584,837 active members*
5,061 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > CNC with automatic sliding door Motor - suggestions welcome

CNC with automatic sliding door Motor - suggestions welcome

Hello fellas. I am interrior design/industrial design student from turkey.(almost graduate, im in my last semester.)

1 year ago i decided to build my own cnc machine and till today i constantly searched how it's made.(at my free time) i learned arduino a bit. investigated cnc types, base and electronic parts etc.
    -------------

I'm short for budget(about 700-800$) so, i will built my own cnc instead of buying kits. Didn't design the machine yet.(i will post wip here in distant future)

-------------

planning to build base from plywood. ( i will design it in solidworks. i have access basic woodworking machine tools like drill, tablesaw, handsaw etc. but probably will cut the parts in a local furniture firm's cnc machine. dont have access metalwork machine so machining parts from aluminum not an option. and fabricated aluminum profiles also not an option because dollar have higher value than turkish lira. they are too pricy.)

im thinking the design will be more like buildyourcnc's greenbull machine. > https://buildyourcnc.com/Item/cnc-ma...reenBull-v4-5X
    atleast i will be need 2500mmx1250mm active working space. since i wanna build furniture prototypes, i think that will be enough for cutting plywood, mdf etc. and also im gonna make product prototypes from this machine so i will cut plexy styrofoam and ocassionaly aluminum.

since this will be my first machine not need extreme tolerances. (everybody says start with a small machine but i dont wanna)

------------------------
    till last week i was thinking to buy chineese electronic kits longs motor or wantai etc. nema 23 425oz 3axis kits with drivers here ebay link
    i dont wanna buy tb6560 kits because if one part broken, i have to buy entirely new one. other kits more reasonable cuz if 1 part is broken i can change that for much less price.
    i think they will be enough. i aware of gecko drive kits. but its too pricy for me. if i buy gecko than i dont left much money for cutting machine parts from cnc and other stuff.

----------------------

and last week i salvaged a bit of automatic sliding door parts from construction site i worked. and that got me thinkin if i can work my cnc with them.

all parts that i salvaged are: (photos below)
    -12x U groove wheels with bearings yellow (rolling pretty smooth)

-12x U groove wheels with bearings white (a little sticky but can work)
    -2x pulley belts each 4m long
    -1x pulley gear wheel +2 on motors
    -various metal fixes for wheels

-1x geared 24V DC 70W motor with encoder. whiterose brand (turkish product couldnt find much info on site. i think its single phase bldc motor but im not sure) has 7 wires on it.> // 2 power red and black // 4 encoder: brown, white, green yellow.// 1 is earth.//
    -control box from whiterose motor. i dont think im gonna use that board since its for sliding door purpose, im planning to salvage it's microprocessor for other projects.(arduino related)

-1x geared 80W motor with encoder. dortex brand (idunno voltage, couldnt find info on site i think its 3 phase bldc) has 8 wires on it> //3 power: red, black, white// 5 encoder: yellow, green, purple, brown, orange(pinkish)//
    -dortex one has'nt control box.

here are the photos; couldnt upload the forum some reason.
    Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
    Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

--------------------------------

AND Here My Questions:

1. if i wanna drive whiterose 70w motor can i run that with this driver?
    Brushless Dc Motor Driver BLDC-5015A or any alternative one? i find gecko branded one it matches its pins but its too pricy as i said.
    im asking this because that motor have 2 power cable and the driver has 3 on it's specifications ( dc+,dc- U, V, W) im not sure what are they
    also encoder cables dont match either i have 4 cable on motor (E+,E-,S,S) written on that motors control board pin. but the driver's hall sensor part has 5 pins (Ref-Ref+HF, HW, HU)

im guessing lefting blank each one driver pins like; motor: U pin andhall sensor HU pin might work but i dont know since im not experienced this stuff i might be wrong entirely that dc drive subject either

2. also can i drive other one 80w dortex branded with same Brushless Dc Motor Driver BLDC-5015A?
    this seems more possible because it has 3 power pins on it and matching encoder pins either.

3. if i can drive these motors from any drive, will it enough for any cnc axis?

4.im aware im gonna need atleast 1 more axis motor and controller so are whole thing worth trying? should i give up trying work these sliding dc door motors and just buy 3 axis stepper motor and driver kits?
    right now im convinced myself that i cannot control effectively these dc motors. but if you fellas help me to find a way i can try

5. if sliding doors doesnt work, does 3axis nema 23 428 oz motor enough for 2500mmx1250mm workspace cnc machine? or should i go for nema 34 kits (reminding that i dont need too much precise and speed)

unreleated and other suggestions about design, electronics, material selection production and pro tips are wellcome too, right now im considering everything. :=)
    appreciate any answer.

Re: CNC with automatic sliding door Motor - suggestions welcome

Gearmotors aren't usually recommended for CNC use, since they introduce backlash. You're better off getting a regular servo motor and using sprocketed pulleys and toothed belts to gear them down. But as low as your budget is, they might be your best bet - you'll just have to lower your expectations a little as to precision and the types of materials you can cut.

It's usually best to start by building the frame of your machine, with all the sliding parts, then worry about how you're going to power it once you can tell how much force it takes to get things to move. Those wheels look a bit too flimsy to do you much good, but it's hard to say from the picture. I've seen long belts like those used to drive 3D printers, but not carving machines, but if you've got them you might be able to make them work. You will need to keep doing what you're doing - taking old machines apart you can get cheap or for free - if you want to build a CNC machine for the amount of money you've got to spend.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Gearmotors aren't usually recommended for CNC use, since they introduce backlash. You're better off getting a regular servo motor and using sprocketed pulleys and toothed belts to gear them down. But as low as your budget is, they might be your best bet - you'll just have to lower your expectations a little as to precision and the types of materials you can cut.

It's usually best to start by building the frame of your machine, with all the sliding parts, then worry about how you're going to power it once you can tell how much force it takes to get things to move. Those wheels look a bit too flimsy to do you much good, but it's hard to say from the picture. I've seen long belts like those used to drive 3D printers, but not carving machines, but if you've got them you might be able to make them work. You will need to keep doing what you're doing - taking old machines apart you can get cheap or for free - if you want to build a CNC machine for the amount of money you've got to spend.
    hmm. till now i was imagining to build steps like: obtain or decide all mechanic/electronic parts, than design and build the machine. but you make a good point if i make frame first it might be much sense in this case. or at least i could build a mock up from mdf or something cheap maybe for better end result.
    sprocket with bicycle chain seems nice idea, im not sure i can find them but i will keep in my mind.
    probably belts and wheels will do work pretty good cuz they carry atleast 20-30 kg framed glass doors. im not sure i can salvage more items but i will try. thanks for reply.

I was talking about toothed pulleys, that work with trapezoidal-tooth timing belts. Sprocketed bicycle chain has been used for some CNC machine designs where tolerances aren't important, but they have a lot of slop. But yes; make the table first, as rigid and heavy as you can, then mount your sliding parts to it. I like the plans with raised walls on the sides that attach firmly to the table on which the gantry can roll, rather than the ones with high sides on the gantries themselves; they're a lot more stable. Mechmate is a good example: MechMate CNC Router - Build your own with our detailed plans
    Andrew Werby
    Website

my pulleys already toothed i guess you didnt look close the second picture. or i didnt understand you (my english is not perfect sorry for that.)

http://i.imgur.com/uirLFWX.jpg

thanks again. i will look for that.