585,987 active members*
4,372 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

MACH 3 SPINDLE SPEED CONTROL

Hi-
    I'm testing the Ethernet Smooth stepper on my machine. Everything is working fine except the spindle speed control. ESS does not seem to recognize the spindle sensors and overruns the speed.

EXAMPLE- Using my old parallel port connection and giving an M3S500 command, the spindle will run up to about 750 rpm, then settle back down to 500.
    Using the ESS, the spindle runs up to 750 and stays there.
    I have spent a couple days going through all sorts of variations of settings in Mach 3 and the ESS plugin configuration without success. I have even changed Ethernet cables and ribbon cables.
    I have pretty much concluded that the ESS is not reading the spindle sensor signal for some reason and was hoping some one out there had figured this problem out already.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: MACH 3 SPINDLE SPEED CONTROL

I had a similar situation with my new ESS. After inserting the ESS, everything worked as before except my Probe input, Yesterday, I tracked it down to a problem on the ESS board. The ferrite chip on that input is defective! Can you try another input; or, swap the tach with another to check?

Red.