585,763 active members*
4,328 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > MadCAM > Project Curves Engraving Problem in Simulator

Project Curves Engraving Problem in Simulator

I am trying to engrave/machine text into part. I've tried a couple different scenarios and they all wind up with the cutter taking shortcuts in the simulator and going through the part. Most areas it picks up and traverses to new starting point but in a few instances it just connects two curves (text objects) together. Instead of dotting the "i" it makes a "I" and the "t" has a nice little triangle on top, and a few letters and numbers are connected etc. Any recommendations on how to prevent this. I've gone to the simplest font possible, started out with fancy font and doing boolean diff to do more machining but now I just want something to work simple then I'll attempt to advance my skills here... Oh I even ungrouped the text and tried to do it one Projection curve at a time and I still had some issues in the simulator.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Project Curves Engraving Problem in Simulator

I am using Project Curves all the time, would you mind uploading a simple model you have problems with and I can have a look?

Here is rhino file, just simplClick image for larger version. 

Name:	simulator.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	301064e christmas ornament to give away... 2 files included one with "fancy font" and one with simple. Here is a shot of simulator showing issue as well.

You need to go into your tool library and reduce the cut link distance. Make it something small like 0.01mm (.0004"). That might be a bit extreme, but it will definitely force retracts at the end of each segment.

Attachment 301084

Also, if you raise the box top a bit, and then check off the "Retract to box top" checkbox, you will get nice clearances between letters, but no wasted approach time if you keep the safe clearance height low. Here is my settings (in metric):

Attachment 301082

Hope this helps,

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

@Dan, not Along Curves, is Project Curves.

I tried one of your files and I just took a cutter from my library (that has cut-link set to 1 by the way).
    These are the settings I used in Project Curves. Please note that the cut is deep because I didn't simulate a surfacing, I'm cutting in the raw material so to speak.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PC.jpg  

Hi Sven, you are correct, I missed that. I still think the OP should look at his cut link distance. If the value is too great madCAM will try to eliminate retracts and join the curves.

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi Dan B and svenakela,

Thanks for info and quick response. Dan's "link" setup did the trick in the simulator. sadly I went to go run it and right after I got it setup I had a problem with the drawbar on the tool holder so I've been busy tearing that down to repair in an attempt to make Santa Claus deliveries! It's tough trying to be an elf, LOL... Today some new 8mm air line is supposed to arrive so hopefully tonight I'm operational again and can test it out. Sadly 8mm air line is not widely available in the USA locally. I'll provide additional feedback once I have it running.

Additional Comment/Question:
    Just for my understanding the way I interpret the "link" setup is it is looking at a min distance between similar features to "retract" otherwise it will "connect" them... is this a fair statement of this config?

Thanks again.

Yes, that's a correct assumption.