585,996 active members*
4,522 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

non-Tormach Touchscreen with PathPilot

So, I went out and bought an Asus VT207N touchscreen and (foolishly) thought I could just plug her in and make some magic. That doesn't seem to be the case. The display functions well enough, but there is no response from the touchscreen. When I boot into the motherboard bios, touch seems to work fine.

I'm hoping someone here has some experience with this. Any advice? :cheers:

Re: non-Tormach Touchscreen with PathPilot

IIRC there are some threads in here on making them work. Depending on the screen and linux driver availability and so on varies the amount of trouble it takes.

You'll want to get into Linux and see if the screen works there. If so it might just be an ADMIN TOUCHSCREEN in PP away from working and not a driver install thing (maybe try ADMIN TOUCHSCREEN in the MDI box first, its fast to try). If Linux isn't natively supported, you can google around for instructions on making that screen work in Ubuntu most likely.

Quick update:

The linux kernel that PathPilot is built on does not support MultiTouch monitors (at least as far as I can tell). I got seriously into the weeds trying to update the real time kernel and gave up. It clearly requires a more delicate touch than pounding my two meathook hands into the keyboard.

So the question then is, what is the make and model of the touchscreen that Tormach sells?

Monoprice. It's clearly visible in the video below. :devious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOrGJ3vGGWs

15" $170

17" $195

19" $245

Nice 4:3 aspect ratio too.

LCD Touch Screen Monitor - Monoprice.com

After the comments here, I ordered a Monoprice touch monitor (Monoprice 106959 17-Inch Screen LCD Monitor: Amazon.ca: Computers & Tablets ) from Amazon.ca for ca$299 (about us$215) including shipping. The monitor arrived today and it was simply a matter of connecting it and entering the "ADMIN TOUCHSCREEN" command to calibrate. Works great!

Note that this monitor has a VESA mount with 75mm hole spacing so I had to modify my monitor arm to suit.

I installed PathPilot last night and it worked well with my Viewsonic touch screen monitor. This monitor is a little different, it has a USB plug (in addition to the video plug) that returns signal to the computer exactly like a mouse would - so no special drivers needed, nor any PathPilot "ADMIN TOUCHSCREEN" commands. As far as my computer is concerned I have two mouses (or would that be mice? - lol).

Not sure if they still make monitors that do this, but if you can find a touchscreen that uses a seperate USB mouse input to the computer you will be in business. BTW - I purposely bought this monitor that way a couple of years ago so I could get touchscreen to work while using Mach 3 on Windows XP - with no additional drivers.

Just to be clear, the Monoprice monitor that I purchased must be plugged into a USB port just like your Viewsonic and no special drivers are required with PathPilot.

Many industrial touch monitors have USB mouse-emulation mode (as opposed to consumer-aimed monitors for things like Windows, which mostly do not-- easy way to check is to look for a 'Designed for Windows logo').

Mouse emulation is fine for PP although often calibration is via a separate utility or menu.

Just FYI, I tried an HID compliant (which is what Tormach says Path Pilot can only use) to replace my Asus that the OP has/had and it still doesn't work. I got the Planar PCT2235 HID compliant. I was able to at least get to the calibration screen but it did not respond to any touch. I tried different cables and different USB ports with the same result. One of the USB ports didn't even let me get to the calibration screen.

Does anyone know for sure another brand that will work with Path Pilot?? I'm just looking for other options (I had a cover made for the Asus and want to reuse. The larger screen is nice too)

Jabs, which model Viewsonic do you have?

I purchased https://www.amazon.ca/Monoprice-1069.../dp/B004C4WTJA and it works perfectly with no special configuration for PP. They appear to have raised the price; I got mine last December for cdn$229.88 including shipping. Note that the link is to the Canadian Amazon site!

non-Tormach Touchscreen with PathPilot

Thanks kstrauss, if I can't get mine to work or find a bigger screen. I know where to find one that for sure is compatible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sareks2k View Post
    Thanks kstrauss, if I can't get mine to work or find a bigger screen. I know where to find one that for sure is compatible.

Try looking around for instructions on using your monitor in Ubuntu. If it can be made to work there, it'll work in PP.

Ok thanks shred!

Anyone find any different or cheaper touchscreen monitors that work with path pilot? Does anyone know what to look for in a monitor that will work, anything that makes it more likely to work with PP?

Quote Originally Posted by tbev View Post
    Anyone find any different or cheaper touchscreen monitors that work with path pilot? Does anyone know what to look for in a monitor that will work, anything that makes it more likely to work with PP?
    I use a 3M Microtouch industrial touch monitor. It took quite a bit of tweaking in Ubuntu to make it work, but it works very well and being designed for that sort of thing, works well even with wet hands and grime on the screen.

IIRC the Tormach monitor touch technology is resistive-touch which is fairly low cost and also more resistant to shop environments than consumer phone-like capacitive-touch screens.

What to look for is a bit tricky-- what you want is working by default in Ubuntu Linux, but few put that on the spec sheets. If you can get USB mouse emulation, that will do for PP although single-touch USB HID might work somewhat better. There's no multi-touch or gestures or anything going on with PP so none of that is needed.

If you want to mount it to the Tormach keyboard & monitor arm, it wants a VESA-mount screw pattern on the back. Most monitors have this where the stand bolts on but I've seen some PC monitors that don't.

We should talk! I have a 3M Microtouch sitting under the bench. It worked perfectly with Mach3 but I never got it to work with PP. I eventually gave up and ordered the Tormach standard Monoprice 106959 from Amazon. It worked as soon as plugged in.

Note that there are several sizes of VESA mounts. I had to make an adapter to attach the VESA mount Tormach monitor in place of the VESA mount 3M for which my mount was originally designed.

What are VESA Mount Standards?
    VESA has developed a set of standards for the manufacturing of flat screen televisions and PC monitors. Most manufacturers comply with this standard by adhering to an industry wide hole pattern on the back of their displays for mounting purposes. A typical VESA hole pattern for flat panel displays can be one of the following sizes:

75 mm x 75 mm (75 mm = 2.95 inches)
    100 mm x 100 mm (100mm = 3.94 inches)
    200 mm x 200 mm (200 mm = 7.87 inches)
    400 mm x 400 mm (400 mm = 15.7 inches)

Thanks guys, I'm gonna mount it to an arm, thanks for the measurements as well, looks like I'll be making an adapter too.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk