585,727 active members*
3,982 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Wiring documentation for CNC Bridgeport Series 1 R2C3

Wiring documentation for CNC Bridgeport Series 1 R2C3

I recently picked up a CNC Bridgeport Series 1 R2C3 with a Heidenhain TNC 145 controller in very nice condition. This is one of the Bridgeport/Textron machines.

Unfortunately, the machine is wired for 460V, and I only have 230V.

Looking in the control enclosure, it looks like it would be quite straight-forward to re-wire the controls to run on 220V (there aren't too many mains-connected components), but I'd very much like to confirm this.

Does anyone have any sort of documentation for this CNC? The controller is well documented, but the integration with the bridgeport is not. The wiring is goregous, and every single wire is labeled, so there must be comprehensive documentation for it somewhere.

The nameplate on the electrical box says it should match diagram number 1935749, but the only reference to that number I can find is someone else also looking for documentation.

Re: Wiring documentation for CNC Bridgeport Series 1 R2C3

I believe there is a wiring diagram posted in this very forum it may be an interact but they are very close

swap the terminals on the main big transformer everything goes through it

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    I recently picked up a CNC Bridgeport Series 1 R2C3 with a Heidenhain TNC 145 controller in very nice condition. This is one of the Bridgeport/Textron machines.

Unfortunately, the machine is wired for 460V, and I only have 230V.

Looking in the control enclosure, it looks like it would be quite straight-forward to re-wire the controls to run on 220V (there aren't too many mains-connected components), but I'd very much like to confirm this.

Does anyone have any sort of documentation for this CNC? The controller is well documented, but the integration with the bridgeport is not. The wiring is goregous, and every single wire is labeled, so there must be comprehensive documentation for it somewhere.

The nameplate on the electrical box says it should match diagram number 1935749, but the only reference to that number I can find is someone else also looking for documentation.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    I believe there is a wiring diagram posted in this very forum it may be an interact but they are very close

swap the terminals on the main big transformer everything goes through it
    I've been trying to find it, and not having any luck. Can you point me at a thread?

Incidentally, the interact control enclosure is completely different.

the wiring is different but the same

I have both in my shop they are different but the same. The R2C3 is beefier

Attachment 300928Click image for larger version. 

Name:	interactwiring4.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	203.0 KB 
ID:	300930

- - - Updated - - -

if this doesn't work for you search my old posts these were scanned in 2007 I may have done the R2C3 also

the wiring is different but the same

if this doesn't work for you search my old posts these were scanned in 2007 I may have done the R2C3 also
    Either you didn't scan it, or I'm failing at search. I went through a lot of your post history from that era, and didn't see it.

they are for all intents and purposes the same
    you don't need a wiring diagram, the voltages are marked on the transformer

Similar is not identical or compatible.

Additionally, some one has been in the cabinet and rewired at least a few things (no zip ties in some places). Additionally, *I* may want to do some modifications.

I [i]know[i] they're similar, but they're very much not identical. I'm hoping to be able to figure out what, if anything has been changed.

I'd be happy to pay for scans of the documentation, I want it on hand for the future as well. I intend to have this machine around for a while, and the controller already had a bunch of blown capacitors and has some additional issues I haven't yet diagnosed (I just discovered this last night). If I need to replace it entirely, having the wiring diagrams will be tremendously helpful.

The TNC-145 service manual Heidenhain has available is such a shi tty scan you can't even make out the voltage on the power supply interconnect wiring diagram. Fortunately, the german version has much better diagrams, and I can guess the german meaning or look it up, so if need be I can build a complete replacement power-supply. However, I'm not sure if anything else blew out when the output caps failed.

---

Basically, I want to be able to maintain my machine in the future, without having to guess about what wire switches what if I need to fix something.

Since you seem to have actual physical documentation, I'd happily reimburse you for your time for scans of the manuals, if you're willing.

I just looked at my machine

the motor is dual voltage and is wiring is marked on the case of the motor

transformer has the voltage conversion marked in big bold letters on the front of the transformer

I have had mine for 22 years, and have replaced to the best of my recollection, exactly zero items in that cabinet. I recontrolled it with a TNC151, replaced a y axis servo motor, a brake arm, vari speed belt, coolant pump.....air filter.....

In other words, unless you are going to retro it, leave it alone, the machine is bulletproof. Find a 151 which is full 3 axis, or 155 which has graphics and a spare working monitor and you will be good for years.

BTW the 'control' is entirely in the one foot cube behind the keypad. it is pin for pin compatible with a TNC 151 and IIRC 155. I did have to run one wire when I sold my old Interact and went backwards to a 145 and I think it had to do with a limit switch.
    SO if you were to recontrol it with the same servo drives, all the wires are right there and marked in the interact wiring diagram, as they are identical in all machines

In other words, unless you are going to retro it, leave it alone, the machine is bulletproof. Find a 151 which is full 3 axis, or 155 which has graphics and a spare working monitor and you will be good for years.
    That's my point, the controller is in the process of failing. I've already re-capped part of the power supply, and it's still having issues. If I can't fix it, I'll probably move to a more modern control (I've written a fair bit of software for Galil Motion controllers, and they go for cheap on ebay).

Anyways, Even if I don't ever have to do anything, I still want the docs just for future-proofing. As I said, I'm willing to pay for scans.

---

I'm not sure what your point is. If you're arguing that I can probably figure out how to get it running (barring controller issues) now, you are probably correct.

If you're arguing that having documentation on hand, particularly when I plan on having this machine for 10+ years, is not necessary.... wut?

In your OP you said you had a R2C3 in good condition but needed to convert it to 220

I gave you the information you needed.

If you cannot convert a machine from 440 to 230 when it is labelled on the machine, I would hesitate to consider converting it to another control

The R2C3 has no 100 volt supply as the Bosch drives invert on the fly. The weakest part of the machine is the slow acceleration due to the Bosch drives, and thus replacing the drives means gutting the cabinet.

Find a TNC151, call Heidenhain in Schaumberg to see if they will still work on the internal power supply

In OP, I thought I had a R2C3 in good condition. I subsequently got impatient, and wired up mains to the TNC145 controller directly (it just runs off 120VAC), and discovered I had more issues.

Anyways, I've torn down the controller, found one exploded cap in the main power supply, and a bunch that look like they're leaking in the monitor. Hopefully the issues are just bad caps (there's soldering flux in a few places, both in the monitor and the main power supply, so someone has done work on the controller before, I'd wager). I'll replace those, and hope that their failure didn't cascade anywhere else. I can build a replacement power supply (the german manual has the info I need to do that, but it'd be a lot of work).
    Anyways, caps from digikey are cheap, and I have the tools to do electronic repair work.

My primary concern with re-capping the power supplies is that they're doing something clever in the switching PSU, and the caps have a required ESR value that I don't know. That's not something I can evaluate for without completely tracing out the PCB, so at the moment I'm just going to hope. It doesn't work now, so I can't make it much worse. It's not a complicated PSU (it just uses a few TL494 SMPS controller ICs, they're still used everywhere to this day and readily available) so even if I blow out all the power devices, it's not the end of the world.

I don't *need* the drawings, but they'll sure make my life easier. I spent a little time following the mains AC path in the cabinet, and it goes off into the main wiring bundle at one point, for a reason I don't know. Switching the taps on the transformers is straight-forward enough, but I'm primarily concerned about what the mains going off into the wiring bundle is doing, and I'd really really like to avoid having to unbundle all the wiring. Someone has been in the cabinet and retrofitted a spray-mist system at some point, and I suspect that it's the thing run off the suspicious wires (it's mains AC wires terminate to the enormous terminal block on the left-hand side of the cabinet, which I didn't think had AC on it at all).

need
    wiring digram for bridgeport interact 520

It’s nice to find some people familiar with the R2C3 machine. K have a to. Of encoder issues. Most recent problem is a gross poitioning error. In the Y axis. I tried tweeting the Y parameter from .080 to .025. Not a who lot of change. If I run at 100% or higher it alarms out on the rapid moves. Any insight would be appreciated! Todd