585,775 active members*
4,337 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

UCCNC software license

Question about UCCNC software license.

Another popular pc based controller software allows hobby users to install and use the software on as many machines as you like. Comercial users need a license for each machine.

So what is the situation with UCCNC? Being tied to the harware would make me think it might be the same.

Re: UCCNC software license

License per piece of hardware from what I understand
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

The UCCNC controller, Mach3 plugin or the driver identifies the the UC100 or UC300 hardware in conjunction with the license file enables full operation. The software will run in demo mode on any machine but the license follows the hardware. I have been testing with my UC300-5LPT for the last couple of weeks I can move back and forth between my mill CPU and my desktop system by just connecting the board to the CPU I am using at the moment.

The testing is going well, I have Mach3 fully configured and it's running very well. It's really nice to have lots of IO bits with the flexibility to assign them at will. Even managed to get my old wired VistaCnc Imach III pro pendant working. I just finished testing the UCCNC controller application, so far the results are very positive. My testing only turned up a a couple of minor items. There was no support for M00 but Balazs indicated its already been fixed. They also need to add support of spindle pulley ratios or multi speed motors, this is an easy fix and I am sure this will be added soon. Hope to get it on the mill making chips in a couple of weeks.

Craig

So to be clear,

If I buy three UC100s to use with UCCNC software, then I need to buy three UCCNC licenses.

That is my question.

Yes, exactly. The licences are tied to the UC100. If you need 3xUC100 with all controlled by UCCNC then you need to purchase 3 license keys.
    I have 2 of this setup with 2 separate license files.
    The UC100 + UCCNC together are still cheaper than Mach3 license without any hardware though.

Thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    The UC100 + UCCNC together are still cheaper than Mach3 license without any hardware though.
    But I can use Mach3 on as many machines as I want. Four at last count. All running Mach3 via LPT

You can if you are a hobby user, otherwise if you doing commercial jobs the Mach3 EULA says you have to purchase license per machine to legally use them.
    Since you talking about 3 separate machines I guess you are not the hobby guy.

Since you talking about 3 separate machines I guess you are not the hobby guy.
    Ha ha! Your guess would be wrong!

Four actually.

The only CNC machine used for money is the fifth, a laser, and it does not use Mach3

I am retired and building CNC machines is my hobby. Weird hey!

Yeha, 3 machines for hobby?! What does the wife says about that? :cheers:

But I can use Mach3 on as many machines as I want. Four at last count. All running Mach3 via LPT
    Three UCCNC licenses cost about the same as one Mach3 license.

Congratulations on the retirement.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Mach3 has been nothing but a great success for me. Started with it over nine years ago.

What seems like five of those years, Mach4 has been just months away.

Now I have ordered my first UC100 to have a play with. I have no need for the many more inputs that the UC300 has. And initially I can swap the UC100 between machines while I see how it goes.

I am very optimistic.

Yeha, 3 machines for hobby?! What does the wife says about that? :cheers:
    Ha Ha! She just rolls her eyes and says "what am I going to do with all this stuff when you die?"

Quote Originally Posted by Greolt View Post
    Mach3 has been nothing but a great success for me. Started with it over nine years ago.

What seems like five of those years, Mach4 has been just months away.

Now I have ordered my first UC100 to have a play with. I have no need for the many more inputs that the UC300 has. And initially I can swap the UC100 between machines while I see how it goes.

I am very optimistic.
    I was also considering the UC100 but then, after looking at it more closely, I decided for the UC300. I had no immediate needs for the extra inputs/outputs but now that I have them I am going to upgrade my DIY CNC with a better, external controller. I still have many ports free for future expansion, but that's OK. I figured the slight price difference was well worth it. The UC300 works very well, I am very happy with it and I am pretty sure you will also be happy with your UC100. The improvements I experienced were not only regarding the use of USB, but my CNC runs now much smoother and also considerably faster than it ever could with a parallel port. Of course, the ability to use a laptop instead of desktop is also a huge advantage.

Yes I agree. The UC300 is only a bit more expensive and well worth it.

However for my initial purposes the UC100 suits me better.

I can simply use it like a LPT cable. Plug into whatever machine. (I have several)

This way I can see how it goes and maybe if all goes well, everything will later be swapped over to UCCNC

Quote Originally Posted by Greolt View Post
    Yes I agree. The UC300 is only a bit more expensive and well worth it.

However for my initial purposes the UC100 suits me better.

I can simply use it like a LPT cable. Plug into whatever machine. (I have several)

This way I can see how it goes and maybe if all goes well, everything will later be swapped over to UCCNC
    Actually, even the UC300 can be plugged in the same way. All that is missing, compared with the UC100, is a plastic box. If one would wish to use it just as an emulator of parallel port that is no problem at all.