585,763 active members*
4,398 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hypertherm and "Fine Cut" consumables

I recently picked up a set of "Fine Cut" consumables for my PMX380. I haven't used them much and I was wondering if anyone else out here has or is using them regularly. If so, what are your thoughts? are they worth the extra couple bucks? I know they talked about extended life and whatnot, so I wanted to hear from anyone that likes or dislikes them for whatever reasons.

Andrew
    Alliance Metal Art
    Midland, Michigan

Yeah they are the "bees knees". I use them to cut 3mm and 2mm steel with far better results than the 40 amp nozzles on my powermax 1000.

That is about up to 1/8".

Peter
    Australia

I have experience to use the fine cut consumable to cut 1.5mm thick aluminium
    for 4-5 days (8hrs/day). It pierce up to 3000 time before I change the nozzle and electrode. Fine cut's cutting less dross compare to normal nozzle for think plate

Joe

AC Meca

Nice tips, but I am not getting the life that some others are - I cut 14ga, and the life varies considerably. Nice cut though...
    Ric - Boss Frog

Has someone tried cutting in 3/16" mild steel with fine cut ... I have a 1650 Hypertherm and will like to cut some real fine parts. Any one has any ideas?

Talking

I cut 1/4 plate with Fine Cut consumables with my hypertherm 1000 , does a nice job!

Quote Originally Posted by Pure-Powder View Post
    I cut 1/4 plate with Fine Cut consumables with my hypertherm 1000 , does a nice job!
    what kind of settings are you running to cut that? If you don't mind.

ipm 60 , arc current 52 , arc voltage 120

The FineCut consumables do not provide a life advantage over conventional Hypertherm parts....they are designed for finer cut quality on materials typically thinner than 3/16"....although I have heard reports of them being used on much heavier materials. It is important to use a torch height control system if doing mechanized cutting to hold the proper standoff (approx. .100") or to use the CE deflector shield for drag cutting....so the nozzle does not contact the plate.

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by Pure-Powder View Post
    ipm 60 , arc current 52 , arc voltage 120
    Cool Ill have to try it some time incase I have somebody that needs the most prcision I can supply short runs of course.

Keep in mind those settings are with my Table, Plasma Unit , and THC... Your setting may differ... Use only as a guide at best, always do a sample cut on scrap first! Thanks Dennis