585,743 active members*
5,130 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

1998 Kira Vtc 30e with Fanuc 21m

Hello,
    I turn this mill on :
    The crt displays what looks like Japanese words, not sure text looks like corrupt Japanese text to be honest. So I figured it lost its memory due to a low battery. I continue to try the normal operations as if it still displayed English by pushing the ready green button . The ready button will not light up nor will it energize the drives . So I go to the back of the machine to see what alarms are displayed . The 4th drive to the right which I think is the actual 21m controller has an alarm. There is no 7 segment display just 4 green lights labeled status and three red lights labeled alarm . The status has the 2nd green light lit and the alarm light are lit up on the first and second . Just wondering if any one has experienced this problem or something similar . I have 7 mori seiki lathes and in years past we would lose our parameters due to the Plc battery going dead , but I had the parameters backed up and reloaded them . I'm just not familiar with a fanuc controller to know what's going on here . We purchased 3 of these Kira's knowing that they might have problems. Only this one had a problem . Any advise would be appreciated.
    Thanks for your time,
    Joe

Re: 1998 Kira Vtc 30e with Fanuc 21m

Those lights to indeed mean a RAM parity. Your memory is corrupted. Clear and reload memory.

Quote Originally Posted by STLMachinist View Post
    Those lights to indeed mean a RAM parity. Your memory is corrupted. Clear and reload memory.
    Thanks for the input,
    I don't have a procedure but if I clear the memory will it default to a generic stable control?
    Where I can then either hand type the parameters or use rs232 after I setup the com settings.
    Also do I clear it from the trim pot on the drive or from startup from the control?

Thanks for your help,
    Joe

Clearing memory will delete CNC parameters, offsets, macro variables, programs, pitch error(if installed), and PMC parameters. Hold down Reset+Delete on startup will clear these. Then, yes, after you can hand type or put in RS-232. The 9900 parameters are you option parameters, these will need to hand typed in first, then com setting in order for RS-232 to work.
    Only CNC and PMC parameters are required to have a functional control. Make sure you have both before clearing. (PMC parameters being Keep Relays, Data Tables, Counters, Timers)

STLMachinist,

I will try that procedure tonight, I appreciate your responses. I will let you know how I made out.
    Thanks again,
    Joe