585,973 active members*
4,138 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > GibbsCAM > Can't get canned lathe roughing cycle to work

Can't get canned lathe roughing cycle to work

First time user so this is probably something simple I'm missing. I imported a .step solid and created a roughing op. If I select "material only" rough style then the tool path is created ok, but I want to use the G71 canned cycle so I tried switching to "Full" rough style, and when I do this the tool path no longer generates. It just runs on the face of the part. What am I missing? Also, in the "material only" path, when the tool steps down to the next diameter it doesn't come far enough off the end of the part and plunges into the end of it, even though I think I've set enough clearance in Z. What is causing this? Thanks!

Here is the "material only" option:

and "Full" option:

Re: Can't get canned lathe roughing cycle to work

attach the VNC file itself so we can have a look..

Must check the check box that says prefered canned.

Looks like I got the canned cycle part to work but the issue I'm still having is the tool doesn't clear the face of the part in Z when stepping down to the next diameter (for the rough turn op and the boring op after drilling). I was told I need to create a line to +Z to fool it into going further, but I'm not quite sure how to do this. I extracted geometry from the solid and tried connecting lines to it but it seems like it just makes an open loop and I can't pick it for my tool path. Here is the file if you could check it out:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9vpngpgr06...epart.vnc?dl=0

if you want to go below the X0.0 you have to enable the button X- under cutting direction axis..
    without it the tool path will only work on the + (plus side of the axis)

Have you tried checking "Use auto clearance" when you cut with "Material only" enabled? Material only literally means that when the machine is in a G01/G02/G03 it will be cutting any material left on the stock from prior operations and wont have a clearance factor unless you manually put it in or you get it to use the clearance you set with auto clearance.

Also, you are using the Turn OD option which means the CAM wont know how far the machine will be cutting in the Z axis unless you tell it. Your better option is to extract geometry and use a Full cut, give it a cut depth and figure out your DOC. That way you can give a more accurate depiction of a cut by making it follow geometry.