585,931 active members*
4,289 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Vectric > Is this good for me?

Is this good for me?

I'm seriously considering getting V Carve Pro. I have been playing with the
    free trial and it seems to work. I'm new at this kind of thing so I can't make great decisions on which software to use. I built my own 60"x60" cnc router table. I would like to do some signs and other wood cnc projects like brackets with scrolls etc, not just signs. I'm curious what else can be done with V Carve Pro other than signs. I am using Mach 3 and have a new 2.4 gig, 1 gig ram desktop for this. Any remarks, suggestions?..Thanks....Nick

I would like to jump in on this thread. Same type of question as Monte55,

From the trial Vcarve looks great for signs. How usefull are users finding it for other more general 2.5d work.

Interetsed to hear from people who are actualy using it

I have been using Vcarve and more recently Vcarve Pro to do all my design work and toolpaths for general cutting.

I didn’t want to purchase a second package for general machining and Vcarve has not let me down. It is easy to design parts and there are enough drawing features to get the job done without making the package too complicated. It will also import all the common drawing and graphic files if you have any existing work.

It is capable of doing decorative work as well as cutting out shaped objects. A new feature in VCarve Pro is being able to use profiled cutters which can be used for edge work on your brackets.

I have attached a sample of jobs I have designed and machined in Vcarve Pro using a homebuilt CNC router. The motor mounts are a good example of general machining because there are pockets, inside and outside profile cutting and drilling toolpaths in the job. I use Mach3 on the machine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Motor_mounts_2.jpg   flipside_grill.jpg   Transformer_case_1.jpg   Sub_cover_1.jpg  

truck_N_Tuff.jpg  
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Quote Originally Posted by monte55 View Post
    I'm seriously considering getting V Carve Pro. I have been playing with the
    free trial and it seems to work. I'm new at this kind of thing so I can't make great decisions on which software to use. I built my own 60"x60" cnc router table. I would like to do some signs and other wood cnc projects like brackets with scrolls etc, not just signs. I'm curious what else can be done with V Carve Pro other than signs. I am using Mach 3 and have a new 2.4 gig, 1 gig ram desktop for this. Any remarks, suggestions?..Thanks....Nick
    Well I thought this would be a easy answer....
    In the land of flat, i can't think of what it wont do.
    I started out using sheetcam but find I use VCP more now.
    Since you have the trial you kinda have a since of what it's capable of...the preview cuts are a accurate as to what you will get in the end.
    My router table collects more dust these days...profiles, pockets, engraving, drilling toolpaths, dado, miter cuts, surfacing, scroll work, antarsia, shaping, ripping, anyway...you get the ideal...
    it started out as a sign making tool...were way beyond that now.
    Plus the software support cannot be beat. Any question will be answered.
    I would suggest you visit the software's forum and take a look in the gallery, alot of nice work....

Chuck
    Aspire, VCPro, PhotoVCarve, Cut3D, Mach3, Home built CnC.

Got it

OK.........I bit the bullet and purchaced V Carve Pro with the Vector 3D
    clipart collection as a bundle. I save about a hundred bucks this way. I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Ask me six months ago if I would spend $600 on software and I would have told you you're nuts. I'm beginning to think CNC has almost the same power as cheese.

Thank to all who replied......Nick:wave:

Good move!

I think six months from now that you will be like me, a proud owner of VCarvePro and maybe even Cut3D and PhotoVCarve too...
    The folks at Vectric are on the top of my "A" list!
    Here is some stuff i did recently...
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...=15995&page=11
    Bill Schober