584,800 active members*
4,868 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
    s00073055 Guest

Haas VFO Drilling problem

New problem here, a few months ago drilled 2000 2.5mm blind holes in aluminum used 2 drill bits no problems, at same job now and it has taken 6 drill bits (all have broken) to drill 30 holes same material, same tool holder, same program, same feeds and speeds, I have tried spot drilling first no difference I am thinking I have a spindle run out problem any thoughts on this one

Re: Haas VFO Drilling problem

Check the spindle run out. Verify the RPM and Feed. If all of that checks out I would guess you got a bad batch of aluminum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by s00073055 View Post
    New problem here, a few months ago drilled 2000 2.5mm blind holes in aluminum used 2 drill bits no problems, at same job now and it has taken 6 drill bits (all have broken) to drill 30 holes same material, same tool holder, same program, same feeds and speeds, I have tried spot drilling first no difference I am thinking I have a spindle run out problem any thoughts on this one
    It's easy to check the spindle runout, I doubt that it changed that quick though, check your holder runout as well, how do you have you drill cycle programed, this most likely where the problem is, you should always spot drill the holes first, unless you have Drills that are ground so you don't need to use a spot drill
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by newman55598 View Post
    Check the spindle run out. Verify the RPM and Feed. If all of that checks out I would guess you got a bad batch of aluminum.
    There's no such thing as a bad batch of aluminum, it's knowing how to work with the material you have, no matter what grade or where/how it was manufactured
    Mactec54

I would disagree if I buy one type of material and all of a sudden it's not cutting the same and everything checks out on the machining side that only leaves the material that could have changed. Therefore it makes it a bad batch compared to what I have been acquiring. With that said its obvious that something is different between the 2.

s00073055 Guest

Thanks guys I think it is run out if I put the shank of the 2.5mm drill into the holes on the new part it is very slightly loose when I put the same drill in one of the holes of the parts from the old batch it seems to be a tighter fit. I am using a bt40 drill chuck which worked perfect last time I changed to a 2.5mm er32 collet chuck and the bit broke right away so went back to the drill chuck what do I need to check run out.

Put an indicator with a magnetic base on your table. Put the tip against the smooth shank of the drill bit and slowly rotate (by hand)

When you post a problem like this one you really should give the hole depth, spindle speed, drilling cycle, feed rate and peck rate so that it can be logically discussed.

Also, if your hole is oversize it is probably not from run out, more likely too much pressure that is causing your drill to bend slightly and drill a slightly larger hole.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

s00073055 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Machineit View Post
    When you post a problem like this one you really should give the hole depth, spindle speed, drilling cycle, feed rate and peck rate so that it can be logically discussed.

Also, if your hole is oversize it is probably not from run out, more likely too much pressure that is causing your drill to bend slightly and drill a slightly larger hole.

Mike
    The first line of your response is irrelevant as the program which worked perfectly before has not changed and dose not need to be touched.

The second line of your response relates to some possible change to feed rate which also has not changed since the last job. Thank all the same for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by s00073055 View Post
    The first line of your response is irrelevant as the program which worked perfectly before has not changed and dose not need to be touched.

The second line of your response relates to some possible change to feed rate which also has not changed since the last job. Thank all the same for your input.
    Wow, thanks for the respect! Happy St. Pats Day.
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Hi, I bought a milling machine like your milling machine. Unfortunately, the parameters and all settings have been deleted. It does not run programs. If your machine model is vf-0. Please send me the general parameters and settings of the milling machine so that my machine can work again. Let me start, thanks, dear colleague [1993] vf-0