584,854 active members*
4,254 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Bobcad version for 4th axis true 4th axis machining?
Page 1 of 2 12

Bobcad version for 4th axis true 4th axis machining?

I am considering giving Bobcad a try for true 4th axis continuous cutting. What version are you using that works real good? I have v23 do not use it anymore for simple reasons it does not do what I want.

Re: Bobcad version for 4th axis true 4th axis machining?

I'm using V27 4th Axis Standard which for what I what to do for the time being works well.

V27 has a spiral path that really gave it much more what I was looking for.

I have not upgraded to V28 and in five day trial I was not able to try it out so I can't say, but from what I see it looks to be the same.. Maybe someone else can have some input on how well it is working in 4th Axis Standard

Bobcad 4 axis Standard works well. I use it for most of my Jobs.
    Here is a 4 axis Part I made a while back with V25 or 26.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlyLL3ahdL4

I have an extra License for sale if you want to buy.

I also have training Videos to go along with it. I will beat your re-sellers price.

Thats not the tool path I am looking for. I need a continuous path where the 4th axis continues to turn and the bit works its way towards the 4th axis in x direction until finished.

This is in V25 Forth axis standard V26 has spiral also My V27 does the same V27 has a lot of added features that I really like. I don't know if you can demo any of them to see the difference. the only one that may be available to demo might be V28.

Looks like that will do but can it do a clean finish path say .0025 stepover in that same type of path? Thosepictures were not very clear Iis why I ask looks like there was a stepover box just want to be 100% sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tormachmaster View Post
    Looks like that will do but can it do a clean finish path say .0025 stepover in that same type of path? Thosepictures were not very clear Iis why I ask looks like there was a stepover box just want to be 100% sure.
    It might be the best if you demo V28 to make your own determination if it will be what you need. all will be licensed for 5 days from what I remember.

Yes there is a step over parameter setting.

One thing that gives me a problem is if I want to do many cuts in the depth, it can be limited, and may have to make multiple setups.

If you go to After dark videos on youtube Al did some good vids on 4th axis

I had to do some different setting to get everything to work with large spiral paths . took some patients but finally got it to work. one of the setting was in the A axis limits from what I can remember because of a continuous path had to increase a lot.

Hope some of this info may help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails settings.JPG  

Yes good info if they do good on price like in the past I may go this route. Thank you for the info.

From what you are describing, you are not using true 4 axis machining. Your strategy is properly called 3 plus1. 3 plus 1 is in 4axis standard. Sometimes Bob puts intricate 3 axis stragaties into 4 axis pro because,,, well they can.

Yes good info if they do good on price like in the past I may go this route. Thank you for the info.
    Bobcads 4axis rotary path IS a true 4th. You have an option to set the location of the rotational axis which can then have all 4 axis involved simultaneously. A, x z AND y....

a limitation in the past is it is a "finish" strategy. It has a step down option, but it morphs the surface all the way out in its steps. This can quickly overun a z axis in a 4th setup and also "cut air". So as a finish only, you have to create the rough ops to clear material. We've made 5 imdexed advanced roughs to do this. The 4th rotary path can be a spiral, single continuous path at whatever stepover, or a regular stepping raster.

with that said, i havent used the v28 version yet. Maybe they added a "trim to stock" or something to this strategy to allow it to rough also. I dont know. Its a very good finish strategy though.

I don't maybe know if this is True Forth Axis or not but HEY, what ever works Works for me

I think one thing to think about is that spiral is a side step over path and that on any steep walls there can be cutter shank gouging or collision. Straight vertical wall can be a real PITA and can require multiple setups from what I have found but are manageable.

In fig 1 note wall scallop is wider than on the flatter areas that is the drawback with the spiral path in my opinion.

I have found that on sloped walls a couple of setups as per example seem to work ok.

I think the wish list for a feature in forth axis would be like an Equildist Offset path, that way the step would be calked off of the surface and not a side step.

As in fig3 the wall slope was cut from top outside in first buy using (Along Rotary Axis) parameters with a tighter side step parameter which helps cutter scallop in that area. (the Along Rotary Axis settings are really useful to control on what direction the cut will be (Outside to center or Center to outside))

Remember these are only my thoughts and may not be right but it works for me.. so far

Thats not the tool path I am looking for. I need a continuous path where the 4th axis continues to turn and the bit works its way towards the 4th axis in x direction until finished.

That's exactly what this tool path is doing.

Z0.A0.
    Z-.25
    G1X10.A50.F50.*****this is where they move as you want.
    G0Z.2
    X0.A0.

This is exactly what it is doing here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlyLL3ahdL4

G0X0.Y0.Z0.
    Z-.25
    G1X10.A50.F60.
    G0Z.2
    A0.X0.

Yeah I just tried v28 demo it produced the path I need now to deal with them is another fun subject. This alone may keep me staying at work late

I've made circular cams and done engraving on tubes and so on with V23 and the 4th-axis-wrap function. What does that not do that you need?

Yeah I have v23 pro it does not do the tool paths needed. I have used the wrap feature for 4th axis work. I may just have to talk to my it guys at work into getting me a laptop I can bring home to simply program at home when needed. Bobcad is getting a bit expensive for what they have to offer.

Tormachmaster,

Why do you feel BobCAD is getting a bit expensive?
    Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

It is the same software just a little pinch better each year and has many years to go to being what they are asking price wise.

Page 1 of 2 12