585,589 active members*
3,460 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Grizzly out of stock of X3s -- any alternative sources?

Grizzly out of stock of X3s -- any alternative sources?

Just when I was ready to purchase an X3 and start converting it, I got an email from Grizzly saying X3 mills (G0463) are back ordered until March 22. Can anyone else suggest an alternative vendor? From what I've read Harbor Freight isn't a great deal due to its reduced dimensions and Lathemaster which I believe once carried them no longer does.

Also, any word on the price of the Super X3 from Grizzly?

I know the feeling. That email killed my buzz too. I have been building a cart about once a week for a month now. THen I chicken out, second guess myself and close the window. I ordered mine Friday, then I got a nice email. Oh well. I will try to call them to find out about the super x3
    When all is said and done, more is said than done.

Whew! I just barely got one I guess. I ordered one Dec. 3 and if @!#^%* Saia Motor Freight will get off their butts and bring it out to the house, I'll have it. It's been at the local terminal since LAST WEEK and they've managed to keep it to themselves. Supposedly tomorrow is the day.

Man, I hope I didn't get the last one they had in stock....I don't want a hangar queen that's been robbed for parts!

all the handles, electronics,motor will be missing!!!LOL

call grizzly. MO location has some in stock, and only a few left. Mine is on it's way.

Hoo-Ahh! I take back what I said about Saia. They had some issues with getting a liftgate truck scheduled. The driver said he'd be there at 11:30 today...I pulled into the driveway at 11:29 and when I got out, he rolled to a stop on the street behind me! He put it right where I wanted it in the garage and waited for me to take the crate off to make sure Mr. Big Bad Green Bear X-3 was OK. (Which he was...no hangar queen)

I'm REALLY impressed with it...bigger and stouter than I thought it would be. I won't get to commit chip-making 'til this weekend but I did fire it up to make sure it ran and shifted gears and all. I'm real glad I saved my pennies and waited to get an X-3 instead of an X-2. It's a brute!

Mr. Big Bad Green Bear X-3
    lol!

Congrats on your new mill. I like my x3 as well. It's a nice machine.

Steve

Now I gotta figure out how to get the sucker up off'n the floor and onto it's stand....that dude is heavy!

I am happy for you. Can't wait to get mine in the future.

mine is en route and should make it here by the 20th. I also bought a big vise, clamp kit, boring set, collet set, and a bunch of other crap. I have no idea what I am going to do with it yet, or how to do it.

Good news! Based on bryanrabb's advice I called the MO location of Grizzly and they had only one X3 left! After a few calls I finally found the person who could authorize shipping to California, even though I'm in the Washington warehouse's territory. Sure it cost a bit more for shipping, but it seemed to be the last X3 in the country for several months so I had to get it!

Along the way I did get to talk to Lathemasters (they used to sell the X3 and still sell can get parts for it, but no longer sell the mill), Syil USA (they sell the nice Syil CNC kits and machines but not the manual version of the mill) and Harbor Freight (their phone operators don't know anything besides what's printed in the catalog and they can only read those specs with no idea what they refer to). HF still has their version of the mill but I was unable to confirm the rumor that they may be selling the longer table, taller column version.

Also I saw one other distributor on the web: Cummins Tools
    http://www.cumminstools.com/browse.cfm/4,1965.htm. For a cool $1349 I hope you get more than the Harbor Freight version, but I'm not sure.

Now for the off the truck, into the garage and onto the bench part of the experience! I've heard of a variety of approaches including engine hoists, come-alongs (with ramps) and recruiting several burly friends. Anybody have a favorite?

Thanks again bryanrabb for the Grizzly MO suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by kdoerksen View Post
    Now for the off the truck, into the garage and onto the bench part of the experience! I've heard of a variety of approaches including engine hoists, come-alongs (with ramps) and recruiting several burly friends. Anybody have a favorite?
    Congrats on new X3 coming to you. I went with a HF 2-ton engine hoist. It made short work of moving all my machinery (X3, ZAY7045, 8x14 lathe)off pallet and onto work benches. It even helped with the assembly a big 20" production drill press. All by myself, quickly, easily & safely.

Your buddies and cases of beers are more fun for sure but may get costly if you have to do it more than a few times. Might get even more expensive when one of them gets too inebriated, trips over the pallet, and bangs his head on the X3.

Come-alongs (really, an electric winch is better & safer) would be good for moving stuff into basements, otherwise, having to make ramps will be costly and time consuming, just to raise the darn thing off the ground and onto a work bench. A cherry picker can do that in 10mins.

I borrowed an engine hoist from work. That's the only way to go IMO. Up and onto the stand in nothing flat! The little stand that Grizzly recommends is a bit cheesy so I braced it up with some additional flat stock diagonals. Seems pretty rigid now. I can grab the top of the mill and try to turn it over and it just scoots across the floor. That's it's temporary home until I get time to make a really sturdy stand and paint it up nice and purty.

Made a few cuts last night and it's awesome. I milled down the little alignment keys for the bottom slots on the 4" vise and it cuts through steel like butter. I'm really gonna like this puppy. I wish the gears were quieter but it smooths out to a throaty macho whine when cutting.

Right now sieg production have been increase from 150pcs month to 300pcs month for all range machines.factroy busy.
    we are them No.1 domestic customer,also most of us order to USA market either.hehe,we can see american people so lucky.

we just have a shipment will be arrive in LA next week, but only 15 machines.SX3,X2.total CNC..

Syil-xushuo
    Syil.com
    Direction,Commitment,Follow through

i wouldnt sit on that flimsy little stand, much less put that much $$ on top of it!!! I do like the cross bracing work that you did tho... thats nice work...
    Grizzly X3, CNC Fusion Ballscrew kit, 3 500oz-in bipolar steppers, 3 203v Gecko's, Linear power supply from Hubbard CNC, Mach 3, BOBcad Pro Art V22, Rhino.

Make a shelf out of 3/4" MDF or plywood to fit on top of the lower cross braces. It'll be usefull and will help to lower the CG, especially if you put something heavy there like a big machine vise.

UPS Freight brought the Griz to my plant today. Of course there were 4 holes from the fork lift, but no damage. I also got the 5" vise, and a butt load of other tooling and clamping stuff from J&L. It's coming home tomorrow, and then it's going to have a temporary home on the work bench. I have no idea what I am going to do first. Probably rebuild a cooler scooter.

Got the Bear uncrated, loaded into my suburban, and somehow got it onto its temp home on my work station. Got the cosmoline off, man that stuff makes a mess. I ordered a cnc fusion kit, and it should be here next week hopefully. Cut some chips today. I will post pictures later.

You may want to take some time with a file and deburr a few edges. Look on the back of the column (the metal cover needs to be removed to see this). That edge had a huge burr on mine, I got pretty cut up on it while cleaning out the grease. Also the table had some burrs on the edges, long continuous burrs.