585,926 active members*
3,647 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Machine move: remove from stand necessary?

Machine move: remove from stand necessary?

So unfortunately my lease got yanked and I have to move my shop at the end of January, so am starting to think about how to move my 1100. It's looking like the new location will be about five miles away over nearly-flat city roads. Am wondering how necessary it is to take the machine off the stand for this. I'll either be driving the truck or in the cab so will have some control over that but this is a trip through downtown Boston so potholes, crazy drivers, etc.

Re: Machine move: remove from stand necessary?

I moved one on the stand across town, although were I to do it again, I'd probably separate the two.

I wouldn't take the chance. While it is a bit inconvenient to take it off the stand, it doesn't take all that long.

I also recommend unlocking the panel and strapping/taping the door shut. The latch on mine broke when I was transporting the mill.

bob

I had mine my PCNC 1100 moved by a professional machinery mover. He moved it as one piece. He loaded it with a fork lift, strapped it down and moved it to my new location.

He charged me $400.00, and for that price, I wasn't going to mess with trying to move it myself.

The mover started out at about $550.00, but I told him I'll pay cash and I don't need a receipt.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Yeah, for $400 I'd pay someone else to do it, too, but I'm in downtown Boston where everything costs $$$. Asking around I've been told I'd be lucky to get it done for under $2k. Heck, I asked a local machine shop for a quote to broach a 4mm keyway in a 1" brass gear, and they told me they'd be happy to do it for $250 including the cash discount.

I'm going to have use of a forklift and both buildings have a loading dock so this isn't a huge deal--a lot easier than when I set it up the first time with an engine crane. Main PITA will be building a pallet for it.

Quote Originally Posted by sansbury View Post
    Yeah, for $400 I'd pay someone else to do it, too, but I'm in downtown Boston where everything costs $$$. Asking around I've been told I'd be lucky to get it done for under $2k. Heck, I asked a local machine shop for a quote to broach a 4mm keyway in a 1" brass gear, and they told me they'd be happy to do it for $250 including the cash discount.

I'm going to have use of a forklift and both buildings have a loading dock so this isn't a huge deal--a lot easier than when I set it up the first time with an engine crane. Main PITA will be building a pallet for it.
    You might try riggers farther out from the Boston metropolitan area or even piano movers or folks that do gun safes. I'm in the Chicago area and a suburban rigger estimated $600 to move the Tormach lathe from my garage to the basement. I'm just about ready to test his estimate. More "urban" riggers had estimated $2k to do the same move on my PCNC 1100 about 8 years ago. The suburban rigger charged me $200 to move an 1100-lb manual lathe 14 miles from a commercial shop to my garage so long as I was willing to wait until he had a larger load going the same way.

I used a company called Town to Town movers out in Worcester for a move. I don't remember the exact cost, but I believe it was under $800 to move the entire office, including a Prazi mill. If you decide to do it yourself, I'm in the Boston area and could potentially help, date dependent. My customary moving charge is a six-pack of something good. PM if you're interested.

I left mine on the stand, and didn't use a pallet. Just took the feet off and strapped it to the trailer (300 mile trip).. its real top heavy, so strap the crap out if it if you go that route. to pull it off, I just set it on a rug and used my lawn tractor to tow it off the trailer lol.. (then picked it up with a cherry picker)

I have moved my 1100 twice ,while it sat on the "delux" stand...... about miles 60 miles each time by renting a "drop deck" trailer which allows the pallet jack truck to roll right up on the

trailer deck.....Trailer deck is about 3'' off the ground in the lowered position.

By rolling right up to the beginning of the ramp, and putting 4" blocks under the PCNC stand and dropping it there and then pushing the pallet jack truck on through and across the slight ledge and

starting up the very slight ramp ,hook a "come-along" to the jack truck, then lift again, and it and pull it on.

I have loaded and hauled countless bridgeport type mills this way too.

When its all the way on lower it onto a couple of 3 ft long 4 X4's and the jack truck is lowered and rides nice ,loose underneath.

I think It's appropriate to be obsessive about strapping ....and blocking the bottom of the base so it can no way move forward or sideways.....I mean cuttin 2X4's 2X6"s to length front and sides and

screw-nailing them in really well. It easily could take me two hours solid work sawing blocking, screwnailing and strapping AFTER the thing is upon the trailer

Another thought is that although these high dollar movers may be "professionals" in some sense ......NOBODY cares as much about your machine as you do, and probably nobody else.....will be willing to

take the time to strap it down as

well and as carefully as you would.

Thanks
    Dave Lawrence