584,802 active members*
4,926 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Diemaking / Diecutting > brass die making for leatherwork

brass die making for leatherwork

Hi everyone, I am new here and need of professional advice. I do a lot of leather working and started to think if I can make my own dies for random logos, emboss designs and rationalization requests I get. Attached is a sample of a die for leather work. It is 3cm x 3cm. I would be using either copper or brass as I have a QuikPrint 86 hot foil machine that I would use to press into the leather. I want to see if it would be a worthy investment for me to get my own machine. I am pretty good with cad and design software, so it would not be too hard to learn new software. Now I just dont know what machine I should get.

Any help to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Re: brass die making for leatherwork

I'd suggest getting a US-made Taig CNC mill for doing this sort of thing. It's designed for cutting metal, unlike most routers which claim the ability to cut wood and aluminum, but don't really have the rigidity required for metals. As long as you don't need to cut anything bigger than its part envelope, it should work fine for you. We sell them at a discount, lower than factory-direct.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    I'd suggest getting a US-made Taig CNC mill for doing this sort of thing. It's designed for cutting metal, unlike most routers which claim the ability to cut wood and aluminum, but don't really have the rigidity required for metals. As long as you don't need to cut anything bigger than its part envelope, it should work fine for you. We sell them at a discount, lower than factory-direct.
    Thanks for the fast reply! Now how accurate are the taig cnc machines, would I have to upgrade the cutter? Smallest font I'd go would probably be around 8pt font and some fine lines.

Thoughts?

The Taig machines are as accurate as anything in their price range, but "accuracy" is hard to quantify. There are a lot of variables to consider, like temperature fluctuations and cutter deflection, which can make a part differ from the CAD model irrespective of the machine it was cut on. For the sort of things you're doing, which don't require mechanical parts that fit together exactly, the Taig is plenty accurate enough.

The stock Taig spindle runs at 10,000 RPM, which is fast for a milling machine. But if you're using very tiny cutters, it can help to swap out the spindle for an air turbine or something else that's a lot faster. Fortunately, the Taig system is flexible enough that this isn't hard to do.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

I second the suggestion of a Taig machine (I don't own one, but I've heard good things). You can buy them ready to hook up to CNC motors and controls. Combined with a Gecko G540 based system, you can't go wrong.

The Taig will be able to tackle pretty much anything you would be using it for, though consider everything you might want to do with the machine in the future. For instance, right now I am also working with fairly small parts, but one of my next projects will involve 12"x12"x2" iron castings. Because of this, I am building a Grizzly G0704 based CNC mill to accommodate the variety of parts I require.

-John