585,719 active members*
4,452 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

sound dampening enclosure

Hello,

I have been on and off building my CNC enclosure for my A2Z cnc/sherline mill for quite awhile now. It has actually been kind of a slow project because of time devoted to other projects and work and it just kept getting pushed to the side. I live in an apartment so I am trying to dampen high and low frequency sounds and vibrations to prevent being complained. My enclosure is half inch plywood with several coats of epoxy on the inside and outside of the enclosure. Just the plywood I think would dampen the sound a fair amount, but I wanna go with another layer of added acoustic dampening and go with eggcrate foam or something similar. The problem is, I don't want it on the inside where there will be chips and coolant splashing. Would any sound dampening material like eggcrate work just as effectively if its bonded to the outside of the enclosure rather than the inside?

Here are a few pics of the enclosure when I was doing the coating and of my mill (which by the way, has a heavy metal frame that I built for the enclosure. It sitting on a dresser was temporary in the pics)

James

Re: sound dampening enclosure

For sound dampening you need mass. So attaching anything dense to the large flat panels will help out. A lot of car guys use that adhesive backed roofing repair rolls.

Green drywall might help. Use as thick as you can find to add mass, but you want to use resilient channel to hang the drywall. This decouples the outer layer of drywall from the inner enclosure. If you just add layers and don't decouple it, the sound will travel through all the mechanical connections. Google Owens Corning Quiet Zone. They have information that might help.

If effective sound-damping is required, I'd build the enclosure using that thick rigid Polyisocyanurate insulation foam; the kind that has aluminum foil on one side: AP Foil | JM.com It's easy to cut and fairly light, and is unlikely to be affected by the chips and coolant.
    Andrew Werby
    Website