585,683 active members*
4,888 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fogbuster Mount

I wasn't happy with the stock Fogbuster mount. There are two main problems. First, the magnet doesn't stick the the Tormach PCNC1100 spindle casting very well. I don't know if it's really thick paint or something with the casting. It sticks fine to other objects like sheet metal or the table. The result is it moves on it's own too easily. The second thing I didn't like is how it's adjusted. It's just not easy to quickly position the fogbuster where I want. I thought some sort of stiff flexible arm would work better. First I tried a Magic Flex Arm used to hold photography lights, but this didn't work too well, the arm is pretty stiff, but it's hard get it to the right position, it moves after you let go. Next I tried 1/4" loc-line and this works pretty well. Even though I like the 1/4" loc-line, I may try using 1/2" loc-line and see if I like that better.

Attachment 300282
    "You can't teach stuff in a school that you would learn in real life unless the real life people are in charge of the school." - Gene Sherman

Re: Fogbuster Mount

Interesting. I just took the little worthless alnico magnet base off and stuck the fogbuster on 2 rare earth magnets on my 770. It works much better now. I think the original base was meant for table mounting or something because, indeed, it moves around a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by pickled View Post
    Interesting. I just took the little worthless alnico magnet base off and stuck the fogbuster on 2 rare earth magnets on my 770. It works much better now. I think the original base was meant for table mounting or something because, indeed, it moves around a lot!
    Magnetic mounts just don't hold. They always move, usually at the wrong time.

There are two screw holes near the spindle, on the bottom of the head on the 1100(4 in all, there are two at the back as well); metric, m5 or m6. They must have some purpose, but I've never seen one documented. Don't know if they're present on the 770 casting; if not, easily remedied.

A piece of suitably machined rectangular bar stock will hold a couple of Noga misters, Fogbusters, or whatever- one on each side. At one point, I had a manifold that ran flood, air, and mist, which was beyond overkill. Took it off when I went to mist/microdrop.

I've had the same problem and may also try your approach. That would be a lot cheaper than a Noga arm, which was my other thought.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    I've had the same problem and may also try your approach. That would be a lot cheaper than a Noga arm, which was my other thought.
    If you don't mind import versions, the Noga type arms can be bought for much less money.

Dial Test Indicator Holder Arm - Magnetic Base & Stands - Measuring - Products

Universal Flexible Magnetic Metal Base Holder Stand Dial Test Indicator Tool New | eBay

What light setup is that you have on the spindle?
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    What light setup is that you have on the spindle?
    LED ring is from Tormach:
    32700 - Pro Ring Light with SuperBright LEDs

On my 3D printer I made this spacer so the ring would fit better on the spindle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LED Ring Spacer.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	300342
    "You can't teach stuff in a school that you would learn in real life unless the real life people are in charge of the school." - Gene Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by 109jb View Post
    If you don't mind import versions, the Noga type arms can be bought for much less money.
    Thanks but for me, the arm is a tool that gets used enough to make it worth buying one of the better models on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Thanks but for me, the arm is a tool that gets used enough to make it worth buying one of the better models on the market.
    Even for just holding the fogbuster nozzle like you were discussing here??

Quote Originally Posted by dammachines View Post
    After using a real noga and then using any of the cheaper units its easy to see Mikes thinking. Slight twist and you can reposition, another and you can lock in place. I have a few cheaper units that take 3x the effort to do same thing and one unit is hard to keep tight and in position unless you crank on it! I will admit I would not use my noga for this function. I make "magnetic pucks" I call them, for everything in the shop with uber strong magnets and replaced my fog-buster base long ago with one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by dammachines View Post
    Past experience suggests that it will also see other uses and the cheaper arms I have now aren't up to the FogBuster job. I'll just wait for a good deal to come along on a Noga arm so I can just cry once.

I haven't had the same experience with the import arms. I have several and all are very easy to position and hold very well. I don't have a NOGA brand arm, but I do have a Fowler version on a mag base as well as the imports and I can't tell any difference. To each his own.

I added a 2nd fogbuster to my Tormach and I am using 1/2 locline for both nozzles - just as support. I also changed out the tubing.because I wanted to run it inside the loc-line. So I got some 3/16" OD tubing from McMaster (P/N 5231K948). This tubing is a lot more flexible then the stock fogbuster tubing. You have to be sure not to kink it, but it's easy to avoid any kinks. Here's a picture of my new setup.

Attachment 301194

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151217_145220.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	301196

Clever solution! The next iteration ought to be more interesting yet.

Scott,

Thanks for posting going to have try this with my fog buster.

Did the 1/2" make any noticeable differnce over the 1/4?

.adrian