584,808 active members*
5,060 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Touch probe for older model machines

Touch probe for older model machines

Is there a touch probe system out there for older machines? I have '97 and '98 model year mills i would like to add a touch probe to for setting work offsets. Then theres the problem of macros for the older machines to handle a touch probe. Dont know about that either.

We currently run a lot of parts that we need to bore holes out on castings. There are two or three holes per part that must be indicated in manually to find center for work offsets before machining. It takes to much time and even the best operator can miss center by a tad after a long hard day. And scrapping one part due to operator error costs $1500 and up.

Re: Touch probe for older model machines

I looked into it for our 1999 machine, the HFO said Marposs has a mill probe that would work, but the machine would need to have macros enabled. I never followed through with it though, figured it was too expensive *with* the macro option and all...

At most you need a skip signal input, an on-off type m-code, and custom macro. If you get one of the older Renishaws that spin-on and spin-off you won't even need the m-codes.

Your dealer should be able to set you up with what you need.

Marposs or Renishaw (I prefer Renishaw myself) will both work, but your machine will definitely need some interface devices; one for the spindle probe and another if you want the tool setter also. The interface will tie into the skip signal as well as provide a signal to start/stop your spindle probe of choice. It will not be cheap, but if you have a need and if you can save parts then the cost can be justified.

Integrating into an older machine will mean you will not have the convenient interface menus like what you see on the newer machines with either Visual Quick Code Probing or Intuitive Probing, but you will certainly be able to use the same Renishaw macro commands that will enable you to do all of the same routines. With a little bit of practice, it will become second nature no different than basic g-code.

If you move forward on this and use your dealer to do the install, insist on someone who knows what they are doing to help you install things. It is not plug and play like newer machines and will require custom wiring to integrate into your machine cabinet.

Good luck and be sure to update this thread with what you decide to do.

My machines are dual pallet HS-1RP models so the macro option is already installed. The program that controls the pallet indexing is a macro program. So that would have been the biggest hurdle. I did some experimenting with the macro codes and it didnt take long to figure out how to set work coordinates from macro codes. The machines do have the skip signal input. I was able to short the pins together on the skip signal input plug at the IO/PC board then simulate having a touch probe by removing the jumper while the machine is doing a probe test to act as a skip signal. It worked like a charm.

So the only thing i need now is to find a skip signal probe and wire it in.

Ok. Got a cheap skip signal probe for $200 on Fleabay. Wired it in and ran the probe program and whoala it worked great. The probe isnt exactly the quality of my CMM machine per say but for probing the bores of castings it is more than accurate enough. Everything seems to work fine except my macro program has a bug somewhere, buts thats a seperate issue i will find some help to resolve.