585,670 active members*
4,079 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Sprutcam 9

Sprutcam 9

Has anybody had any issues or problems importing igs. files and finding that you're missing quite a few surfaces. I can take that same igs file loaded into another CAD system and have no problems viewing it, I was just curious if there was a setting in Sprutcam 9 that maybe I need to tweak a little.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Re: Sprutcam 9

I have problems from time to time in Sprut 7 with .igs files, I had one today in a waterline op, It would not generate the toolpath. I finally went back to Rhino and redrew the offending part reimported it and it worked fine.
    There is no reason for this, Rhino says the file is valid but it wont work in sprut, a quick redraw and it works fine, this happens relatively often in Sprut for me.
    mike sr

Believe it or not I imported the file into freecad software then I exported it out just change the name without doing anything to it and it worked fine. You may want to just try it before you redraw it in rhino Just to see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by Michigan Ed View Post
    Believe it or not I imported the file into freecad software then I exported it out just change the name without doing anything to it and it worked fine. You may want to just try it before you redraw it in rhino Just to see what happens

Usually the files that I have problems with are ones that have been modified (wire cut, split etc), I redraw them, or the affected area and they work fine.
    mike sr

Only direct igs problem I have found in sprut is sphere type objects don't import or render correctly. Make a hole in the sphere and your good to go. I would expect a few problems like this here and there because the igs file spec has changed over time and the cad or cam system software might be on slightly different specs. As pops suggest redrawing a part without all the edge editing, chopping, cutting and surfing will help a great deal with import success. The process ed suggests also helps clean up the igs data set. I have used bobcad many times to import and export drawing formats and provide good igs files for sprut to use. Rule of thumb with sprut is if you don't succeed , try try again. sooner or later you get it to work.