585,556 active members*
3,632 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > floppy to usb emulator help please

floppy to usb emulator help please

I have a 1998 VF3 that came with a floppy drive from the factory. I've never used it, and don't really even know how. Well, I had a small problem with my RS232 connection, and decided that one of those floppy to usb emulators might be a good idea. So, I got one and installed it. Now I don't know how to get files off it to the machine. I looked at the earliest manual Haas shows on their website, for a 2000 and got nowhere. Does anyone have one of these conversions in a similar year machine, and can you tell me the sequence for getting a single file from the usb to the machine? I'm not fussing with that partitioning the usb, I only want to move 1 file at a time. The floppy to usb came from Laser Motion, but I'm pretty sure they're all basically the same. I've looked on the internet for help and got nowhere.

Re: floppy to usb emulator help please

Have you formatted the usb to be floppy sized with the utility for that. It will not read a regular USB, you have to make the USB formatted to look like a floppy too. After that I have no idea as I don't have that machine or control.
    In case anyone is wondering, I'm the twin of the other gfacer on cnczone...

You must format the USB stick to 1.44mb for it to work with the floppy drive emulator. To load programs from a floppy (or in your case the emulator) hit "List Prog" then type the file name that your are trying to load including the file extension, i.e .txt or .nc or whatever format you are using. Make sure that you have a percentage sign (%) at the beginning and end of your program. You must also have a program number in the program. You also may not have comments with over so many characters. I believe the magic number is 68. See my example below. Then you can follow the prompt on the screen. It should say "F2 Rd F3 Write" It may be any of the function keys, I'm not by a machine at the moment and don't remember which it is off the top of my head but will check when I am by a machine.

Example:

%
    O02020 (Spindle Warm-up)
    (This program should be run prior to)
    (machine use if machine has been idle)
    (for more than 4 days.)
    (Cycle time: 20-minutes.)
    (This program can be used for all)
    (spindle types and may be used daily)
    (for spindle warm-up prior to high)
    (speed spindle use. Adjust spindle)
    (speed override depending on maximum)
    (spindle speed of machine: Set)
    (override at 50% for 5,000 rpm)
    (machines, set at 100% for 7,500)
    (& 10,000 rpm machines, and set at)
    (150% for 15,000 rpm machines.)
    (9-21-99)
    S500 M03
    G04 P200.
    S1000 M03
    G04 P200.
    S2500 M03
    G04 P200.
    S5000 M03
    G04 P200.
    S7500 M03
    G04 P200.
    S10000 M03
    G04 P200.
    M30
    %

Just checked a machine, it's F2 Write, F3 Read. So you need to type the name of the program including the file extension and then hit F3.

I have an sl30 and I just installed a floppy to usb emulator. I can see the drive, I can send a file to the usb stick, I can read the directory and see the program. If i try to read it on the computer. there is nothing there. I formatted the stick and used fat32. Full format What am I doing wrong?

I think the fat32 may be your problem. I believe to get mine to work correctly I had to format the sticks fat12. If you ordered one of the floppy emulators on ebay, it should have came with a little disk. On that disk, there is a program called V123_SFD.exe which is a nice little utility that will format the USB stick for you. It may take some hunting to find on the disk, but it should be there. If it is not, I can send you a copy of it. Let me know if you need it.

Great I will give that a try...Thank you