585,969 active members*
4,513 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

complete newb here

Hey CNC heads

I am about to order a 24X48 unit from CNCRP but have a few questions so I ma looking for advice. First what I plan on using this CNC for is mostly small 1/4 acrylic cutting and engraving, secondly will be the occasional aluminum cutting.

What I know is I want to start with a 24X48 machine due to limited space and I plan on using the limit switches.

What I need help with is
    Standard VS. PRO
    plug and play or diy electronics package
    NEMA 23 or NEMA 34

Also is there any real money savings with just ordering the hardware kit? If you decide to be nice enough to leave a reply to my questions above, could you also tell me why I want the items you selected over the other?

Re: complete newb here

You mentioned aluminum, which is a harder material to cut. For that reason I'd suggest the Pro machine with the more powerful NEMA34. Regarding DIY or Plug and Play electronics, that is a personal decision. I decided to let them build it for me so I could focus on the rest of the machine. But you'd certainly know all about your machine if you built the electronics too. But for me, the extra cost was worth having a complete and tested electronics system.

Dgage

With me only cutting aluminum once or twice a year could I not slow down the feed rates to accomplish the cutting instead of spending the extra cash on a pro model?

No; with a less rigid machine you'll just make bad cuts more slowly.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

I went pro - IMO it's a better design. Ahren configured a special 2448 for me with the gantry being the 24. I don't think I would have had any trouble cutting Aluminum with a 48 in gantry at the conservative feeds/speeds, DOCs I use, but I went 24 just for the extra rigidity. I also have a CNC mill, so I only machine Aluminum on the router when the work requires a tiny cutter running at high speed which my mill won't do. I should add that I am a hobbyist and not producing work for pay.

I went P&P to save time. and haven't regretted it. CNCRP changed their Nema23 P&P electronics just after I got mine and went to a bigger case with room for a 5'th axis. To be fair Ahren told me it was coming and I didn't want to wait.

I went Nema 23, but 34 will give you more speed if you need it. I'm not in a hurry

I cut wood. plastic and on occasion some Aluminum and have not had any difficulty

If there's anything you want to know about CNCRP machines, just call them. You'll be hard put to find a better bunch to deal with.

I have had both PRO and Standard. I don't regret either but the pro is on a completely different level. I don't believe you will really save any money buying your pieces elsewhere. I did buy my extrusions separately because I wanted a 6 foot wide by 10.5 foot machine for some special setups down the road. After you include shipping and everything else you won't really save much money. On electronics I've been using the same g540 for 6 or 7 years now and for the past 2 years have been using counterparts motors with it. No problems there. I am upgrading to cncrouterparts nema 34 4 axis P&P kit this week since I need more cutting speed. For your needs I really don't see you needing anything beyond nema 23. Only go Nema 34 if you plan to give it the driver$ and power ($) they need. So many people get nema 34 motors and never use their performance because they match it with more affordable nema 23 power supplies and drivers.

i own the PRO4848 and am very happy with it. i'm no engineer, and my CNC experience in limited, but to me the the pro design is far superior to the standard design. i feel the standard design just begs for dust to get under the bearings and decrease accuracy.

i debated getting the P&P or building my own but i decided i would rather be cutting parts then soldering and trouble shooting, the more they assembled for me, the faster i could get to the fun part. but some people enjoy electronics and troubleshooting a lot more than me, so as others have said, its a personal choice. i assume you could save some money, but not a huge amount.

as for the motors, i think for plastic/wood the nema23 are plenty, for aluminum maybe you need 34's. if i recall correctly the price with motors and controls came out to $1000-$1500 for the upgrade and i decided it wasn't worth it for more speed. i have not been disappointed by my machine.