585,727 active members*
3,995 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need help - two slave axes of two main axes?

Hello!
    I'm thinking about building a copying device where I can control with joystick an arm with small ball tip in two directions (Y-axis and Z-axis) around a hand sculpted model, while the opposite side (where I want to install a spindle motor) follows the exact same movements but is inverted in the X-axis direction. In other words, my intention is to be able to follow the left hand side of an object while the right hand side is being carved accordingly as a mirrored shape.
    I would like to know if I can control two axes and have the other two follow the same movements using Mach 3 software. I'm aware that Mach 3 can have a XYZ setup where a 4th axis is slave to one of the main axis. However , is it possible to have two slave motors follow 2 main one? Or even 3?

I have heard that the software is limited to 4 axis total, so I wonder weather I can use 3 main motors and have 3 slave motors to double their movement?
    Or can i hook up two motors to one axis and this way have 3 axis control 6 motors (correct me if I am wrong)?

Does Mach 4 give more possibility and flexibility in this matter? Because the main idea is to have 3 axis follow 3 axis automatically in mirrored fashion. I hope that there is a solution for my endeavor. Any suggestions are highly appreciated. Thank you so much for your time!

George

Re: Need help - two slave axes of two main axes?

Yes, you can have 3 pairs of slaved axis.
    Mach3 can control up to 6 axis plus a step/dir spindle.

Yes, Mach4 is more flexible, but it's much more difficult to use, and imo, it's not yet finished.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Re: Need help - two slave axes of two main axes?

Thank you so much Gerry! That is great I am new to this kind of stuff and now i feel more confident to go ahead and continue gathering the parts and advance further my work on the upright cnc/cmm.
    There is something else that i would like to mention and get a reality check?
    the parts that I am planing to buy for the 1st experimental cnc tower are:

Two 1.5" Simplicity Pacific Linear Bearing SB24-4E (already got them I might upgrade for the longer ones)

304 Stainless Steel Square Tube 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x (.120" Wall) x 96" long... or
    80/20 Inc Aluminum 1.5" Square Tube MF 8116 x 96.5 N

2 sets of 439 oz.in Nema 24 Stepper Motor & TB6600 Driver DIY CNC kits (3 motors per kit)...or
    2x 3 axis nema 23 stepper motor 425oz.in 112MM 3A 4leads&driver CNC

2 x 304070 1" - 5 x 72 inch (6 foot) 1 start Acme threaded rod for lead screw CNC ...or
    2 ballscrews lead screws RM1605-800/1500mm-C7 cnc router

FOUR BEARINGS 2.2KW WATER COOLED SPINDLE MOTOR ER20 & VFD INVERTER DRIVE

20MM SBR20-2500mm LINEAR SLIDE GUIDE SHAFT 2 RAIL+4SBR20UU BEARING BLOCK CNC set

...and other parts to connect evryting together

Does the parts list seem ok?

What's ok with the design on pictures and what does not seem right?
    Any suggestions advice or precautions are of great help!
    Thank you!
    George
    Attachment 298158
    Attachment 298160
    Attachment 298162