584,829 active members*
4,944 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > Are new versions more stable than Sprutcam 7?
Page 1 of 2 12

Are new versions more stable than Sprutcam 7?

I'm currently running Sprutcam 7 Build 1.6 Rev 64105 (the latest version) running on Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1. I haven't done any CNC work for over two years, and I'm now getting back into it.

Sprutcam 7 is a powerful tool, but it's too unreliable to use. The application crashes on be about once every hour. This is too often to be usable.

I see that Sprutcam is up to version 9, with 10 coming out soon. I'm thinking about upgrading, but only if the newer versions are more stable. If they're not, then my money is better spent elsewhere.

Are the newer versions more stable? If so, is there a recommended version?

Sincerely,
    Frederic

Re: Are new versions more stable than Sprutcam 7?

Frederic,
    Welcome back to the forum!

I use sprut 7 ver 64105 and it isnt unstable here, I use a laptop with 4 gigs of ram and it works fine. Sprut will tend to crash if I simulate many times it uses a lot of memory. I get around this by saving often. I have some multi part programs with waterline ops that are sizeable, these are the ones that tend to crash with too many simulations.

Other than this it seems to work fine for what I use it for.
    mike sr

I have SC7.1.6 release 51469 and it is stable in the areas I use it. I stopped updating SC because each release seemed to introduce bags while fixing others.
    If you do upgrade to SC9 or 10, you will have to pay full price. A possible alternative CAM about is HSM Advisor which has had good reviews here by ex SC-ers.
    Bevin

Bevin,

Thanks. Is there a location where I can download older SprutCam versions?

BTW, I last night I downloaded and installed a 30 day trial of SC9. It crashed as soon as I launched it and opened a file. So I don't think I'll be paying to money to upgrade to a new version of Sprut..

I'll check out HSM Advisor.

Frederic

You don't have open gl set properly or your computer has issues
    Quote Originally Posted by TXFred View Post
    Bevin,

Thanks. Is there a location where I can download older SprutCam versions?

BTW, I last night I downloaded and installed a 30 day trial of SC9. It crashed as soon as I launched it and opened a file. So I don't think I'll be paying to money to upgrade to a new version of Sprut..

I'll check out HSM Advisor.

Frederic

I think you should try CadRhino's suggestion first. Within SC select the System Setup icon (next to the calculator icon) -> Visualization tab and there is an option to "use simple OpenGL objects only".
    Bevin

For me, each successive release has worked better and I rarely get crashes now.

Quote Originally Posted by bevinp View Post
    Within SC select the System Setup icon (next to the calculator icon) -> Visualization tab and there is an option to "use simple OpenGL objects only".
    Thanks Bevin. This improved the system's stability significantly. It still crashes, but not as often as it did before.

Are there any other configuration changes that I should make to help SprutCam run happily?

Frederic

Frederic,,
    Not that I know of.
    Have you tried uninstalling (via Windows) and reinstalling SC.7? Remember about the dongle being attached when reinstalling
    Can you free trial an upgrade to SC+?
    If no success, I would try a free trial of another CAM, but it does seem to be related to thge version of SC you are using.

I thought about giving you the download of the SC7 release I have but it is 448MB and CNCzone would not allow me to attach it. I may explore the option of FTP-ing it to you, if you are interested.
    Bevin

I started with Sprut 7 in January 2012 the early versions had some bugs,later versions worked much better. Basically I only have crashes when it runs out of memory from too many simulations. I would be tempted to try it on a different computer?? I have two I5 Toshiba laptops, windows, Intel processors, nothing special and both machines I have had approximately 5 years or more, it seems to work fine on both machines.

My crashes are all memory related lately.

I have the latest version on CD, I made a copy for a just in case situation, version 64105.
    mike sr

Sprut is critical of the .igs files I use too, I was trying to setup a waterline op and it wouldnt finish the toolpath. I tried resaving shutting down reloading the program etc, nothing seemed to work. The problem was something in the igs file it didnt like, redrawing the file cured the problem, this didnt cause the program to crash, it just didnt work correctly.......It did crash later but that was because of too many simulations, I think the 4 gig I have isnt enough memory for sprut.
    mike sr

I run sprut 9 and it has a number of problems that surface now and then. Working with and editing tool library can be very error prone and cause major program instabilities. I see some real memory or error problems mostly if I try to do major modifications to a complex sprut 8 file. I can see some things just start acting up. My solution is to re create the file from a clean sput 9 template loading a new igs file and setting up all new operations. Sounds like work but if done right its not to bad and 99% of the problems I see go away. IMHO if your crashing program or seeing operations not generating tools paths or any flakey behavior this is a decent solution. And of course I run sprut stand alone most the time with no other software in memory just operating system and a clean boot. Some things to consider if you spend time with this program.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    I run sprut 9 and it has a number of problems that surface now and then. Working with and editing tool library can be very error prone and cause major program instabilities. I see some real memory or error problems mostly if I try to do major modifications to a complex sprut 8 file. I can see some things just start acting up. My solution is to re create the file from a clean sput 9 template loading a new igs file and setting up all new operations. Sounds like work but if done right its not to bad and 99% of the problems I see go away. IMHO if your crashing program or seeing operations not generating tools paths or any flakey behavior this is a decent solution. And of course I run sprut stand alone most the time with no other software in memory just operating system and a clean boot. Some things to consider if you spend time with this program.
    MD,
    It was a problem here trying to set up a new tool, it would give me an error. I found that going to Tormach parameters, clicking on mill tools, then work with tool library it will bring up the tool library with all the tools listed, not just the ones for the particular op being used aat the time, I have been able to change them there or set up a new one without error messages.
    mike sr

I will try that. Thanks for posting this.
    I have had 9 for some time but haven't used it because I am waiting for 10 and was hoping it had this issue worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    MD,
    It was a problem here trying to set up a new tool, it would give me an error. I found that going to Tormach parameters, clicking on mill tools, then work with tool library it will bring up the tool library with all the tools listed, not just the ones for the particular op being used aat the time, I have been able to change them there or set up a new one without error messages.

An issue in 7 is the Group option, it doesnt work correctly on all ops. I wanted it for when I change something on the part. I have a new part and it has three waterline ops, if I simulate more than a couple times I get the out of memory error, which results in a crash.
    mike sr

I'm also on Sprut 7 1.6 64105 with 8Gb of RAM. I still have memory errors and 8Gb more showed up yesterday putting me at 16 (I'm on Win7 64). I'm not confident this will fix my problems, but it's worth a shot. I really like Sprut, but I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth upgrading. I really don't like that there is not option for upgrade from 7.

I hear you on the lack of path forward for us Sprut Old Timers. FYI the extra memory will help you CHUD, but you will still end up getting some out of memory errors if you keep rolling changes and running simulations without a restart every once in a while. Ask me how I know :-)? As I look at the pattern of comments from folks now jumping into 10 it bothers me. I saw even worse comments from 2007 to 7. When 8 rolled out everyone who was an early adopter seemed to be pissed off due to a lack of backward to forwards compatibility and other weird issues. This fervent banter kept me at bay from upgrading because I knew that 9 was just around the corner (as was stated by folks at Tormach and put out by Sprut). I own 2 all post software licenses to 7 and paid for support for 2 years on one of these licenses. I asked for a price to upgrade to 8 6 weeks before 9 came out and didn't pull the trigger. The second that 9 came out I was SOL. Oh by the way do we all remember the recurring noise from the early adopters as to how the transition to 9 sucked too. At that point I didn't feel to bad because 7 still did what I needed it to do and I knew how to slay the dragons that may rear up in each session. OOPS!!! Uh Oh one of my two dongles died and I have been left left with no redundancy. Thankfully after begging Jacob and Eric (who is now on to bigger and better things) they got me hooked up with a software unlock on one of them, but I am now down to a dongle that is known to fail and the software unlock version has 126 days remaining. I am definitely feeling pressure to spend the $ and get version 10 in the next 126 days, but I once again am reading a lot of unhappy comments about unforeseen issues for others that have chosen the upgrade path. As a customer I just feel like there is no continuous improvement being done on the core issues that we face. Yes the new features look great, but if the stability and version controls are poor what are we really buying?

I tout the software packages value for what can be done once things get smooth. The problem is that the "value of Sprut" is only a valid assumption once stability for a version has been proven and a post processor remains stable. To be honest out of the last 3 versions it appears that Sprut7 is winning by a long shot for us Tormach users-even with it's known crashes and errors. Granted that the features have evolved and I see a lot of things that are getting me quite excited, but do I have to risk losing production, crashing tools and potentially stepping away forever from the one license that provides some known stability to go there?

I think sprut 10 is a decent product and worth the cost . I find it works overall much better then 8 or 9. My main frustration was and is the post for tormach mill changing with no user notification. This causes problems that take sometimes hours to sort out and could have been a 5 minute fix had they informed Tormach post users. Or for that matter decide on a settings and stick with them, providing long term compatibility for all users of that post. Imho this would vastly reduce the errors, support calls and limit broken tools, oh and provide files that compile the same code for years.
    Anyway I think you will enjoy using the program. It has many time and tool saving features some are very clever and fun to use. Just keep an eye on the code it spits out

Quote Originally Posted by pickled View Post
    FYI the extra memory will help you CHUD,
    What's CHUD?
    Bevin

PS. I agree with your statement that it is better to stick with known bugs and their workarounds than pay >$900 or so for a new batch of bugs and learning. If SC provided a cheap upgrade path then yes, but until then, if SC7 is doing the job for you now then it's not worth the extra $$$.
    However, as an elderly Professor in IT said to me, "the half life of knowledge one gains of any IT is at best 4 years".

I'll stay with 7 until my dongle dies. In the meantime, I plan to become more familiar with Fusion 360. I'm also waiting to see what the CAM options are going to be with OnShape since I prefer it to Fusion as far as CAD goes. I really want to stay with Sprut but I'm not going to pay $1K to be frustrated with bugs and crashes. Tormach seems to be going the Fusion route and John at NYCCNC looks to have also made the jump. I think Sprut is shooting themselves in the foot by offering no upgrade paths for older users.

Page 1 of 2 12