quote Originally Posted by eloid View Post
    your noted in post 90 ....Here I'm fine tuning the rotary axes so that the spindle is concentric with the C axis, as well as finding 0 degrees on both axes.

Can you provide a video on how this done.. step..s used... what this software or hardware tuned pls explain etc?
    You could do this way:

or this way:

or this way

automated checking alignment

has someone tried 2018 fusion 360 "ultimate" version ie advanced manufacturing tools, to generate g code?

advanced manufacturing
    3+2 machining (5-axis positional) Reduce the setups required for your job by positioning the stock in different directions through a combination of A, B, or C axis motions.

Page 6 of 6 456