584,800 active members*
4,854 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 6 of 6 456
    there spindle is 325.00 that includes the bearings and drawbar

yepp, I emailed him and got the same price. Any of you guys have that spindle modeled in 3d? or 2d?

I recently sent my order in for a IH CNC Turn Key Mill with the NT30 spindle option. I am now in the process of deciding which tool holders to buy. I have a few questions:

- Does CAT30, BT30, ISO30, NTMB30 all work with this spindle?
    - IH says that the included drawbar has a 0.5"-13 screw (0.5" size with 13 threads per inch). This thread must screw on perfectly to the toolholder (where the retention knob is usually installed). I noticed the BT30 has a M12 x 1.75 thread on the retention knob which will not work for the NT30 spindle & drawbar. Which of the CAT, BT, ISO, and NTMB will work with the supplied drawbar threads?
    - Is it possible to install a different drawbar with a different thread to make it work with the BT30 tool holders, which is my preferred tool holder?

Thanks,

you can buy NMTB 30 tool holders. i would buy those. as for name brand i like bison as they seem to be good quality, but i'm sure the import ones will work to. there are some variations between the cat, iso, nmtb etc that i'm not 100% sure what the differences are. i am pretty sure the tapers are the same but the lower geometry and stud geometry may be different.

also if need be changing a drawbar is not that hard, you just pull it out and replace it with another one.

Google works pretty good. For example look here:

http://www.coventrytoolholders.co.uk/pdfs/A6-A10.pdf

It seems they are all M12 so it doesn't look like any will work with the supplied draw-bar.

You can of course make your own draw-bar. However not all tapers appear to have the same taper length.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by georgebarr View Post
    I recently sent my order in for a IH CNC Turn Key Mill with the NT30 spindle option. I am now in the process of deciding which tool holders to buy. I have a few questions:

- Does CAT30, BT30, ISO30, NTMB30 all work with this spindle?
    - IH says that the included drawbar has a 0.5"-13 screw (0.5" size with 13 threads per inch). This thread must screw on perfectly to the toolholder (where the retention knob is usually installed). I noticed the BT30 has a M12 x 1.75 thread on the retention knob which will not work for the NT30 spindle & drawbar. Which of the CAT, BT, ISO, and NTMB will work with the supplied drawbar threads?
    - Is it possible to install a different drawbar with a different thread to make it work with the BT30 tool holders, which is my preferred tool holder?

Thanks,

ISO30 tool holder cone size?

Hello
    Does anyone know the dimensions of the tool holder ISO 30

I called Industrial Hobbies and they said they will make me a BT30 style drawbar when the machine is ready to ship. Therefore, this will already be pre-installed. So, this solves my problem.

Thanks,

I don't think this is ISO 30. Check the link in post 105. ISO tapers have a short parallel section at the top of the taper. This will at least make a difference to the draw-bar length.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by saulij View Post

ISO taper is designed for manual tool change, DV (DIN 69871) is for automatic tool changer with retention knob (called ISO taper also). Taper dimensions are identical in ISO, DV and BT-tapers. Main differences are in flange for tool changer.

Sauli

Also, due to the parallel section on the ISO30 taper, it will need a 20mm shorter draw bar.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by saulij View Post
    Main differences are in flange for tool changer.

Sauli

Are iso30 spindles still available for $65????

This thread was a year or more ago, I cannot see any $65 iso 30 spindles available on a google search. Are they still available, where from, web link??????

The $65 price is from several years ago. This was about the time that Aaron was winding down his ownership of Industrial Hobbies. It was never stated as such, but I believe he was cleaning off the shelves and reduced the price to move these out. I know that he did offer his last few mills at an attractive price and they were gone in just a few days. Wish I'd had the dollars available at the time.

Glenn

I am no expert and this is my opinion. So take it or leave it.

Iso 30 or R-8

In the early 90s I was a quality manager at a tooling shop. We built fixtures for everything from very small plastic parts to robotic welding fixtures. I programmed a CMM (Brown and Sharpe) for all of the inspection and tuning needed.

So for 10 hours a day I helped the tool makers tune the fixtures and then did a final inspection. All of the tool makers had there personnel machine the company provided the mill but no one else used it. They were Lagun knee mills with an R-8 spindles. I learned that these mills were very accurate and the R-8 spindle was repeatable. These tool makers made there living and reputation with yes an R-8 spindle.

How much torque was used to tighten the R-8? No body cared as long as you did not suck an end mill.

Bottom line the repeatability of an R-8 spindle was never a problem.

What about rigidity?

Well I have seen 1 ½ dia 3 carbide insert face mill taking a .200 thousands deep pass in mild steel. I have seen a knee mill with a 5/8 roughing end mill buried @ ¾ of an inch in mild steel. The force it took was stalling a Servo power feed. Rate of feed ??? I don’t know but it was slow.

I personally would never abuse a machine like that. Nor do I recommend it.

Most of the hogging was done on:

1st was a #3 (?) horizontal milling machine (not a knee mill) with a ISO 40 spindle. I believe it had a 7 hp motor. This 5,000 lb monster took care of most of the hogging.

2nd Machine used for hogging was a 18,000 dollar band saw. Man did this save the company time and money.

It comes down to how much time you have. I don’t push any of the milling/lathe tools I own. I just shortens up the life of the machine.

Evan

I'm wondering why this old thread was resurected ? OK, some one needs an answer to the old question, Why would a 30 taper holder be wanted ? The ONLY answer to this question that would make any sense is that you already have a machine which had a variety of these holders and you wanted to be able to use them to save expense ! I've worked in a very large machine shop and when I got privy to any of the info being bantered about it boiled down to two major points one being can we use are existing base of tools and will it do the jobs we intend and will the fixtures mount to machine. Those holders are very expensive compared to the r8 and i've found some quick change holders that are small, light, strong, and reasonably priced. I don't have any other machines to borrow holders and tools from and the r8 will handle more HP than i'll ever put on this machine. Consider the "Weakest link" principle for a moment. You will not gain accuracy, nore rigidity, torque, speed, or the ability to change tools fast enough to make any differance by going to any 30 40 or other holders. All that increases is the expense. You may be able to mount some very large cutters, but weakest link points to lack of torque to hog the material that would make it profitable. They will sell it to you if you want it, and rightfully so ! Is it better than the r8 well, that would depend on application wouldn't it ! When your putting together a home based shop and you ask questions about this type of situation you must consider all the scholars that have read everything and know everything except whats real and whats imagined. Get a 30 lb bag of salt instead and throw it freely !
    Don
    IH v-3 early model owner

Quote Originally Posted by Loadedagain View Post
    not sure about adding bearings, but isn't abec7 a little excessive? what do you feel the benefits are as opposed to the abec1/3 is? they're $20... and the 7's are almost $600 for a pair.
    Don’t use anything besides Abec 7 on a spindle. They can be had for $150/pair if you look around.

Page 6 of 6 456