585,973 active members*
4,041 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Tools / Tooling Technology > CNC Tooling > Drilling / Milling Carbon Fiber Blocks

Drilling / Milling Carbon Fiber Blocks

Here's a couple pics of the vaporizers I make. I make them from aluminum, brass, bronze, copper and titanium.

I have to drill and interpolate two 3.5in deep 0.800in diameter holes in each 1x2x4in block.

I've had my tormach 1100 for about 6 months, all carbide tooling. I use a 4 flute and a 3 flute tin coated em for these holes currently.

I'm trying to find out the best tooling to use to make the same parts from carbon fiber blocks.

If anyone has some experience with cf, I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

Re: Drilling / Milling Carbon Fiber Blocks

Carbon fiber is not for machining, but for laminating. Why don't you machine one nice precise mold, polish it up real shiny?! Then you can make loads of great looking CF parts from this mold.

I'm not really , well at all , equipped f I r laying fiber, that's why I am looking to mill blocks that are already done. I'd like to replicate what I'm doing exactly, if I laid it up myself I'd be a little different design I think.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I see. Well, what I can tell you is that the carbon fiber will probably fray so you will have to sand it afterwards. And it will heavily wear down your milling bits. I know that from drilling. That is why the finishing ist mostly done with grinding tools.
    The temperature should not exceed 80-100°C (depending on the resin used). Otherwise the resin fails and the parts get brittle.
    No idea about which milling tool would work best though. I don't have a mill yet and little experience. I guess I should shut up then, right?!
    There's always trial and error. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Nils Holgersson View Post
    I see. Well, what I can tell you is that the carbon fiber will probably fray so you will have to sand it afterwards. And it will heavily wear down your milling bits. I know that from drilling. That is why the finishing ist mostly done with grinding tools.
    The temperature should not exceed 80-100°C (depending on the resin used). Otherwise the resin fails and the parts get brittle.
    No idea about which milling tool would work best though. I don't have a mill yet and little experience. I guess I should shut up then, right?!
    There's always trial and error. Good luck!

Nono, I certainly appreciate it! Seriously, I guess what I really need is to find a guy that does carbon fiber work in southern California. I can make a mold I guess and see what I can get it done for... no fun in that tho.

Being in nothern Germany, I can't help you there either. But it could help if you look near the coast. Everyone involved in boats and yachts should know their way around resin and glas fiber. Working carbon fiber is not different from glas. Just a little more expensive, lighter and stronger. I would prefer to use epoxy resin instead of polyester, because it does not stink. After all, you inhale the stuff you vaporise, right?

Haha, if I could figure out how to do it I'd tell ya. 😨 the way I do it now I use aluminum and the body is a ground, I'm gonna try a new setup with delrin body and I'm bed some copper contacts into it, and if I like that I may get after the diamond bits and charge into some cf blocks. Not quite sure yet .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk