585,978 active members*
4,345 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

China laser started firing laser during rapid moves

My china laser started firing the laser during rapid moves. The Laser power supply is new (about 2 hours old) and during my first project, this happens. Also as per my previous post regarding the poor laser quality at power levels over 40%, I'm wondering if they are related. I could sure use some guidance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015-12-14-184200.jpg  

Re: China laser started firing laser during rapid moves

When you do a simulation does it show the lines between the moves

It shouldn't be a power supply issue, maybe a controller issue though. As fixtureman1 said, check the output simulation first - if its there then its a graphics issue. Next maybe hook up a meter to the power supply/controller interface wires and see if the power is 'turning off' when it should - you might have to slow it down but you can do it with laser off - control won't care.

One input wire should be full voltage of the controller (approx 5v) and one should vary from 0-100% of that first value (which gives you your power level from the controller to the power supply).
    In case anyone is wondering, I'm the twin of the other gfacer on cnczone...

Quote Originally Posted by gfacer2 View Post
    It shouldn't be a power supply issue, maybe a controller issue though. As fixtureman1 said, check the output simulation first - if its there then its a graphics issue. Next maybe hook up a meter to the power supply/controller interface wires and see if the power is 'turning off' when it should - you might have to slow it down but you can do it with laser off - control won't care.

One input wire should be full voltage of the controller (approx 5v) and one should vary from 0-100% of that first value (which gives you your power level from the controller to the power supply).
    Thanks for the input, I will be checking this tomorrow. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fixtureman1 View Post
    When you do a simulation does it show the lines between the moves
    Nope, not visible in the simulation.
    Its also firing the laser when running the frame; but not during any manual moves. I have the laser power supply out and sent back. A replacement should be by the end of the week.

what model of your controller?
    I think you change the default setting.

I took a screen capture of the system info. See the attached image. As you can see, this machine is all but brand new! The problem started while running a program. You can see where the laser started staying on during the rapid moves starting at the number 1.Attachment 301054Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-12-14-184200.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	301056

I did some voltage checks, all measurements taken from the laser power supply output at the controller.
    Gnd to L-0no1 4.52 volts
    GND to LPWM1 -.004 idle and moves to 2.52 when the machine is moving on its own such as running a program or track. When moving any axis in manual, no change in voltage from idle.
    Thanks for the help guys, this thing is got me stumped!
    I should also mention this machine was purchased on 12/4/2015, how do I get someone to stand behind this controller if it is the problem?

So when it is doing the rapids, it shows 2.52v? If it does then the laser is doing what the controller said (ie being on). So that could mean its a controller issue (telling it to be on when it isn't supposed to) or maybe some sort of output issue to the controller (like from rdcam - is that the program? - looks like mine on the run time screen). I'll take a peek and see if I have any setting which might cause that.

Can you grab a screen shot of the simulation? You didn't import a plotter file or something that might show tranverses (No maybe not - tried that and nothing for me).

So when it is doing the rapids, it shows 2.52v? If it does then the laser is doing what the controller said (ie being on). So that could mean its a controller issue (telling it to be on when it isn't supposed to) or maybe some sort of output issue to the controller (like from rdcam - is that the program? - looks like mine on the run time screen). I'll take a peek and see if I have any setting which might cause that.
    I agree the control seems to be the issue. Yes, RDcam is the software. Due to the fact the problem happened midway through a job makes me think its not a programming issue, but I have been wrong so many times in the past, I'm open to all suggestions. What are the thought a bad ground somewhere on the system could be the cause. At this time, I haven't been able to find any bad connections. Bill N

Well then the easiest (sort of) thing to do is replace the controller and see if it goes away (or try another program that was saved prior to the issue and see if it still happens. And the usual check connections, maybe try from ufile, reload to the machine etc.

Can you grab a screen shot of the simulation? You didn't import a plotter file or something that might show tranverses (No maybe not - tried that and nothing for me).
    Here ya go. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2015-12-16 19:11:06.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	301090

Hmm - yeah so I'd check trying to get the file on to the laser by another way (ufile I guess) but otherwise looks like a controller issue I guess.

Hmm - yeah so I'd check trying to get the file on to the laser by another way (ufile I guess) but otherwise looks like a controller issue I guess.
    Post an interior photo of your machine where we can see which parent that u have to try to help you better ....

please check the your software.
    1. open delay and close delay has set "0" ms? and no tick the "laser through mode".
    2. singal level is high? or low?
    Attachment 301106
    Attachment 301108

The signal level is set to low. The open and close delay are both set to 0 with the laser through mode being checked. Is the signal level correct, it seems that is what it was set to from the start. Bill N

maybe every supplier is different, we will set it "high" at the start, please change it to" high", and cut something again.
    let us know the result after you do it.

Hi Nolan, I made the change from low to high and the problem is still there. Please know, at this time I don't have a laser power supply installed. I am checking the voltage at the ground and l-pwm1 terminals of the controller. It starts at -.004 volts and when I tell it to track the outline of the program, the voltage goes up to 2.52 volts. This would tell the laser to fire. Is this correct? Bill N

Page 1 of 2 12