585,602 active members*
3,659 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > VFD Configuration With Huanyang VFD [ Model: HY02D223B ], C10, C6, Mach3

VFD Configuration With Huanyang VFD [ Model: HY02D223B ], C10, C6, Mach3

Hello All;

I’m stumped, and would sure appreciate it if one of you would review the information below and tell me what bonehead thing I have done or neglected to do to get my DIY CNC Router running.

The only problem I am having, is the configuration of the spindle;

M3 and M5 commands in Mach3 do turn the spindle On and Off as they should.
    “S” commands in Mach3 do adjust the spindle speed. ( Not Properly ).
    The problem;

7200 RPM is as slow as the spindle will run regardless of “S” value commanded. The Chart below shows the actual results that I am seeing from various “S” commands.
    From the results, I surmise that the C10 and C6 boards are wired correctly, as well as operating correctly and that Mach3 is configured and working correctly. My thinking is that I have missed something in the parameter settings of the VFD, but four weeks of head scratching and trying different things has not helped me solve the problem.

Software:
    Windows XP Professional
    Mach 3 Ver. 2

Hardware:
    CNC4PC C10 Breakout Board
    CNC4PC C6 Spindle Speed Control Board
    Huanyang VFD [ Model: HY02D223B ]
    2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle

Electrical Connections:

C10 Breakout Board to C6 Spindle Speed Control Board

C10 Board Pin 1 to C6 Board EN CCW Relay 1
    C10 Board GND to C6 GND at inputs
    C10 Board Pin 14 to C6 Step at inputs
    C10 Board Pin 16 to C6 DIR CW Relay 2

C6 Spindle Speed Control Board to VFD

C6 Board Output 0-10 v to VI on VFD
    C6 Board Output GND to ACM on VFD
    C6 Board EN / CCW1 / NO to FOR on VFD
    C6 Board DRV / CCW1 / NO to REV on VFD
    C6 Board V_IN1 to DCM on VFD
    C6 Board V_IN2 to DCM on VFD
    VFD Parameter Settings:

Pd000 = 0
    Pd001 = 1
    Pd002 = 1
    Pd003 = 400
    Pd004 = 400
    Pd005 = 400
    Pd006 = 2.5
    Pd007 = 20
    Pd008 = 220
    Pd009 = 15
    Pd010 = 8
    Pd011 = 120
    Pd014 = 12
    Pd015 = 15
    Pd070 = 0
    Pd072 = 400
    Pd073 = 120
    Pd141 = 220
    Pd142 = 9
    Pd143 = 2
    Pd144 = 3000

Please See Attachments Below

Thank You In Advance For Your Help,
    John

Re: VFD Configuration With Huanyang VFD [ Model: HY02D223B ], C10, C6, Mach3

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Hello All;

I’m stumped, and would sure appreciate it if one of you would review the information below and tell me what bonehead thing I have done or neglected to do to get my DIY CNC Router running.

The only problem I am having, is the configuration of the spindle;

M3 and M5 commands in Mach3 do turn the spindle On and Off as they should.
    “S” commands in Mach3 do adjust the spindle speed. ( Not Properly ).
    The problem;

7200 RPM is as slow as the spindle will run regardless of “S” value commanded. The Chart below shows the actual results that I am seeing from various “S” commands.
    From the results, I surmise that the C10 and C6 boards are wired correctly, as well as operating correctly and that Mach3 is configured and working correctly. My thinking is that I have missed something in the parameter settings of the VFD, but four weeks of head scratching and trying different things has not helped me solve the problem.

Software:
    Windows XP Professional
    Mach 3 Ver. 2

Hardware:
    CNC4PC C10 Breakout Board
    CNC4PC C6 Spindle Speed Control Board

Electrical Connections:

C10 Breakout Board to C6 Spindle Speed Control Board

C10 Board Pin 1 to C6 Board EN CCW Relay 1
    C10 Board GND to C6 GND at inputs
    C10 Board Pin 14 to C6 Step at inputs
    C10 Board Pin 16 to C6 DIR CW Relay 2

C6 Spindle Speed Control Board to VFD

C6 Board Output 0-10 v to VI on VFD
    C6 Board Output GND to ACM on VFD
    C6 Board EN / CCW1 / NO to FOR on VFD
    C6 Board DRV / CCW1 / NO to REV on VFD
    C6 Board V_IN1 to DCM on VFD
    C6 Board V_IN2 to DCM on VFD
    VFD Parameter Settings:

Pd000 = 0
    Pd001 = 1
    Pd002 = 1
    Pd003 = 400
    Pd004 = 400
    Pd005 = 400
    Pd006 = 2.5
    Pd007 = 20
    Pd008 = 220
    Pd009 = 15
    Pd010 = 8
    Pd011 = 120
    Pd014 = 12
    Pd015 = 15
    Pd070 = 0
    Pd072 = 400
    Pd073 = 120
    Pd141 = 220
    Pd142 = 9
    Pd143 = 2
    Pd144 = 3000

Please See Attachments Below

Thank You In Advance For Your Help,
    John
    The slowest your spindle can run is 6,000 RPM if you have a good VFD, ( which you don't ) PD11=100 & PD073=100, this will get you to the minimum speed your spindle can run, if you start having trouble with the VFD then put it back to 120, these VFD Drives are a little wimpy, so I recommend them being at 120

PD11 & 73 is your minimum speed setting
    Mactec54

Thanks, I appreciate your help

John

Hello dear friend I'm also having the same problem. The speed at the spindle speed on the mach3 is different from the inverter disply. Can you solve the problem? Sincerely, Lidio

I've seen many post where PD006 (Intermediate frequency) is a value less than PD007 (Min. Frequency). Why is that correct? Relative to the v/f charts shouldn't Intermediate frequency be greater than min frequency?

Quote Originally Posted by drygui49 View Post
    I've seen many post where PD006 (Intermediate frequency) is a value less than PD007 (Min. Frequency). Why is that correct? Relative to the v/f charts shouldn't Intermediate frequency be greater than min frequency?
    Only if it is being used, this has to be a calculated number, with the V/F ratio, it is fine for it not to be set. there can be some advantages for it to be set though, that can help the mid range performance if you run in that RPM range.
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by bneto View Post
    Hello dear friend I'm also having the same problem. The speed at the spindle speed on the mach3 is different from the inverter disply. Can you solve the problem? Sincerely, Lidio
    There are many things in Mach3 that have to be set correct to match the VFD Drive RPM, your 0-10v is a good place to start.
    Mactec54

I have a pretty similar combination. Running on domestic single phase 220V supply.

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    The slowest your spindle can run is 6,000 RPM if you have a good VFD, ( which you don't ) PD11=100 & PD073=100, this will get you to the minimum speed your spindle can run, if you start having trouble with the VFD then put it back to 120, these VFD Drives are a little wimpy, so I recommend them being at 120

PD11 & 73 is your minimum speed setting
    Where does that 6000 rpm come from, experience or spec ? I got a fairly complete manual with the VFD but NOTHING with spindle.

With hindsight I realise I did not research this properly. I did some chip load calculations to get HP and 2.2kW seemed good. I bought a spindle / VFD bundle so assumed the supplier had matched them correctly.

I can cut ali at quite good rates: 2mm cut , 3mm deep at 3mm/s , that is limited by machine rigidity more than anything else. Some times tools bog up if I don't baby sit the machine , prevent chip build up and squirt it once in a while.

However, when I'm drilling at slower rmp the spindle often stalls. I'm OK at 4mm or 5mm but above that when rpm comes down it stalls at the slightest snag. That usually gets messy unless I get to the E-button quickly. ( Which is a pain to reset work afterwards ).

From what I've been reading here on CNCZone, it seems it is the spindle which is weak, not the VFD.

There's a metric ton of parameters on these VFDs, so maybe I'm not set up optimally to get best torque at low speeds. I have not changed defaults for PD11,73 but it seems this is a kind of override to prevent the control voltage setting some speed known not to work. I need to determine the best set up before doing that.

At the moment the best I can do is use the CNC to to drill accurately placed pilot holes, then pull the work of and drill larger diameters by hand drill or pillar drill. This is crazy because I probably only have 800W motors on those drills but get loads more torque for drilling.

I chose a 24000 rpm spindle which I don't really need that often since I don't do much wood or really small diameter work. I guess on the odd occasion, it becomes essential so probably was not a stupid mistake.

Is this asking too much from one spindle or can this be set up better ?

TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by reg.miller View Post
    I have a pretty similar combination. Running on domestic single phase 220V supply.

Where does that 6000 rpm come from, experience or spec ? I got a fairly complete manual with the VFD but NOTHING with spindle.

With hindsight I realise I did not research this properly. I did some chip load calculations to get HP and 2.2kW seemed good. I bought a spindle / VFD bundle so assumed the supplier had matched them correctly.

I can cut ali at quite good rates: 2mm cut , 3mm deep at 3mm/s , that is limited by machine rigidity more than anything else. Some times tools bog up if I don't baby sit the machine , prevent chip build up and squirt it once in a while.

However, when I'm drilling at slower rmp the spindle often stalls. I'm OK at 4mm or 5mm but above that when rpm comes down it stalls at the slightest snag. That usually gets messy unless I get to the E-button quickly. ( Which is a pain to reset work afterwards ).

From what I've been reading here on CNCZone, it seems it is the spindle which is weak, not the VFD.

There's a metric ton of parameters on these VFDs, so maybe I'm not set up optimally to get best torque at low speeds. I have not changed defaults for PD11,73 but it seems this is a kind of override to prevent the control voltage setting some speed known not to work. I need to determine the best set up before doing that.

At the moment the best I can do is use the CNC to to drill accurately placed pilot holes, then pull the work of and drill larger diameters by hand drill or pillar drill. This is crazy because I probably only have 800W motors on those drills but get loads more torque for drilling.

I chose a 24000 rpm spindle which I don't really need that often since I don't do much wood or really small diameter work. I guess on the odd occasion, it becomes essential so probably was not a stupid mistake.

Is this asking too much from one spindle or can this be set up better ?

TIA.
    The spindles max torque is at 24,000 RPM they have a minimum speed of 6000 RPM, water cooled only, even at 6000 RPM they are not suitable for very much, most have their minimum speed parameters set at 120 which is 7200 RPM so if you are trying to use your spindle below these speeds it won't last very long

PD011 and PD073 both need to be set to protect you spindle motor minimum speed

Post what Parameters you have set, normally there is no problem with them drilling holes if you use the right RPM, and the Parameters are set correct.

Stalling quite often end in smoking the spindle and sometimes the VFD Drive if the Parameters have not been set correct.
    Mactec54